Amber soundbar configuration

W

Wuaysi

Audiophyte
Hello

I have an AMBEO Max soundbar paired with a REL HT1205 MKII sub.

I am trying to set it up and have done the following:

1. Set crossover to max on the REL sub per the AMBEO manual.
2. Set gain to 60% on the REL sub.
3. Ran the AMBEO sound calibration.
4. The sub can only go in one position unfortunately due to room aesthetics.

This is quite a large room, 6x6m with 6m ceilings. I fully expect not to get the greatest sound experience but to me the sub needs to be louder. I couldn't put a ported sub in there as I don't have the space (ironically lol).

1. What should I be setting the AMBEO soundbar sub gain to? From memory it goes from -12dB to 12dB (app not in front of me at the moment).
2. Is it safe to increase the gain on the REL sub to get more out of it? Is there a limit on what the gain should not exceed? I'm not to fussed if the sub lasts 5 years instead of 10 years, or 10 years instead of 15 years.
3. Am I doing anything else incorrectly?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello

I have an AMBEO Max soundbar paired with a REL HT1205 MKII sub.

I am trying to set it up and have done the following:

1. Set crossover to max on the REL sub per the AMBEO manual.
2. Set gain to 60% on the REL sub.
3. Ran the AMBEO sound calibration.
4. The sub can only go in one position unfortunately due to room aesthetics.

This is quite a large room, 6x6m with 6m ceilings. I fully expect not to get the greatest sound experience but to me the sub needs to be louder. I couldn't put a ported sub in there as I don't have the space (ironically lol).

1. What should I be setting the AMBEO soundbar sub gain to? From memory it goes from -12dB to 12dB (app not in front of me at the moment).
2. Is it safe to increase the gain on the REL sub to get more out of it? Is there a limit on what the gain should not exceed? I'm not to fussed if the sub lasts 5 years instead of 10 years, or 10 years instead of 15 years.
3. Am I doing anything else incorrectly?
The first thing to try is to increase the volume to the sub.

This may not solve your issue. Soundbars are very Low-Fi contrpations with puny speakers and can not possibly produce good sound. So the sound bar will produce no heft at all.

Bass actually extends out way above sub range to at least 500 Hz.

So even under the best of circumstances there will be a significant gap between a sound bar and a sub.

I can't imagine you don't have room for decent speakers and subs in a room that size.

I never understand this aesthetic nonsense. Speakers do not detract from the aesthetic of a room any more than a couch or table. In fact many speakers look a lot better than most room furniture. There is so much interior design BS about this that it is enough to overload any sewage system. Done right, good sound systems do not detract from room aesthetics but can and should enhance it.

I know what does detract, and that is a puny soundbar stuck under a big screen TV is a large space. That looks and is stupid.

By the way, I think you mean Ambeo sound bar. Those a very expensive. You could have bought a decent system for that money. You pretty much flushed money down the toilet.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For a best performing sub I certainly wouldn't choose Rel. However, you don't want the sub trim level in the soundbar to be -12 as that simply indicates you have gain on the sub set too high and need to lower it let alone raise it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis