Alternative for Emotiva XPA-2 Amp

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
When you quote it would be nice if you didn't do it out of context.

In post 20:

Billy said: You are always pushing DIY & pro audio...

My rejoinder was: And you are always pushing Pre-built and consumer audio gear. That is what is called a reciprocal trajectory. And when I said What an idiotic statement... It was. I didn't call anyone an idiot. I said the statement was idiotic.

To this very moment NO ONE HERE, in context of the amps I have mentioned, have as of yet posted a single scintilla of data driven evidence as to their SQ inferiority. Neither a single scintilla of data driven evidence why it won't be driven properly by his Emotiva gear.

Sorry conjecture doesn't fly with me. Do you have anything of merit to actually contribute. You could at least back your view point up.

In post 29:

My response of:

Sorry to stand up and point all this out but it's pure ignorance to make such blatant, blanket, statements like this. Was to post 28

There were two blanket statements made:

1. Class D blowing out Tweeters (ReUpRo handled this with a very informative read)

2. The entire pre-amp impedance issues

Sorry but it was indeed a blanket statement that was made in ignorance. It is what it is. What you may not care for is my not sugar coating it. It doesn't mean it's belittlement. I even asked for clarification on pre-amp impedance issues. I can only assume we are talking about input vs output impedance but the conversation on point 2 didn't go any further when I asked for more clarity.
And the point is not WHETHER OR NOT YOU FELT JUSTIFIED, the context is not the point. It's that you made belittling comments and still do not realize it, and it has nothing to do with sugar coating. At the end of the day, if you can't make your points without personal attacks(while being a moderator to boot), then what's the point?

Okay, I'm out of here, I don't think there's anything further to say on this topic, an amp purchase should be fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I have no problem with you, I don't know you and this is just the internet so no harm no foul. You just seemed to get REALLY offended that I don't care for Emotiva amps and I have no idea why. Take a look again and notice that I indeed gave you positive (+) rep. Sure I wrote a little jab in there but don't take it so personally everyone is in this thread because we share the interest in audio and all have our preferences.

I am really interested to see which direction ematthews ends up going with his amp choice.

No harm no foul? I didn't get offended, go back and read my post, you said that it emo was a "comical joke" and I quoted you and asked if you ever heard any emo gear, heres the thing, you caught me at a time where I had enough of know nothing clowns starting arguments, making snyde comments, and "jabs" {thats your word, because in real life you couldn't lace my gloves}.
So go back to your moms basement or where ever you live and block me from AH so you cant see my activity, I notice you got rid of your sig and ignored me asking for pics of you "high end" mcintosh gear, at least Im not on here lying about it, I say I have what I have and all of us have seen the pics and most where here for me picking choosing and testing the gear when I was purchasing it, I say I heard something it means I heard it, I own something it means I own it, want pics, I got them...
heres a pic of my system, lets see your mcintosh, you can tell this is my house thats my reflection in the window, and I don't know anyone else 6'5" with 24"+ biceps and wharfedale 2.2, so hate me for bragging if you will but I work hard for what I have not that my stereo is anything great, {you want to see "great" check out acudefs's and flyboys systems, thats awesome stuff}...

lets see your system, then maybe I can take you half way seriously, and if I seemed to have been offended by your emo comment, maybe I should be, I met dan and his family {wife and daughter} and if you are making statements like that with out ever buying or even hearing his gear, your a huge douch# b@g, because thats a family you are bad mouthing, not just a product, someone reads your post and doesnt realize you are a good for nothing troll and he loses money {not that most would take you seriously}...

I apologize to the OP, I think your best bet would be the Outlaw 2200's I like them just as much as my xpa2's... heres picture of mine, sorry for crudding up your topic, get the 2200's and try them out, I smash on mine and they dont even get warm...
also if your mains aren't under 8 phm and you dont need more than 150 watts how about a pair of dayton apa150s ran mono, I use these too and they sound really good, thy have fans but a good sounding set of amp {Ill post a pic if you like}, and they can be bought for $300 a pair, not bad for a/b mono blocks.... although they are originally an emo design, used to be the bpa1...

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

And the point is not WHETHER OR NOT YOU FELT JUSTIFIED, the context is not the point. It's that you made belittling comments and still do not realize it, and it has nothing to do with sugar coating. At the end of the day, if you can't make your points without personal attacks(while being a moderator to boot), then what's the point?

Okay, I'm out of here, I don't think there's anything further to say on this topic, an amp purchase should be fun.
We'll have to agree to disagree I guess. I hope the OP is willing to try some of the options presented. I would hate for a year or two go down the road and he waived off some of the brands presented only to hear them and feel he was somehow misled or lied to just based on some ones preconceived notions or BIAS.

I don't know if he is going to like all or not any of the mentions here. The difference being you don't see me trying to dissuade him from doing so.

I'm still waiting for a technical, data and fact driven reply from you. Is one forthcoming or not? If yes lets start a dedicated thread as this has run it's course and doesn't directly serve the OP's desires for amps to consider.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

also if your mains aren't under 8 phm and you dont need more than 150 watts how about a pair of dayton apa150s ran mono, I use these too and they sound really good, thy have fans but a good sounding set of amp {Ill post a pic if you like}, and they can be bought for $300 a pair, not bad for a/b mono blocks.... although they are originally an emo design, used to be the bpa1...
I think at one point Marantz also used the same. The APA150's are really good bang for the buck considering no channel cross talk.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I think at one point Marantz also used the same. The APA150's are really good bang for the buck considering no channel cross talk.
I have them branded as carver, lol.. Except the carvers are just the same chassis they are 200w x1 and 100x2 vs 75 and 150... They have a larger transformer and the boards look different, I also have a pair of the daytons, I have 4 of the carvers though, heres a pic of them as carvers...
I use them too power my jade 5's and them are 6ohm and they don't break a sweat... I had some little black walnut and cherry stands made, they have spikes on the bottom and everything lol...

jinjuku

jinjuku

I have them branded as carver, lol.. Except the carvers are just the same chassis they are 200w x1 and 100x2 vs 75 and 150... They have a larger transformer and the boards look different, I also have a pair of the daytons, I have 4 of the carvers though, heres a pic of them as carvers...
I use them too power my jade 5's and them are 6ohm and they don't break a sweat... I had some little black walnut and cherry stands made, they have spikes on the bottom and everything lol...
It seems to be a popular chassis. I found the 150 watt Marantz for $80 a pop used for member here (Habanero Monk) he used them to drive his LSi 9's. And those are 4 ohm. The amps never broke a sweat on those either.

Unfortunately after about 2 years one developed some noise and it wasn't worth the cost and hassle of replacing the gain pot.

He's using a Yamaha P2500S now and likes it very much. He's looking to up his speaker game next and certainly has an amp that will allow him to do so with out worrying about it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not sure what theory you are trying to promote here. My take away from what you have written is that 'pro-amps' somehow have a signature for some genres of music? But that doesn't sound right coming from you so I will wait for your reply.
Thanks for the wait for my clarifications. That's a good thing as you did misunderstand the point I tried to make. "Theory" is the wrong word, poor choice on my part. I meant logic, not theory, and my logic is that if, and only if, amplified concerts and studio recordings use pro amps extensively, then people who mainly listen to rocks and pops should not have to worry about pro amps regardless of whether they are inferior or superior to home audio amps. I asked you those questions about use of proamps/equipment in recording studios because somehow I assume you know much more about recording/mastering than me, at least in terms of what equipment are used.

As for those who mainly listen to unamplified music reccordings then this logic would not apply, but I never meant to say pro amps have a signature. The logic is like, if A is true, then B (proamp) must be good, but if A is not true, B can still be good. Again, I am applying logic here, not stating my own opinion.

In my opinion, and that is based on the fact that I have been to enough amplified concerts (though I tried to avoid if possible) to know that aside from their pro looks that I do not prefer, I would not hesitate to use them in my 2 channel system for serious/critical music enjoyment. That is not surprising, given that their specs indicate flat frequency response from 20 to 20,000, high damping factor, low impedance capable and low distortion etc.

Last edited:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
We'll have to agree to disagree I guess. I hope the OP is willing to try some of the options presented. I would hate for a year or two go down the road and he waived off some of the brands presented only to hear them and feel he was somehow misled or lied to just based on some ones preconceived notions or BIAS.

I don't know if he is going to like all or not any of the mentions here. The difference being you don't see me trying to dissuade him from doing so.

I'm still waiting for a technical, data and fact driven reply from you. Is one forthcoming or not? If yes lets start a dedicated thread as this has run it's course and doesn't directly serve the OP's desires for amps to consider.
I am taking a serious look at the PA stuff. A lot cheaper option is a good thing. As long as it is silent and sounds good.. I have some only Onkyo in the garage and the 805 AV and they are not nearly as quiet as the Emotiva..

jinjuku

jinjuku

I am taking a serious look at the PA stuff. A lot cheaper option is a good thing. As long as it is silent and sounds good.. I have some only Onkyo in the garage and the 805 AV and they are not nearly as quiet as the Emotiva..
One thing I can tell you about Crown is that their customer service is outstanding. Their warranties are No-Fault.

I had an IC 150 Pre-amp from them. In 1996 it was 19 years old. The volume pot FINALLY wore out. I called Crown. Initially they said they couldn't do anything about it.

3 days later I get a call back from a Crown tech: Send it on in. One of our guys had bagged parts at home.

I send it in. They not only replaced the volume pot, but balance and the source select assembly. They charged me $62 dollars and shipped it back on their dime.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
If these PA amps are this good and at this price, why aren't more people using them. I can pick up the Yamaha 3500 for just over 500. Twice the power of the Parasound at half the price. I am being a skeptic... I tend to lean towards you get what you pay for since it's happened so often to me... Just look at where I am with the Emotiva brand.. Now I am stuck looking to buy and find a different brand..

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
If these PA amps are this good and at this price, why aren't more people using them. I can pick up the Yamaha 3500 for just over 500. Twice the power of the Parasound at half the price. I am being a skeptic... I tend to lean towards you get what you pay for since it's happened so often to me... Just look at where I am with the Emotiva brand.. Now I am stuck looking to buy and find a different brand..
Aesthetics, preconceived notions, longstanding opinions that haven't kept up with the developing technology, among other reasons.

Besides, there aren't many "average" consumers that are going to look at the pretty case, weight, and price of most class A/B amps then look at a "Pro" amp and intuitively pick the "Pro" amp as the one that is the best value or that they'll sound more alike than different. Especially after the purchase has already been made.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
You can get a crown xls1500 for $350 thats 300wx2 at 8ohms.
In my experience and opinion the pros are -- cost- 50 cents a watt is cheap and Power- you can run these things with huge loads and not hurt them
now the cons are -- aesthetics- they are pro amps and look it, small ugly chassis, bright lights, front facing knobs and buttons, ect..., Fans- Pro gear has fans, and you can hear them when they come on, obviously not when the music is drowning it out, but when tracks change or you have a vibratey rack, you may hear it... No trigger - some care some don't, I use the trigger on all my amps.... So that is is IMO, price and power vs looks, a trigger, and the fan....

I have went that route, nothing wrong with the sound, if you dont need a trigger, can live with the looks and the fan, then go for it, the sound wont dissapoint you...

I am a little unclear, did you have an issue with the sound of the xpa or just the fact you cant keep it running? I would honestly if I were you, try the emo when it comes back and if its still gives you trouble, its time to call and talk to Dan, get to the bottom of this because you bought the gear you deserve it to work correctly...

jinjuku

jinjuku

If you can do Guitar Center then your concerns are at least alleviated by the ability to be face to face. BTW I am a huge fan of Guitar Center.

For a friend that needed to do a Sub EQ on the cheap (if you are limited on funds, you are limited on funds). I go online to GC and find a Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro. It's listed as 'used'. I get it for $60, add a two year warranty for $19. Get the entire thing shipped for $92. And it's brand new.

Parts Express Tech Talk and ask there also. You will hear from actual speaker designers about the Crown.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You can get a crown xls1500 for $350 thats 300wx2 at 8ohms.
In my experience and opinion the pros are -- cost- 50 cents a watt is cheap and Power- you can run these things with huge loads and not hurt them
now the cons are -- aesthetics- they are pro amps and look it, small ugly chassis, bright lights, front facing knobs and buttons, ect..., Fans- Pro gear has fans
Just for clarification (based on mine and many peoples experience) with the Crown and Yamaha listed:

You can't hear the fans when they are on with these particular models. The fans also don't run all the time.

Aesthetics are up to the OP and I agree with you 100%.

Since these are Switcher designs I don't even worry about the 12v trigger. You needed that with A and AB class because even at idle the things use as much as a 60-90 watt light bulb (in some cases a few hundred watts, at idle!)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Just for clarification (based on mine and many peoples experience) with the Crown and Yamaha listed:

You can't hear the fans when they are on with these particular models. The fans also don't run all the time.

Aesthetics are up to the OP and I agree with you 100%.
I couldnt hear my fans originally, I started to think they never came on, but when I hooked up my polks which were 4 phm but not terribly hard to run, the fans would come on when I ran them hard, the only time I could hear them was when the track would change and go silent for a few seconds... Also one of my behringers used to vibrate when the fan ran and it was on a bookshelf made of metal, so that would make it much more noticeable... not a deal breaker for me, since ambiant noise is going to happen no matter what... the trigger and looks are what made me stop using them... I am going to use my crown for a sub project, its a strong strong unit..

jinjuku

jinjuku

I couldnt hear my fans originally, I started to think they never came on, but when I hooked up my polks which were 4 phm but not terribly hard to run, the fans would come on when I ran them hard, the only time I could hear them was when the track would change and go silent for a few seconds.
Interesting. I have had my Statements peeling the carpet up off the floor. The only way I knew the fan was moving was to place my hand behind the unit.

These are items the OP needs to put the amp through it's paces on.

jinjuku

jinjuku

If these PA amps are this good and at this price, why aren't more people using them. I can pick up the Yamaha 3500 for just over 500.
That's a really good price for the 3500. Yamaha does a very good job publishing their specs. It's rated 20Hz to 40Khz 0dB and -1.5dB. It is ruler flat past 20Khz.

It's SNR is 102dB and distortion #'s are a bit better than Crown. I don't know I would pass that up for $500.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If these PA amps are this good and at this price, why aren't more people using them.
What Fuzz says.

A lot of internet Hearsay. For example, if you owned B&W speakers and you went to the B&W owners' thread on AVS for advice, you might end up believing that pro amps are only good for "low fidelity loud crowds". These people believe in $5K wires and $10K amps and believe that pro amps are only good for subwoofers and low fidelity sound - that somehow these pro amps just cant play the midrange and treble accurately. There's no use arguing with those guys. They don't believe in measurements and they sure as heck don't believe in any kind of blinded testing. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis