Alternative for Emotiva XPA-2 Amp

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
Big Update........ Emotiva has stepped up and helped me out in a big way. They are taking care of my issues. I want to give a big thanks to their team and everyone here for letting me vent...
Emotiva went above and beyond my expectations... Service like this is hard to find.. Sometimes all it takes is being nice the whole time and finding the right person to speak to. Thanks Emo
Congrats! So, they are swapping it out for a new one?

Happy ending after being jerked around for a little bit... Wait, what are we taking about again?

T

TheHills44060

Junior Audioholic
Congrats ematthews! Was looking forward to see which amp you finally went with given all of the different suggestions but as long as you are happy...

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
They stepped up and are replacing it. That makes me happy...
I'll be interested to hear your impressions on whether your system is bright sounding, maybe the newest second generation of the XPA series is improved.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'll be interested to hear your impressions on whether your system is bright sounding, maybe the newest second generation of the XPA series is improved.
If he says the replacement EMO it is the best amp he has ever heard, would you buy Emotiva? :D

I would not buy EMO, but it's not because of sound quality. :D

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I bought Emo for the price/value... I am a poor man...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I bought Emo for the price/value... I am a poor man...
I think it's more about personal taste in aesthetic.

Some people think ATI amps, B&W 802D2 and Salk SoundScape12 speakers look ugly. :D

Some people think EMO amps look good.

Heck, some people think Crown XLS amps look good. :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I think it's more about personal taste in aesthetic.

Some people think ATI amps, B&W 802D2 and Salk SoundScape12 speakers look ugly. :D

Some people think EMO amps look good.

Heck, some people think Crown XLS amps look good. :D
Well, I thought that ATI amps were ugly, until I saw some pictures on the INSIDE. ;)

Now that I've seen the build quality inside, I am sold on ATI :cool:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I thought that ATI amps were ugly, until I saw some pictures on the INSIDE. ;)

Now that I've seen the build quality inside, I am sold on ATI :cool:
Neat and pretty on the inside, great on the prices. ;)

Excluding the ATI Signature model because I would rather get Mark Levinson or Lexicon at huge discounted prices, but the only 2 ATI models I don't own are the AT1200 and AT1800. :D

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
Possibly dumb question. Considering a NAD C 272. In the specs it says it delivers 150-watts of continuous power into 4 or 8-ohms and is also 2-ohm stable.

Very few specs mentoin 6 ohms. Is it that rare? My Wharfedale Opus 3 are 6 ohms. That's not a problem with this amp, is it?

I'm a bit annoyed at Emotiva. They discontinued the affordable XPA-200, and no longer offer the upgrade program that I understood was not intended to go away back when I bought my XPA-5. Their third generation XPAs this spring will probably be more expensive, which is why I'm looking at used NAD, Marantz and others.

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
Well I got a great deal on a C 272 for $260, and as an afterthought I bid on the C 162 pre/pro and won that too, for $232! Not bad considering I was considering paying that much total for a used Marantz!

L

LCSeminole

Audiophyte
I'm a bit annoyed at Emotiva. They discontinued the affordable XPA-200, and no longer offer the upgrade program that I understood was not intended to go away back when I bought my XPA-5. Their third generation XPAs this spring will probably be more expensive, which is why I'm looking at used NAD, Marantz and others.
Emotiva has never had an upgrade program that applied to their power amplifiers, only their processors.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Well I got a great deal on a C 272 for $260, and as an afterthought I bid on the C 162 pre/pro and won that too, for $232! Not bad considering I was considering paying that much total for a used Marantz!
That's a good quality setup if it wasn't abused. Of course not the latest and greatest, though low distortion specs at that price point.

I did notice the pre-amp has no pre-out for a sub. Do you have one and how would that be solved if you do?

Last edited:
J

jingusus

Audiophyte
Hi All,

This is my first post to Audioholics, so bear with me if I haven't got all the terms/jargon right or if I've missed a post where this has been discussed (though I did do a pretty thorough search). Also, apologies for hijacking this thread, but doesn't seem like I'm allowed to start a thread before I have a certain number of posts!

I'm having a bit of difficulty deciding between these two options for a 2.1 channel system that I might later also use for home theatre. I thought maybe the Audioholics forum could be a good source for recommendations!

As background, I live in Hong Kong where I very fortunately have a relatively large secondary room that I was planning to purpose for a home theatre system with an emphasis on 2 channel performance. Originally, I was planning to just build a budget home theatre using an extra Pioneer Elite Sc-55 that I have lying around, but unfortunately have been the victim of an awful Pioneer defect that involves a faulty board that breaks down after 2 years of use. Pioneer has strangely offered to replace the unit with THE SAME FAULTY board, which I think is patently ridiculous.

So, not wanting to deal with that, I did some research (dangerous!) and as I'm not in a rush, I thought maybe about building a stronger two channel system first and adding all the other speakers later. For reference, I have 2 Polk LSim 705 fronts and the LSim center and a couple Mission speakers lying around that I can use as surround.

Having done a bit of research, I've found that after the shipping cost for Emotiva gear, it ends up being USD 485 MORE than the Parasound unit through the distributor here. Additionally, because Parasound has a representative here in HK, they offer a 1 year warranty on the units. Emotiva has a more generous warranty offering 5 years, but would require that I ship units back and forth where I would bear the cost.

Given the above, I'm leaning towards the Parasound option for convenience, but the idea of a differential system with monoblocks is enticing, to say the least. Has anyone had any experience with the monoblocks vs the a21 stereo? Would the fully differential emotiva system sound better than the p5/a21 combo or the other way around?

Finally, I'm also open to other options. I've looked at the XPR-2 and XPA-2 in addition to the Benchmark ABH2, etc., but I think I'd prefer the A21 to these options, though I would get a better cost savings with the emotiva xpa2. As this is a secondary system, I'd prefer to spend less than more, but would be prepared to spend more for a better system.

Would appreciate any and all thoughts!

jinjuku

jinjuku

Given the demographic necessities you should really go with the Parasound. I think well engineered Amps and Pre-amps should be transparent and not color the sound.

I've had Emotiva in for evaluation, I've owned Parasound. As long as you have no tweeter hiss you should be good to go either way.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi All,

As background, I live in Hong Kong where I very fortunately have a relatively large secondary room that I was planning to purpose for a home theatre system with an emphasis on 2 channel performance. Originally, I was planning to just build a budget home theatre using an extra Pioneer Elite Sc-55 that I have lying around, but unfortunately have been the victim of an awful Pioneer defect that involves a faulty board that breaks down after 2 years of use. Pioneer has strangely offered to replace the unit with THE SAME FAULTY board, which I think is patently ridiculous.

Finally, I'm also open to other options. I've looked at the XPR-2 and XPA-2 in addition to the Benchmark ABH2, etc., but I think I'd prefer the A21 to these options, though I would get a better cost savings with the emotiva xpa2. As this is a secondary system, I'd prefer to spend less than more, but would be prepared to spend more for a better system.

Would appreciate any and all thoughts!
I have compared my A21 to my Bryston 4B SST. They sounded very similar as they should but the Bryston has much better build quality, much smaller and 10 lbs lighter. If you can get good price for Bryston in HK, think that's a better buy than the A21. If not, go for the A21 but just know if has a large foot print.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis