Advice on SVS or Arendal

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@shadyJ Which one would you choose between SB3000 vs 1723 1s? Here in Greece they are priced similarly. It would be useful to mention the differences between them and in which aspects is the one better than the other.

Thanks a lot in advance.
The 1723 1S has more deep bass headroom but the SB-3000 has more mid-bass headroom. I would go for the SB-3000 for music applications and the 1723 1S for movie applications. Both either sub would do fine for both applications.

N

nigio

Enthusiast
The 1723 1S has more deep bass headroom but the SB-3000 has more mid-bass headroom. I would go for the SB-3000 for music applications and the 1723 1S for movie applications. Both either sub would do fine for both applications.
Thanks for answering. I saw that 1723 1s has better group delay measurements. Is that audible?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks for answering. I saw that 1723 1s has better group delay measurements. Is that audible?
Not likely, at least in-room.
There has been a pretty significant paper that came out since I write that article that does suggest that group delay and phase distortion in lower frequencies may be more audible than was previously thought, but this is occurring in highly controlled laboratory conditions. It still seems unlikely to be significant in-room, but the definitive research still has yet to be done.

N

nigio

Enthusiast
Not likely, at least in-room.

There has been a pretty significant paper that came out since I write that article that does suggest that group delay and phase distortion in lower frequencies may be more audible than was previously thought, but this is occurring in highly controlled laboratory conditions. It still seems unlikely to be significant in-room, but the definitive research still has yet to be done.
Thanks man. Maybe you are the only person in the world that has reviewed almost everything that Arendal and SVS has to offer. This is my last question. Did you feel that one of their subs was a better bang for the buck across all the series? And if you had to describe SVS sound signature vs Arendal which words would you choose?
Thanks a lot again. This was my last question, promise :p

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks man. Maybe you are the only person in the world that has reviewed almost everything that Arendal and SVS has to offer. This is my last question. Did you feel that one of their subs was a better bang for the buck across all the series? And if you had to describe SVS sound signature vs Arendal which words would you choose?
Thanks a lot again. This was my last question, promise :p
For SVS, I think that their best bang for the buck sub is the PB-3000. Arendal subs scale pretty evenly with pricing, so I don't thank any of them is an outstanding value above the others. Regarding sound signature, there may be some slight differences, but you would need to be doing a quick-switching A/B comparison to know. I never had them at the same time, so I wasn't able to do that. As far as I am concerned, much like amplifiers, well-engineered subs should sound mostly the same. If a sub sounds different or has a unique sound signature, it is probably doing something wrong.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis