Adding a sub to a 2ch system

JLGF1

JLGF1

Enthusiast
It has to do with the design of the bass driver rather then whether it is two or three way. For instance small drivers based on the earlier Dynaudio designs from Morel and Skaaning Audio Technology can handle enormous amounts of power even in the low bass, without distress.
In my specific case, the 5.25 inch woofer is rated at 200W continuous, 350W peak. I don't think power handling is a problem. The issue is that a smallish (5-6 inch) woofer working that hard on the lower bass region will be suffering (enormously?) on the midrange clarity due to the double-duty. That stands to reason and this view is also held by the same highly experienced speaker designer. ie off-loading the bass in a 2-way design is almost always advantageous. I'm certainly not at his level of expertise, but it seems to make common sense. If the woofer is handling big excursions it can't, at the same time, be producing midrange as accurate as it otherwise could be. Hence, my comment about 2-way, versus 3-way. ie each driver doing the best at it's optimum FR.

JLGF1

JLGF1

Enthusiast
SVS Micro 3000 sub. It is dual 8", not 10" and it does not appear to offer a high pass filter.
Yes, checking the manual it looks like the line-level outputs could be for daisy-chaining only so it might not include a HPF. The owners manual is a little ambiguous on whether adjusting the LPF (via the DSP app) might also adjust a variable HPF accordingly.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Since the 3000-micro has line-level output jacks I would have assumed that it has a fixed HPF like the SB2000. But, the specs don't seem to explicitly state that. A quick call or email would clear that up either way. I guess the outputs could be used for passing unfiltered signal to other subs? ie daisy-chaining. I can't envision they would neglect the need for HPF on a sub this small, but could be I guess.

View attachment 61580
No mention in the manual, but they do talk about using the line outs to connect another sub.

JLGF1

JLGF1

Enthusiast
The manual is a bit ambiguous on whether there could be variable HPF adjusted by the app? (inverse of the LPF)

Most Stereo Receivers and Pre-Amplifiers do not have bass management. Instead you will use the Left and Right full-range outputs and make adjustments through the DSP amplifier on the subwoofer. Be sure to connect both Left and Right outputs to the Left and Right inputs on the subwoofer. Set the Low Pass Filter to “On” and adjust the Crossover Frequency and Slope to achieve a smooth blend and transition with the main speakers. Once blended, adjust the Subwoofer volume to match the volume level of your main speakers

SVS 3000-micro HPF.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The manual is a bit ambiguous on whether there could be variable HPF adjusted by the app? (inverse of the LPF)

Most Stereo Receivers and Pre-Amplifiers do not have bass management. Instead you will use the Left and Right full-range outputs and make adjustments through the DSP amplifier on the subwoofer. Be sure to connect both Left and Right outputs to the Left and Right inputs on the subwoofer. Set the Low Pass Filter to “On” and adjust the Crossover Frequency and Slope to achieve a smooth blend and transition with the main speakers. Once blended, adjust the Subwoofer volume to match the volume level of your main speakers

View attachment 61586
Just no mention of any hpf. I don't think it has one, they do mention it in manuals for their amps with that feature.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
I think we might agree here (?) that the disadvantage of bad sub integration could be orders of magnitude more adverse (ie very audible) impact to SQ compared to any (mostly inaudible) distortion specs. Like a flea on an elephant, imo. I just re-tuned my office with a new sub and I can guarantee that the lack of sub EQ on the overall SQ would have completely dwarfed the distortion anywhere else in the chain. Not even close; it would have sounded horrible without that tuning in the sub region, as is very common.

Yes, I missed your miniDSP (S)HD post which at $1300 is way more than I expected (and $400 more than the SVS 3000-micro SW the OP might consider). So, I wasn't considering those solutions that cost more than the SW itself which doesn't make any sense to me, but to each his own. And though the room has been referred to as "small" I'm beginning to get the idea that it might be a closet. :D
Standards on house and room sizes are different in US and UK))) When I happen to fly from US back to UK I can see from the plane how smaller the houses are. So, yes, it is small

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Just no mention of any hpf. I don't think it has one, they do mention it in manuals for their amps with that feature.
I think you are right, in my experience, those HPF for feeding the mains used to be very popular in the older SVS subs but on the more recent models, they seem to offer that to their lower end models such as the SB1000 and PB1000. It seems to me they are mostly there for those who use satellite speakers, and they are usually fixed to 80 Hz HP. In those units, I would expect they use the lower end OPA for the filter circuit, that's adequate for the lower range satellite systems anyway.

JLGF1

JLGF1

Enthusiast
According to SVS support, the line-outs on the 3000-micro are pass-thru only (ie no HPF).

JLGF1

JLGF1

Enthusiast
According to their support, RSL subs include HPF for optimum integration.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis