fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well you see........I kind of like how that RPA-1 looks.....:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
It really is amazingly nice now that (a) I have the new Sony blu-ray player that streams, and (b) I've removed the amps. For years, I've listened to the drone of the PS3 fan and the hum of the amps. No more. Ahhhhh. :) So nice.

One of these days, I might even get around to checking out the fans in my TV. That thing has been kind of loud since I bought it back in 2009. I wonder if I did something when I was unpacking it, as I did lay it down on its back (where the fans are).

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
No thanks :). That has barely more power than my receiver.

your tv has fans? Does mine? I have the 46G15. I don't think I've heard any fans. I will say that the day I bought my Samsung blu-ray player and stopped using my Xbox 360 for DVDs I felt like I had been watching movies with a jet engine on and had been ignorant of it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Out of curiosity, did you ever actually measure how much noise the POS-1 actually made?
No. I doubt that it would have been measurable with any equipment that I own. With all seven channels hooked up internally (so, all seven transformers on the main modules were energized...even in standby mode), it was noticeable to me from across the room. It was less noisy, but still audible to me, with five hooked up. With three cherry-picked (the quietest of them all) modules hooked up, it wasn't too bad.

Of course, it being audible will depend on the person. My buddy couldn't hear it at all, but he also listens to stuff a lot louder than I do and had stopped by later in the day to audition a sub. I can't say if he'd have noticed it had it been around his house. I typically listen to my system at -48 dB, so I like a quieter background.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
-48 on the receiver? Do you happen to know what your noise floor is in the living room?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
-48 on the receiver? Do you happen to know what your noise floor is in the living room?
Hi, Fuzz. I don't. A little while ago, I measured the level with my TV on at 30-35dB. It was an app on my phone, so I don't know how accurate that is. However, it seemed in line with the reading on my receiver, and it would jump quite a bit whenever I'd speak.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That sounds about right for -48. "Completely silent" for me is around 40db and can be easily 60 with the A/C on (C weighted). Combine that with a touch of hearing sensitivity loss and you have me yelling when everyone else is whispering.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The measured noise floor in my room is around the 40-50dB mark depending on whether the HVAC is running. My main concern is that my cabinet is semi-open currently (perforated screen on the front panels), so I'm hearing more equipment noise now than I used to (i.e. my blu ray player is occasionally irritating at lower volumes). Of course, if it's less of a problem with 5 transformers (I'm only running 5 channels) and practically non-existent for 3 channels (a poor mans XPA-3?) it's still interesting. OTOH, I'm cheap and I'm not exactly straining my system as it is, so I need an upgrade like I need another hole in the head. :D

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Every time I read through this thread it reminds me that I haven't done the fan swap for my EP4000 yet. I don't seem to notice it when it's on, but get a feeling of relief when I turn it off.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I have a Denon AVR-E400 and Onkyo TX-NR626 coming my way. Reviews in about a month. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I was initially a lot more excited about the Denon than the Onkyo, mostly because of my impression of Onkyo quality over the past few years...and my craving for a Denon. Looking at the connectivity and features, though, the Onkyo is really looking like it's going to be the winner.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Should be interesting. I predict that you will like the Onkyo more...as long as nothing breaks...not that it will but that's the reputation. I'd love to see actual failure rates for all the manufactures.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, Doug. I'm not expecting either one to best my current Pioneer, but I am looking forward to giving Audyssey a try. :) I wish that I had a three-source, seven-channel speaker selector so that I could toggle between them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis