ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
The seller claims that the amp was in perfect working condition when he shipped it. Awesome.

I have two final things to do to troubleshoot it, then I'll be certain:
(1) Disconnect all of the new speaker cables and only have my center channel hooked up. I've used that wire and that speakers for 14 years, and I know that there are no shorts anywhere.
(2) Use a different power outlet. Both NHT and the seller suggested this. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it won't make any difference, but I'll try it.

The seller also said that my Pioneer might be the problem, but I get a louder, worse whine the speakers when the only thing connected is the amp to the outlet, and the speaker to the amp.
Is he going to take it back? How did you pay credit card check cash?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Is he going to take it back? How did you pay credit card check cash?
I used a credit card via PayPal. His response didn't address the return at all. He provided some troubleshooting advice, some of which included connecting it to my NHT Controller (but I don't have one). The guy wasn't a jerk in his response - I'll take it as he's trying to help me figure out what's wrong. I admit that I'm not 100% sure that it's not related to one of the new cables that I made, but I can't think of why it would be. So, I'll disconnect all of them and check it out.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
How could one of them cables have a short? You used bananas so there is no way a stray wire is going across the connects or anything like that...

I would address return in the next email to him, and its good to know you did pay with a credit card and paypal {not a gift rite?} so at least you can get your money back even if h doesnt cooperate...

I had something similar happen with a $1900 rifle scope, the reticle was missing a small portion of itself... So he said "it was perfect when I sent it" and I said "well Im returning it the same way you sent it so you should have no problem reselling it to someone else that has the same perception of PERFECT as you do, good luck" he said not to send it back because he wouldn't except it, and I should try to tape it together!!!!

So I was almost ready to say screw it and send it for repair {which costs like $500 and would have put me over what a new one costs} when someone from the snipers-hide pm'ed me a link to this guy asking on another forum how to fix a broken reticle!!!! I was sooo mad now, so sent him a link to his post with a picture of the scope {same picture he sent me to sell it}. He didnt respond for 3 days and I already contacted my credit card company, and they gave me my money back instantly, and said as long as I sent them the tracking number from when I return it the refund would stay...

Well when he contacted me back, he told me to stop emailing him and gf my self, blah blah blah, he wasn't aware I already got refunded, so that was nothing my chop saw couldn't fix, I sent him his scope back in 2 separate boxes.... {only 1 had tracking though} and I threw in a roll of scotch tape ...

Good luck Adam, if you need me to cut it in half for you, I will... jk, I know you said he is being nice, just a worse case scenario for you..:D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yup. The thing with using credit cards is the protection that it gives you. Also, on marketplace sites, their entire model depends upon safe transactions for the buyer, so they will almost always side with the buyer if there is a legitimate dispute.

If he had good feedback and it was packed very well, then my gut still tells me that he will probably make it right. But if not, then exercise your various buyer protection devices and make it right. You did nothing wrong, you purchased an amp based on its advertised info, and if it doesn't live up to that info then you aren't obligated to keep it.

However, there is a chance that it was damaged in shipping. If it truly was perfect when he shipped it, and now it's not, then when you ship it back he will have to take it up with the shipper insurance. Just give it a fair shake to be sure that it isn't something you are doing or something with your setup that is causing the problem.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, guys! I appreciate all of the info and advice on how to deal with getting my money back if he doesn't cooperate. I'm not stressed over this thing, and I am going to try and see if it's something that I'm doing, but my gut tells me that it's defective. I'll try troubleshooting tonight, and if that doesn't work out, I'll follow up with the seller and tell him that I want to return it.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have about had it with this amp. Give me the sellers phone number...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I have about had it with this amp. Give me the sellers phone number...
I don't have his number, but I'll give you his e-mail if I don't work it out myself. Seriously. :)

The amp is back in the box and the IPS-1 is hooked back up. I knew from the beginning that there was something wrong, but I gave it a fair chance.

Three different power cords, three different power outlets, three different speaker wires, three different speakers, and different amp channels - in combinations. With no other connections besides a power cord and one speaker, the amp still generated a pop upon turn on/off and a loud buzz in the speaker. The sounds were consistent based upon amp channel - not speaker. Therefore, it's obvious that the amp is defective.

I will be requesting a refund and return. If the seller refuses, then I will take your advice and pursue my options.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I don't have his number, but I'll give you his e-mail if I don't work it out myself. Seriously. :)

The amp is back in the box and the IPS-1 is hooked back up. I knew from the beginning that there was something wrong, but I gave it a fair chance.

Three different power cords, three different power outlets, three different speaker wires, three different speakers, and different amp channels - in combinations. With no other connections besides a power cord and one speaker, the amp still generated a pop upon turn on/off and a loud buzz in the speaker. The sounds were consistent based upon amp channel - not speaker. Therefore, it's obvious that the amp is defective.

I will be requesting a refund and return. If the seller refuses, then I will take your advice and pursue my options.
I had a feeling this is how this was going to end up, good luck with dealing with the seller... What are you looking for in an amp, budget channels and power?

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned

Bloody hell I had a bad felling about this from the start hope it goes better for you Adam!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I had a feeling this is how this was going to end up, good luck with dealing with the seller... What are you looking for in an amp, budget channels and power?
Thanks. I just sent him a message about returning it.

As for an amp, I know that I don't need one - but I'd like to try out the Class D amps. Having NHT speakers, I liked the Power 5. I'd like 200+ W/channel. I'd prefer a 7-channel amp (to replace both of my amps), but 5-channel would do. As for budget, I want value. I paid $1050 for the Power 5, which was cheaper than $2000 for a new Wyred4Sound amp...and I liked the looks of the NHT better. $2k is a bit more than I'd like to spend on the W4S amps (based on looks), but I wouldn't mind spending $2k on an amp that I really liked.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
What about this one?

Wyred 4 Sound Mini MC-5 220 watts x 5ch amp-New | Multi ch | Atascadero, California 93422 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community

They even have their own website with the same price on it

Underwood HiFi: Wyred 4 Sound

There's also one of these, but it's underpowered for what you said you wanted.

Rotel RMB-1565 Brand New in Box | Multi ch | Murrells Inlet, South Carolina 29576 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community

Both are used so you might not want to go there, but that first W4S amp, the seller has a ton of positive feedback. Just a thought.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for looking! That's the $2k W4S model that I referenced above. W4S has the same price on their website for direct order. Saving $1000 and getting a better looking (to me) amp was an easy call...until the amp was defective.

As for the Rotel - looks nice, but I'm not sure that it would add much above that of my receiver.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for looking! That's the $2k W4S model that I referenced above. W4S has the same price on their website for direct order. Saving $1000 and getting a better looking (to me) amp was an easy call...until the amp was defective.

As for the Rotel - looks nice, but I'm not sure that it would add much above that of my receiver.
I keep forgetting the pio elites are spec'd ACD, so you are absolutely right the rotel wouldn't be much of an upgrade except in peaks, but that's pure speculation.

Quit this class D insanity and just go pure class A :p :D

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja

you can score used sunfires on ebay for around $600...

Is there a certain reason you want class D? I find A/B works great for home theater.... How about 4 or 5 carver ma202's You can get 4 of them for around $500 {run 1 ea for front 3 and split one for surrounds}. They put out about 200 watts per channel...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm looking at Class D for a change of pace. I like the lower weight and higher efficiency. I don't need an amp...I'm just looking around for one that I want. :)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I'm looking at Class D for a change of pace. I like the lower weight and higher efficiency. I don't need an amp...I'm just looking around for one that I want. :)
I see, your electric bill is high and you are sick of lugging that heavy class a/b upstairs everynight, lol... :p

To me class D is for high level stereo setups or subwoofers... I just cant bring my self past that... I heard the crown d class amps and they sound awesome, but not better than any budget a/b Ive heard, although they pack more power for less money per watt, with a residential theater I dont see much need for over 150-200w per ch....

How about 3 XLS1000'? that would be under $1000 class D and them crowns are one of the best sounding class D's I ever heard...

Does it look like you will be able to return without issue?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
How about 3 XLS1000'? that would be under $1000 class D and them crowns are one of the best sounding class D's I ever heard...
If I could get past the looks, I'd be all over it. I was intrigued earlier in the year by those, but I don't like how they look.

Does it look like you will be able to return without issue?
Don't know, yet. I just sent the guy a message last night and am waiting for a response. I let him know what I did to troubleshoot it and that I'm confident it's defective. You guys have me feeling really good that I'll be covered even if he says he won't accept a return. I don't think that I've ever, in almost 20 years of having a card, disputed a charge on my Discover Card - so, I think that they'll back me.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
If I could get past the looks, I'd be all over it. I was intrigued earlier in the year by those, but I don't like how they look.

Don't know, yet. I just sent the guy a message last night and am waiting for a response. I let him know what I did to troubleshoot it and that I'm confident it's defective. You guys have me feeling really good that I'll be covered even if he says he won't accept a return. I don't think that I've ever, in almost 20 years of having a card, disputed a charge on my Discover Card - so, I think that they'll back me.
Discover is easy to deal with, they will make you return it and give them the tracking number but after he takes it or denies it either way, you will be all set {actually they will refund you as soon as you call it in}... I have had a Discover card since I turned 17, that was my first card, Im up to 5% cash back rewards on all purchases that I slide my card with {internet and typed in is 3.5%}, I use it for my business and avg about $22K per month in charges, and of course pay it off in 30 days so no interest charges...

As far as the looks I don't think they are that bad, tint the ble screen saw off the rack ears, and call it good..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis