A Salk fan-boy takes action

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
The thought has crossed my mind. I actually have a doctor's appointment earlier on Monday. It just might take so long that it wouldn't be worth going back to work that day :cool:.

There are two boxes, each weighs 89 lbs :eek:! I couldn't let my wife sign for those alone :rolleyes:.

This morning, Saturday, FedEx says the speakers have arrived at their local DC area warehouse in Beltsville, Md. They're on trucks for delivery the next business day, Monday!
That's a little strange. I never takes more than two days to get stuff from Jim to me, so they really should have been delivered today.
The thought has crossed my mind. I actually have a doctor's appointment earlier on Monday. It just might take so long that it wouldn't be worth going back to work that day :cool:.

There are two boxes, each weighs 89 lbs :eek:! I couldn't let my wife sign for those alone :rolleyes:.

This morning, Saturday, FedEx says the speakers have arrived at their local DC area warehouse in Beltsville, Md. They're on trucks for delivery the next business day, Monday!
Well, if you hadn't bought such huge and expensive speakers, they would have been delivered today. Fed Ex Home Delivery is two days from Jim, with Saturday deliveries. But huge expensive stuff has to go Fed Ex Ground, and they don't deliver on Saturdays. Now aren't you sorry you didn't buy a pair of Philharmonic El Cheapo monitors? In beautiful plastic black oak?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
That's a little strange. I never takes more than two days to get stuff from Jim to me, so they really should have been delivered today.

Well, if you hadn't bought such huge and expensive speakers, they would have been delivered today. Fed Ex Home Delivery is two days from Jim, with Saturday deliveries. But huge expensive stuff has to go Fed Ex Ground, and they don't deliver on Saturdays. Now aren't you sorry you didn't buy a pair of Philharmonic El Cheapo monitors? In beautiful plastic black oak?
The boxes were picked up Thursday afternoon from Jim. Does that constitute two days? The weekend got in the way :(. As long as I get both boxes on the same day, I'll be happy. Jim had them ready to go on Tuesday, but he to wait for Madisound (?) to deliver the two replacement 8 ohm W16 woofers.

It would be a lot more fun to get them today, but they're sitting on a FedEx truck in Beltsville. You can't get around shipping expenses. FedEx Ground cost more than the premium veneer.

This will be a good reason to leave work early on Monday, or better yet, not go in at all.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Now aren't you sorry you didn't buy a pair of Philharmonic El Cheapo monitors? In beautiful plastic black oak?
I still regard the Veracity ST a bargain compared to the Joseph Audio Perspective. Several years ago when I last saw them at the DC Audio Show, they were about $12,000 a pair. Same W16 woofers plus the Seas Millenium T25 dome tweet (bass fiddle not included).

D

desertrider

Audioholic Intern

Thats awesome I bet youre excited :)

Strange though...shouldnt there be 3 boxes? One for each speaker and one box with the plinths, covers, etc?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Strange though...shouldnt there be 3 boxes? One for each speaker and one box with the plinths, covers, etc?
Don't give me more to worry about :eek:. The FedEx tracker said 2 boxes were originally picked up, 89 lbs. each.

Years ago when I got my STs, they came in 3 boxes, one for each speaker cabinet, and the 3rd smaller box for plinths and grills. But Jim may pack things differently now.

D

desertrider

Audioholic Intern
Don't give me more to worry about :eek:. The FedEx tracker said 2 boxes were originally picked up, 89 lbs. each.

Years ago when I got my STs, they came in 3 boxes, one for each speaker cabinet, and the 3rd smaller box for plinths and grills. But Jim may pack things differently now.
Probably. Although a quick phone call to MI would answer it hehe

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
Great this is all excitening! It's going to be a lllloooonnnnggg 48 hours though. Take some sleeping pills and just sleep through it!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Great this is all excitening! It's going to be a lllloooonnnnggg 48 hours though. Take some sleeping pills and just sleep through it!
I had already decided to forget it till late Monday. It's very quiet here at AH in early August – I had thought about posting some pictures of crickets & tumbleweed – but didn't bother because no one would see it. And then you posted :p.

So until FedEx pays a visit…

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The new speaker arrived today. I unpacked them, looked, admired, and listen briefly:
Aaron Copland, Fanfare for the Common Man
Grateful Dead Three From the Vault (a few selections)

Initial comments: Well Alright :D :D :D!!!

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Alrite alrite alrite!!! Congrats! We'll miss you for the next week!
I wish I was home listening right now, but I'm at work, thinking about those speakers.

More observations & thoughts:
  • The Veracity ST (VST) looks smaller than the SongTowers (ST), however their cabinet widths & depths are identical. The plinths are also identical. The only difference is the VST is 2½" shorter than the ST, including the plinth and floor spikes.
  • The cherry veneer of the VST is highly figured and nice to look at. It is coated only with clear satin lacquer (no stain or dye) & is paler in tone than than the similarly finished 9-year-old cherry STs. With time, the VSTs will develop a redder tone and greater contrast within the figuring. It is interesting to see the color of both old & new side-by-side.
  • Despite the shorter cabinet, the VST is noticeably heavier than the ST.
  • The VST also has greater bass impact. This is especially noticeable with well recorded percussion. I was surprised to hear that in Paul Simon's Graceland.
  • The sound of the RAAL ribbon tweeter is smooth and not as noticeable as other tweeters I've known. Nothing stands out announcing "hear that tweeter". This will require more careful comparisons between VST and ST. So far, I've been only listening to the new VST and relying on my memory of the ST.
  • More to come… :D

It's going to be a long day.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The VST also has greater bass impact. This is especially noticeable with well recorded percussion. I was surprised to hear that in Paul Simon's Graceland.
Interesting that you should mention the Graceland album. I used Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes for years as a bass test song. I don't remember playing that album in the new house... I'll have to do that soon.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Interesting that you should mention the Graceland album. I used Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes for years as a bass test song. I don't remember playing that album in the new house... I'll have to do that soon.
I think that song (and others with Ladysmith Black Mambazo singing) is a good test of how a speaker cabinet's bass tuning allows all those male voices to come through clearly if it's well damped, or get muddied or lost by poorly damped bass.

Last edited:
Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I'm thinking of a list of things to bring over. I'm working Saturday. Maybe Sunday? Don't forget A la Carte Bass and Percussion. Great male vocals and that Sousaphone!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm thinking of a list of things to bring over. I'm working Saturday. Maybe Sunday? Don't forget A la Carte Bass and Percussion. Great male vocals and that Sousaphone!
Sunday is fine, although Bonnie will out for brunch with her friends. We can play stuff louder :D.

I've been audio binging this evening. In the male vocal group dept:
Graceland (as already mentioned)
The Persuasions
Ry Cooder - The Slide Zone

I was surprised at how much detail remains in those recordings that hadn't been revealed by the STs. I hadn't expected that much remained.

Other excellent stuff:
Son of Schmilsson
Memphis Underground (the ultimate boogie test for any speakers, had to play it twice)
Booker T & the MGs (older 60's recordings still sound excellent)
Steve Cropper – Dedicated

I had to stop myself there. Tonight was boogie & beat, I'll look into more classical next – something with massed strings, classical chorale (obviously Beethoven's 9th), etc.

I've heard cymbals, cowbells, flutes, vibraphone, but no chimes so far. The ribbon tweeter is clearly doing something very good. I've yet to plug in the STs yet.

So far – Salk Veracity ST speakers sound better than I had expected, and this is only day 2 :D.

Last edited:
jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
Because of this thread I've been spending far too much time on Jim's website... ;)

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Today I spent a good 4 or more hours listening :D. From Johann Sebastian Bach to James Brown, and a lot in between. (The massed vocals test, Beethoven's 9th, awaits another day.)

The Salk Veracity ST speakers are my new favorites*. I still haven't done the rigorous A/B comparison between the old SongTowers and the new VSTs. Maybe next weekend. But I feel confident enough to announce this anyway, even if premature.

* Edit: By favorite, I mean among speakers I've owned. My all-time personal favorites are a tie between the Philharmonic 3 and the Salk SoundScape 8.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis