A new Salk 3-way speaker

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
He's probably preparing and getting ready to host friends and family. Gotta get those tractors running as well.
I really enjoyed traveling up there. His place is pretty much a dream home and it's a beautiful area. The drive was really scenic too. No way I could survive a winter there though. It was already kind of chilly in early August.

... not to mention the Loon Honeymoon Launch.
Yeah he really loves the loons

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Epytptians were not likely to use Heiroglyphs for a manual. Using it for a manual would be like writing a manual entirely in an elegant cursive font.
Alas, you refer to the early Egyptians. History repeats itself, and as in our own society, the early Egyptians were educated in both reading and writing cursive... and they used it profusely.

However, their "Millennials" became much more enamored with emoticons, and came to use them almost exclusively. (These were the Millennials of 3000 BC.) That is why the young pharaohs had their memorials, and instructions for them through the afterlife, written in these emoticons called hieroglyphics. And it is completely reasonable to assume they had their various manuals, and set-up guides, written the same way... with pictures... as we do today. Q.E.D.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Stereophile, in a synopsis from Axpona, included a very nice mention of these new Song 3 speakers:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/axponas-solid-start#oWtjMzWasSZXxcMw.97

"The world premiere Salk Song 3 (tentative name) 3-way speaker system ($2895/pair), with a claimed sensitivity of 89 dB, had maybe two hours of break-in on it, but it still sounded amazingly impressive for the price. Paired with the world premiere of the Wells Audio Majestic integrated amplifier ($3499), world premiere of the Salk StreamPlayer Generation II Mini ($1195), a Lampizator Amber PCM/DSD DAC ($2200), and an assortment of Danacables ($3780), this $12,374 package ($9899 at AXPONA) was my Best Buy system for Day 1 of the show. The sound was extremely clear, smooth, and lovely. Not only was it closer to neutral than many systems I encountered on day 1, but it was also amazingly communicative."

Even though Dennis Murphy can be modest, I believe he is proud his newest design got noticed and prominently mentioned at such a large audio show.

I am trying hard to avoid commenting about how the speakers are less expensive than the integrated amp or the various cables :cool:.

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Stereophile, in a synopsis from Axpona, included a very nice mention of these new Song 3 speakers:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/axponas-solid-start#oWtjMzWasSZXxcMw.97

"The world premiere Salk Song 3 (tentative name) 3-way speaker system ($2895/pair), with a claimed sensitivity of 89 dB, had maybe two hours of break-in on it, but it still sounded amazingly impressive for the price. Paired with the world premiere of the Wells Audio Majestic integrated amplifier ($3499), world premiere of the Salk StreamPlayer Generation II Mini ($1195), a Lampizator Amber PCM/DSD DAC ($2200), and an assortment of Danacables ($3780), this $12,374 package ($9899 at AXPONA) was my Best Buy system for Day 1 of the show. The sound was extremely clear, smooth, and lovely. Not only was it closer to neutral than many systems I encountered on day 1, but it was also amazingly communicative."

Even though Dennis Murphy can be modest, I believe he is proud his newest design got noticed and prominently mentioned at such a large audio show.

I am trying hard to avoid commenting about how the speakers are less expensive than the integrated amp or the various cables :cool:.
Now Swerd. Surely you don't doubt that the amazing communication Stereophile heard wouldn't have been possible without $3,780 cables.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Now Swerd. Surely you don't doubt that the amazing communication Stereophile heard wouldn't have been possible without $3,780 cables.
I'm more concerned about what Stereophile doubts (or doesn't doubt) than I am about my own doubts.

Congrats on the successful debut :)!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm more concerned about what Stereophile doubts (or doesn't doubt) than I am about my own doubts.
I needed the UN Translator Persona from my bag of mixed personalities to understand that.

Amazingly communicative indeed ...

At a DIY meet we shared a laugh about a reviewer calling a speaker 'well paced'. Their job can't be easy.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Their job can't be easy.
They've got it easy next to the guys that have to write press releases for some of this stuff. What the heck do you write about a new doodad that adds practically nothing over its predecessor, without more or less copy/pasting from last years release? Our new DAC-1902 marks a huge breakthrough over our DAC-1901 because we raised the model number by 1!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
They've got it easy next to the guys that have to write press releases for some of this stuff. What the heck do you write about a new doodad that adds practically nothing over its predecessor…
New and Improved!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Our new DAC-1902 marks a huge breakthrough over our DAC-1901 because we raised the model number by 1!
There does seem to be a ton of Denon rec'r model numbers. I stopped caring once I got to the 4100. After that it's like alphabet soup to me.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
There does seem to be a ton of Denon rec'r model numbers. I stopped caring once I got to the 4100. After that it's like alphabet soup to me.
A dazzling array of model numbers is a marketer's variation of "mine goes to 11".

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I really do want to focus on those speakers. When the Stereophile guy reported on them, I interpreted his words as positive comments on the speakers.
Those other items distinguished themselves by failing to stomp on the Salk 3's excellent sound.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
A full blown Stereophile review would be cool. You have to hand it to them for measurements. Dennis and Jim would probably love that as well.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
A full blown Stereophile review would be cool. You have to hand it to them for measurements. Dennis and Jim would probably love that as well.
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrright. All we would have to do is run about $15,000 worth of Stereophile advertising. Taking donations now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis