A new Salk 3-way speaker

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I've only tried the biggest one. I'm not sure how the SB people do it, but the 7.5" has excellent bass extension in a smallish cabinet, while maintaining high sensitivity. The slip side is that the response further up is dreadful--this is not a candidate for a large 2-way. But crossed fairly low in a 3-way, it's superb. The smaller Satori woofers are probably very high quality, but they have a glitch in the response around 1300 Hz that looks problematic.
I'll have to measure the Testarossa's and send them to you to see if that glitch is still there or not. I don't think it is, but what do I know.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Is the user's manual in cuneiform?
You're confusing Egyptian hieroglyphics with Sumerian (Babylonian, Assyrian, Persian, etc.) cuneiform. Egyptians wrote heiroglyphs on papyrus scrolls and the Sumerians wrote cuneiform on clay tablets. Kind of like Sony betamax vs. VHS.

It's clear that the ancient Egyptians invented hifi long before RCA and Western Electric. See the Klipschorn-like speaker and the rather awkward looking remote control.

Here's another

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I've only tried the biggest one. I'm not sure how the SB people do it, but the 7.5" has excellent bass extension in a smallish cabinet, while maintaining high sensitivity. The slip side is that the response further up is dreadful--this is not a candidate for a large 2-way. But crossed fairly low in a 3-way, it's superb. The smaller Satori woofers are probably very high quality, but they have a glitch in the response around 1300 Hz that looks problematic.
I'll have to measure the Testarossa's and send them to you to see if that glitch is still there or not. I don't think it is, but what do I know.
SB Acoustics is definitely on my short list for my next 3-way. But the cost per driver means I'm probably looking at doing so after I get a house.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
SB Acoustics is definitely on my short list for my next 3-way. But the cost per driver means I'm probably looking at doing so after I get a house.
My Alexis branded Philharmonitors use an SB driver IIRC.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
So how many of those can you get for an additional $47,000?
Instigator :p

Here's how I look at it. Consider a hypothetical SongTower Ultra. Pop the standard ST driver compliment into a small sealed sub-enclosure. For the low end, use the same configuration as the Exotica towers, i.e. a pair of Rythmik 8" woofers per side and 300W per driver. The hardware for a pair of speakers will run you a bit shy of $1200 from Rythmik, so obviously the costs go up a bit vs the standard ST. Those woofers can live happily in the same 1.5CF that the Satori driver needs, so enclosure size doesn't really balloon too much. Vs the regular ST, construction complexity goes down as you're talking about a fairly simple sealed box versus a TL.

Could this be done under 3 grand? Probably not, though it could still significantly undercut something like the Veracity HT2-TL, and a single 8" woofer variant might be able to squeeze in at the 3G mark. OTOH, as I see it, such a speaker would offer much better overall performance vs this model. You'd have a pair of mid/woofers handling the midband vs a single 4" driver, which directly translates to less compression, less distortion, and more output capability. Down low, no contest. 4x8" subwoofer drivers backed by 1.2kW of amplification beats the heck out of a couple 7.5" mid/woofers in ported boxes powered by whatever the owner brings to the table.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Instigator :p

Here's how I look at it…
Someone has to make it clear that what you propose violates the laws of Physics, would cost impossible amounts of money, and requires nuclear powered amplification.

Where is TLS Guy when you really need him?

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
How do you like the low end from them?
It is pretty good. Satisfying for most music in 2.0, but I don't think anyone would be surprised that you still want a sub for HipHop and some other bass-heavy music.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Someone has to make it clear that what you propose violates the laws of Physics, would cost impossible amounts of money, and requires nuclear powered amplification.
I don't know that it's all that bold. From a material perspective, it's roughly equivalent to buying a pair of SongSurround 2's ($1,500/pr) and a pair of Rythmik F8's ($1,528/pr in cheapo finish). Having a powered bass section vs fully passive also makes the XO work a bit easier on that side of things.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You're confusing Egyptian hieroglyphics with Sumerian (Babylonian, Assyrian, Persian, etc.) cuneiform. Egyptians wrote heiroglyphs on papyrus scrolls and the Sumerians wrote cuneiform on clay tablets. Kind of like Sony betamax vs. VHS.

It's clear that the ancient Egyptians invented hifi long before RCA and Western Electric. See the Klipschorn-like speaker and the rather awkward looking remote control.

Here's another
Those plants which look like a gramophone actually are a bundle of Lotus flowers. Egyptians fashioned many things after Papyrus and also Lotus flowers; Lotus iconography is much more common and representative of southern Egypt, way down the Nile. Also, Epytptians were not likely to use Heiroglyphs for a manual. They would have been far more likely to use demotic or Hieratic script. Hieroglyphs were a written system reserved for very formal and special applications, like writing on a temple wall and so on. Using it for a manual would be like writing a manual entirely in an elegant cursive font.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Ehh I'm not proposing anything all that bold. All it amounts to is buying a pair of SongSurround 2's ($1,500/pr), setting them on top of a pair of Rythmik F8's ($1,528/pr in cheapo finish), and jacking up the XO.
F8s? Pshhh. F15s at the very least!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Where is TLS Guy when you really need him?
Is it boat season on Lake Benedict yet?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Those plants which look like a gramophone actually are a bundle of Lotus flowers. Egyptians fashioned many things after Papyrus and also Lotus flowers; Lotus iconography is much more common and representative of southern Egypt, way down the Nile. Also, Epytptians were not likely to use Heiroglyphs for a manual. They would have been far more likely to use demotic or Hieratic script. Hieroglyphs were a written system reserved for very formal and special applications, like writing on a temple wall and so on. Using it for a manual would be like writing a manual entirely in an elegant cursive font.
Just when I'm having fun with some silliness about hieroglyphs, along comes an expert and ruins all the fun.

Are you telling me archaeologists know for certain there wasn't a Karnak Division of Klipsch :rolleyes:?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Not an expert, have only read a couple books about it. Egyptian music was heavily percussion based, so no doubt they would have enjoyed Klipsch.

I always thought an obelisk would be a great form for a loudspeaker cabinet!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis