A little vent about 8k

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
Just bought a 65" 4k oled about 10 months ago. Been upgrading my movie collection to 4k blu ray, now all I see is 8k is the big thing, new hdmi standard and they say the Tokyo Olympics might be broadcast is 8k and most providers might even skip 4k and go straight to 8k. Like what the heck. Got to buy all new equipment and replace my dmp-up800. Basically 6000 worth of home theater equipment including waiting for a pre amp with hdmi standards that can pass 8k. Frustrated :mad::mad:

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Just bought a 65" 4k oled about 10 months ago. Been upgrading my movie collection to 4k blu ray, now all I see is 8k is the big thing, new hdmi standard and they say the Tokyo Olympics might be broadcast is 8k and most providers might even skip 4k and go straight to 8k. Like what the heck. Got to buy all new equipment and replace my dmp-up800. Basically 6000 worth of home theater equipment including waiting for a pre amp with hdmi standards that can pass 8k. Frustrated :mad::mad:
You will be good for while. I'm still 1080p pioneer elite kuro and I'm completely happy.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
You don't need to be on the bleeding edge of technology- let it mature before replacing anything.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Tokyo Olympics might be broadcast is 8k only within Japan market only and for not much more than few corporate demos. You have to have an enormous sized screen and be very close to it to really notice the difference from 4k. Nothing for you to worry about. I sit so far away in my family room from my current (tiny) 55" tv that despite it's a 1080p, it might as well be a 720p - I won't be able to tell the difference.
I hope prices of 75" sets will continue to go down in price and up in image quality.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
You don't need to be on the bleeding edge of technology- let it mature before replacing anything.
Not only that, but 8K is mostly useless for residential use, unless you have a huge screen and you sit relatively close to it. 8K is really intended for movie theaters and digital video production. On a friend's 75" 4K display sitting about 12 feet from it, it took some really well-produced program material to see the 4K vs 1080 improvement. Mostly I noticed the wonders of 4K on the Planet Earth 3 BDs, but it's not enough to make me invest in a 4K pre-pro.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Not only that, but 8K is mostly useless for residential use, unless you have a huge screen and you sit relatively close to it. 8K is really intended for movie theaters and digital video production. On a friend's 75" 4K display sitting about 12 feet from it, it took some really well-produced program material to see the 4K vs 1080 improvement. Mostly I noticed the wonders of 4K on the Planet Earth 3 BDs, but it's not enough to make me invest in a 4K pre-pro.
If you walk up to a display, 1080 vs 4K is pretty easy to see- the 'grain' is much finer on a 4K TV but really, the viewing distance is what matters. I like Plasma and when my old TV puked, I bought a 42" Panasonic and the only ones that were still available were 720p, which still looks great from where I sit. As long as the source material matches the screen resolution, it will look good. I'm installing some equipment for a past customer and when I installed everything in 2003, the Hitachi commercial plasma displays had optional input modules and I chose analog inputs over HDMI which, I'm sure, would have crapped out/become totally obsolete by now. With the analog out from their cable box, it looks pretty good, although it would be better with something better than 480p.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I gave up trying to keep up with the upgrade wars. As others mentioned its better to wait a couple years in my opinion till the prices go down.

I was at Bjorn's the other day and they have that 8k Samsung TV on display. It costs like $10,000 or something like that. F@$!ing ridiculous.

I was going to upgrade my TV this Christmas but took a splurge and went projection. 1080p and $700 bucks later and I really can't tell the difference between it and my 4k TV in the bedroom

So I just sold that TV and I'm placing a projector in there as well. I have a feeling ceartin parts of my house and 4k Tv's or any TV for that matter are endangered species. Lol

Honestly like others said I wouldn't sweat it. You are going to be very happy with that 4k upgrade you did for a looooong time. Hell I'm still not tired of 1080p yet. Probably won't be for a little while longer.

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
It's not that, it's the whole market, I bought the oled because I watch movies with the lights off and coming from a plasma, I dont want to look at light bleed from an led. Then i see people complaining about how oled doesnt hit the nit levels for HDR content, so that makes me question my purchase. Then the price difference between screen sizes when I was looking a 55" was about $1600, then 65" $2600 ,75" $5000, why the huge price just just for 10" and thought about projection and the cheapest 4k hdr I was was about $5000 and the sales person said the picture wouldnt even be close to the oled panel. And now my expensive blu ray player cant do Dolby vision and my preamp cant pass through 4k, well it can but it doesn't have hdcp 2.2 so it really cant.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
It's not that, it's the whole market, I bought the oled because I watch movies with the lights off and coming from a plasma, I dont want to look at light bleed from an led. Then i see people complaining about how oled doesnt hit the nit levels for HDR content, so that makes me question my purchase. Then the price difference between screen sizes when I was looking a 55" was about $1600, then 65" $2600 ,75" $5000, why the huge price just just for 10" and thought about projection and the cheapest 4k hdr I was was about $5000 and the sales person said the picture wouldnt even be close to the oled panel. And now my expensive blu ray player cant do Dolby vision and my preamp cant pass through 4k, well it can but it doesn't have hdcp 2.2 so it really cant.
Although I paid cost plus 10 for my Kuros, I'd pay full price if needed. Look at how long it took for 4k content to get to a slow trickle. You need not worry about 8k.... no reason whatsoever to get worked up about it. Again I'm not 4k and I will guarantee you only a few displays look better, and then maybe.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Just out of curiosity, what is your audio setup?

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
I have a Yamaha cx-a5000 with outlaw model 5000 to power the center and surrounds and a parasound a21 for the front speakers. The front speakers are paradigm persona 3f and the center is a paradigm prestige 45c and the surrounds are paradigm surround 3 v7 which are bi directional and a paradigm reference sub 12.But it's in a square room with 8 foot ceilings so I'm not getting the full benefits of the sub due to standing waves and nulls and with other frequencies more exaggerated than others.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I have a Yamaha cx-a5000 with outlaw model 5000 to power the center and surrounds and a parasound a21 for the front speakers. The front speakers are paradigm persona 3f and the center is a paradigm prestige 45c and the surrounds are paradigm surround 3 v7 which are bi directional and a paradigm reference sub 12.But it's in a square room with 8 foot ceilings so I'm not getting the full benefits of the sub due to standing waves and nulls and with other frequencies more exaggerated than others.
Yeah Damn square rooms are tough to deal with they have that reputation. I thought I was gonna hate my weird shape room turns out it's great for bass who'd have thunk it?

Sucks to hear about your oled experience. Can you still return it if necessary? Are you still in that window?

You gotta be careful what the sales guy says there there to do one thing sell. Not always on your best interest. The important thing is are you happy with the TV? Screw the issues you've heard reported what it can or can't do. How does it work for you. When you push all that stuff to the side well if you can get lost in enjoying the experience well then it's the right TV for you.

4k projectors are pricey but there's decent budget ones and for price what you get in immersion and size more then makes up for the cost of a comparable 4k tv. I've demoed some in my place and at stores and they are pretty Damn impressive. Of course you gotta have good light control the right setup the right room to bring out there best that's a whole nother ballgame. But that's only in my opinion if you go for the highest price. They deserve the right treatment. But the budget one in my living room kicks a$! And in my opinion is way better then 4k for bang for buck. Just my opinion

It sounds like your frustrated. New equipment tough room challenging setups not just with video but like with your sub. Man I get that. Shoot us some specific threads on each situation and the guys here will help you squeeze the most out of your gear. They helped me so much on mine.

Best of luck with everything but dont let the sales guys and specs and all that stuff get you down it's fun doing this and I love the hunt. Don't be afraid to go with what feels good to you even if that bucks the current what's coolest spec heavy trend. And don't be afraid to return sh@$ and say hey this isn't working can you guys take me in this direction this is where I want to go. It's your hard earned money there getting you gotta right to be assertive sometimes on what you want great companies will work with you on that. Sometimes it takes trial and error before you get it just right for you. Anyways just wish you the best on this. It's a challenge but it's worth it when everything comes together

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
You have an audio system that anyone would enjoy. I'd dail that system in before I ever worried about 4k let alone 8k. If your OTA then 4k is common, otherwise it's pretty much select services and bluray. It took forever for 4k titles to populate services and bluray.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another 1080p plasma person here, no hurry to even go 4k and I've joked that by the time I'm ready to do that 8k will probably have arrived. I don't live in Japan tho and seeing as how long it took US broadcasters to even go digital that isn't a worry, let alone my inability to even stream 4k due bandwidth let alone worry about 8k streaming. Might think about additional subwoofage, tho.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
How do you like the Outlaw Model 5000? I’m considering one for my 5 base channels in 5.1.4

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My small theater room is somewhat square as well at 16.5 x 18. My sub is a Rythmik LVX12. If you want to spend less, I use dual HSU VTF2 MK5 in my other room, my 4300 cu ft living room, and those are just as powerful as my Rythmik but cost a bit less. :)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The great thing about any room is you can change the dimensions enough with furniture and accessories. A measurement mic is a wonderful tool for under $100

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis