A little veneer work

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I was going to fake the end grain around the openings but the epoxy treated MDF ends up being a natural match. Totally by luck on my part. I struggled with how I wanted to approach this one area and, once I saw the clear on all uniform, I was happy to find the transition ends up looking natural, in person anyway.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
They sprayed out a lot better than I expected. I was going to leave them apart while having to wait for these to be hard enough to fine sand/polish, which is a month, or two. They came out so nice, I figured to put them together and listen until then, instead. I took these apart and brought the working parts with, when we fled Irma, and they've been packed away since. This kit marked the end of production for the Dayton (Usher?) RS28a-4 tweeter, and I had already been hooked on them by then so, I wasn't taking any chances.

I did not get the rear reveal grain to match direction scheme. I had to use what drops there was. I had not figured on veneering the rears. Still like it better than I would have paint.

Here they were going back together. I had mounted the crossover board on double stacks of faucet washers for snubbers/spacers. This also allowed the foam to fit behind the crossover boards. At least all of the foam was already done.

Next time, if I decided I wanted a better finish, I would build new boxes and cut/drill all the holes with the veneer already in place. Reusing the original audition boxes was kind of a tedious PITA. The other tedious PITA is the rear mounted, Aurum Cantus woofer, that is 'not' a round flange. Then trying to exactly center the woofer after, is a real treat too.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Revisiting my "Starving Student II" Pre/Headphone amp over this rainy weekend. Welded the metal section Friday before leaving work, and ran these plywood bits over the table saw for the dados. Added the Sapele non-backed veneer on Saturday. It's a satisfying exercise watching it transform. All that's left to do is pore fill and clear lacquer coats. Will rip the height down before I finish it. Just easier to make the faces at least as wide as the sanding board. just for it being easier to veneer and sand more flat, more to hold onto, etc.

I leave just a little on the edges so I make sure to have enough to sand when sanding the pore filler off without sanding thru edges.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Sealed it with a couple coats of clear lacquer. Will add 6-8 more before it's through, then sand to around 2000 and hot coat it on the final layer.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
you do such nice work
Thank you. Small little projects like this tend to carry the same end result satisfaction, without getting all wrapped around one's own axle that can happen on larger, more complicated builds. That, and I get to use up scraps and other small bits.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Just scored this pair of JBL S38II for $120 from fb market. I already have a pair of these but wanted a project. I didn't want to buy another speaker kit being that the next kit on my radar (the Philharmonic BMR monitors) is NLA now that Meniscus Audio went away. These are just fun, potent little speakers and the cabinets on these were screwed to the wall and have holes in them and the vinyl is loose on parts of it. I could not buy the drivers and crossover parts for a low-end kit for what I paid. I aim to either build new cabinets with good bracing and real wood veneer, or salvage these if they seem substantial enough. These cabs are not as inert as some others I have built. Just curious what putting this kit into a better cabinet may do for them.

Smaller 3-way speakers are kind of rare these days it seems and these little monsters pound. I realize the look is outdated and a bit gaudy, but I have such a good time with this design, that I thought it worthy to use up some of my old veneer on.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just scored this pair of JBL S38II for $120 from fb market. I already have a pair of these but wanted a project. I didn't want to buy another speaker kit being that the next kit on my radar (the Philharmonic BMR monitors) is NLA now that Meniscus Audio went away. These are just fun, potent little speakers and the cabinets on these were screwed to the wall and have holes in them and the vinyl is loose on parts of it. I could not buy the drivers and crossover parts for a low-end kit for what I paid. I aim to either build new cabinets with good bracing and real wood veneer, or salvage these if they seem substantial enough. These cabs are not as inert as some others I have built. Just curious what putting this kit into a better cabinet may do for them.

Smaller 3-way speakers are kind of rare these days it seems and these little monsters pound. I realize the look is outdated and a bit gaudy, but I have such a good time with this design, that I thought it worthy to use up some of my old veneer on.
Geez, I almost feel guilty selling you mine! Lol!!!
I’m curious how this will turn out. I loved those speakers. Although like you said, they do look dated etc. however they still perform great. Wondering if your upgrades will make them better.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Geez, I almost feel guilty selling you mine! Lol!!!
I’m curious how this will turn out. I loved those speakers. Although like you said, they do look dated etc. however they still perform great. Wondering if your upgrades will make them better.
Now I have two pairs. :D They ended up being some of the most fun speakers to listen to. They had been listed for a few months and I felt sorry for them. Thought at the very least, would be some spare parts for yours. The cabinets ring a bit when you rap on them. Haven't checked the thickness of the panels yet.

I personally don't think they look dated, I think they look like they sound. I'm no fashion Joe. I look pretty dated myself. I still have yours in the main spot currently. I did give the new ones a good session today before committing to fixing them up. They were not as well taken care of as yours were but they sound every bit as good. I am curious if there is improvement to be had as well.

You probably had no idea I would take to these like I have. When not in use, I cover them and keep them up off of the floor. 175 watt, 89db, 8" 3-way monitors is a near fielder's dream. See what you started? :D

The vinyl is only being held on the fronts by the drivers. Perfect candidates for repair.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
These cabinets will take some work. The side panels feel like they are only 1/2". I was sweating these double flared ports. Thought they were glued together after being fed thru the baffle. Luckily they have a built in bushing making the exposed side a little larger. Sheeewee. They are glued in, but I can basically disintegrate the MDF around them with water and just clean what glue residue remains on the port. There are some other tricky bits to these baffles. The mid is housed in a separate chamber and all of that is a close fit. The design is pretty solid and the crossover is minimal for a 3-way. The drivers are beefy and also well built, leaving clues as to why these things perhaps sound better than they ought to. Inert cabinets should really help these out.

Can see the shoulder on the port that makes this even doable at all, at least without buying different ports. The black part is the can for the mid.

Mid.

Woofer.

Last edited:
Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I think Greg Timbers had his fingers in this design too I’ve got several pairs in use still . Still today these can be great and are a steal at the price point you can find them .

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I think Greg Timbers had his fingers in this design too I’ve got several pairs in use still . Still today these can be great and are a steal at the price point you can find them .
They're somewhat overbuilt in the power handling department. Most people that own them will never push them to their absolute limit so, many of them, the drivers are still fresh with regard to wear. I think the cabinet is the only real budget item in this design. I think JBL is big enough that they can play these games with their designs. Many of their budget designs would compete a bit too closely with their high-end efforts otherwise, unless they intentionally threw a wrench in the works somewhere.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
They're somewhat overbuilt in the power handling department. Most people that own them will never push them to their absolute limit so, many of them, the drivers are still fresh with regard to wear. I think the cabinet is the only real budget item in this design. I think JBL is big enough that they can play these games with their designs. Many of their budget designs would compete a bit too closely with their high-end efforts otherwise, unless they intentionally threw a wrench in the works somewhere.
I use 2 pair in my garage setup and there great in a big area in my In house setup I use them for front heights have a pair in storage too I was going to set them up for rear height but maybe something smaller will do . But these are a great value still they were designed for digital music I’ve read and do excel at that medium as well as home theater .

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I use 2 pair in my garage setup and there great in a big area in my In house setup I use them for front heights have a pair in storage too I was going to set them up for rear height but maybe something smaller will do . But these are a great value still they were designed for digital music I’ve read and do excel at that medium as well as home theater .
I'll never get rid of them. They cover many roles, not discounting the studio monitor purpose as well. I have the pair I got from William, near field, and they are killer in that role.

I think it was just difficult for the likes of Timbers or Toole to build a speaker wrong is what happened with so many of these Northridge designs. I know that even in my trade, when customers try to go for less quality to save on the build, for me it's actually harder to retard something than it is to just do it right. It costs me more in planning and design and I end up giving them the right thing anyway.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I'll never get rid of them. They cover many roles, not discounting the studio monitor purpose as well. I have the pair I got from William, near field, and they are killer in that role.

I think it was just difficult for the likes of Timbers or Toole to build a speaker wrong is what happened with so many of these Northridge designs. I know that even in my trade, when customers try to go for less quality to save on the build, for me it's actually harder to retard something than it is to just do it right. It costs me more in planning and design and I end up giving them the right thing anyway.
Yep give Timbers or toole a open check book and behold there works that still stand up today I use the s-38’s for heights and a mint pair of s-28’s for my rear surround backs andJBL HP-520’s for front mains and side surrounds and and Array 880 center . I love the Array line and I’d settle for the HD-3800’s . But the HP-520’s I’ve had for years there a European design and use top notch drivers based on pro drivers it would take really mind blowing sound for me to switch them out .

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yep give Timbers or toole a open check book and behold there works that still stand up today I use the s-38’s for heights and a mint pair of s-28’s for my rear surround backs andJBL HP-520’s for front mains and side surrounds and and Array 880 center . I love the Array line and I’d settle for the HD-3800’s . But the HP-520’s I’ve had for years there a European design and use top notch drivers based on pro drivers it would take really mind blowing sound for me to switch them out .
I hear ya. I’m still using s-312II’s as my mains. I know there are better speakers out there, but I think I would cost a lot to upgrade. The tweeters are a French titanium design, and I believe Timbers was amazing. Mr boats s38’s were the companions to my 312’s. They worked sooooo good together. I digress lol.
I’d love the 3800’s.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Now I have two pairs. :D They ended up being some of the most fun speakers to listen to. They had been listed for a few months and I felt sorry for them. Thought at the very least, would be some spare parts for yours. The cabinets ring a bit when you rap on them. Haven't checked the thickness of the panels yet.

I personally don't think they look dated, I think they look like they sound. I'm no fashion Joe. I look pretty dated myself. I still have yours in the main spot currently. I did give the new ones a good session today before committing to fixing them up. They were not as well taken care of as yours were but they sound every bit as good. I am curious if there is improvement to be had as well.

You probably had no idea I would take to these like I have. When not in use, I cover them and keep them up off of the floor. 175 watt, 89db, 8" 3-way monitors is a near fielder's dream. See what you started? :D

The vinyl is only being held on the fronts by the drivers. Perfect candidates for repair.
Of course I knew you’d love them!
Truth is, it worked out for us both. I know you don’t care for the HT thing, but your purchase helped me facilitate my Atmos upgrade. My focus is equal on HT and music, and my Atmos experience has been mostly awesome. I enjoy your posts, and especially ones with those ol JBL’s.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Of course I knew you’d love them!
Truth is, it worked out for us both. I know you don’t care for the HT thing, but your purchase helped me facilitate my Atmos upgrade. My focus is equal on HT and music, and my Atmos experience has been mostly awesome. I enjoy your posts, and especially ones with those ol JBL’s.
LOL. . .I keep thinking to myself that I am glad you didn't do two channel with them or you probably would have kept them. Then adding a pair of 12" subs with them really put them over the top. It makes for an addicting music session.

They settle that madness of chasing higher-fi, in the sense that you know there are better speakers, but you just don't care, and that is where I like to be in this hobby. Was listening to Alison Krauss last night on qobuz and the vocal clarity and power was perfect.

Good stuff.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
LOL. . .I keep thinking to myself that I am glad you didn't do two channel with them or you probably would have kept them. Then adding a pair of 12" subs with them really put them over the top. It makes for an addicting music session.

They settle that madness of chasing higher-fi, in the sense that you know there are better speakers, but you just don't care, and that is where I like to be in this hobby. Was listening to Alison Krauss last night on qobuz and the vocal clarity and power was perfect.

Good stuff.
Actually, when we built our home, I did use them 2.0 for awhile(and 2.2 for a bit) while my gear was in storage. They were phenomenal! When I moved the 312’s in, I set the 38’s on top of them and did some comparisons. They performed very similarly, with the main difference being output capability and impact.
My LR are 14’ away and the 12” woofers and 92db are just “bigger” lol. At 8’ away as surrounds however, amazing. And you’re right. The StudioII series has definitely kept upgraditis in check. Although it does come to visit from time to time! lol
Edit: I think I should add. The monitor styled 38’s nearfield(6ish feet) probably image just a teeny tiny bit better than the 312’s, Just sayin…

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Actually, when we built our home, I did use them 2.0 for awhile(and 2.2 for a bit) while my gear was in storage. They were phenomenal! When I moved the 312’s in, I set the 38’s on top of them and did some comparisons. They performed very similarly, with the main difference being output capability and impact.
My LR are 14’ away and the 12” woofers and 92db are just “bigger” lol. At 8’ away as surrounds however, amazing. And you’re right. The StudioII series has definitely kept upgraditis in check. Although it does come to visit from time to time! lol
Edit: I think I should add. The monitor styled 38’s nearfield(6ish feet) probably image just a teeny tiny bit better than the 312’s, Just sayin…
I have a pair of the 312s as well. the 38s are definitely better than the 12s near field. Excellent monitors on their sides, no less. I am 2ft away. The phantom center is still inescapable at this close distance. They image for days in this room.

The 12s are no slouches for sure. Don't need subs with those.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis