A little story about a drunk Republican and a drunk Democrat at the same table.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, good. I thought it was a veiled accusation aimed at me. But, since only half of your description of a 'soft theist' applies to me, I must have been mistaken.
Oh no! No veiled accusations. It's just a description, and was not aimed at you at all.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
There's nothing wrong with taking some of the messaging from the bible. There's a lot of good teachings in there that set a solid moral compass. That's doesn't mean you must be religious or acknowledge the story's are all true. On the flip side it's so ambiguous through era's of misinterpretation that any crackpot is able to read into it's messaging any way they want. However, lest we forget it's simply a greatest hits of all the other religious documents of the culture and beliefs of the those that came before the Christians murdered them all and detroyed their cultures and history.
The so-called Evangelical "Christians" (almost purely White, btw) as a group use their religion as a cover for their bigotry, hatred and whatnot. How otherwise can you explain their overwhelming support of Trump to this day?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't be a punk, I didn't mean the entire bible, there are nuggets in there and you know it.
There are nuggets of good and bad in any book. I'm not trying to be a punk. I only suggested checking out exodous 21. It's a rule book for how to run your slave trade up to and including how to beat them and get away with it. You would be surprised how many people don't realize it's in there.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
Sometimes it's to went out their xenophobia/racism and I've been a target of that from time to time.

View attachment 50502
I've been called a white supremacist because I said online that James Bond shouldn't be black, that good characters need to be written for black people. And I've also been called a misogynist for also claiming that James Bond shouldn't be a woman because strong roles need to be written for women. Nearly a year before Craig ever said it. But when Daniel Craig says it, he's a hero to all. No one wins on the internet. Someone will find a problem with everything no matter what. And most people wake up just to take everything they read out of context.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
There are nuggets of good and bad in any book. I'm not trying to be a punk. I only suggested checking out exodous 21. It's a rule book for how to run your slave trade up to and including how to beat them and get away with it. You would be surprised how many people don't realize it's in there.
Religious people still bang their neighbors wives so... what do I know.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I've been called a white supremacist because I said online that James Bond shouldn't be black, that good characters need to be written for black people. And I've also been called a misogynist for also claiming that James Bond shouldn't be a woman because strong roles need to be written for women. Nearly a year before Craig ever said it. But when Daniel Craig says it, he's a hero to all. No one wins on the internet. Someone will find a problem with everything no matter what. And most people wake up just to take everything they read out of context.
Really? The James Bond character is a sexist violent white pig from the beginning of the movie series (I've not read any of Flemmings books). That's it, really, and part of the "appeal".

Next time you accused of that you could ask them who they want for a cast to depict the US Civil War. A black non-binary Ulysses perhaps?

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Really? The James Bond character is a sexist violent white pig from the beginning of the movie series (I've not read any of Flemmings books). That's it, really, and part of the "appeal".

Next time you accused of that you could ask them who they want for a cast to depicts the US Civil War.
We should make a serious Civil War movie and cast nothing but people from China. Really confuse the hell out of everyone.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
On the flip side it's so ambiguous through era's of misinterpretation that any crackpot is able to read into its messaging any way they want
Exactly. That's a huge problem and the argument is if it's the perfect word of god, why is it so ambiguous and open to interpretation? It should be clear and understood by all (tho Exodus 21 is NOT ambiguous- at all). There shouldn't be any ambiguity.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
We should make a serious Civil War movie and cast nothing but people from China. Really confuse the hell out of everyone.
The US Civil War was about white supremacy and black people as slaves. Any movie/series attempting to be "period correct" will have to deal with that in one way or another. It for sure wont be easy without denigrating the black and white people at the time making huge sacrifices.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
There's nothing wrong with taking some of the messaging from the bible. There's a lot of good teachings in there that set a solid moral compass. That's doesn't mean you must be religious or acknowledge the story's are all true. On the flip side it's so ambiguous through era's of misinterpretation that any crackpot is able to read into its messaging any way they want. However, lest we forget it's simply a greatest hits of all the other religious documents of the culture and beliefs of the those that came before the Christians murdered them all and destroyed their cultures and history.
I am very atheist, but I 100% agree. The problem is lots of people select to follow the tiny bits of the religious teachings while missing a much bigger picture. Pro-lifers are a great example of such. They care deeply for the unborn yet care very little for the welfare of young kids and their mothers. If you declare yourself pro-life then why would you be for the Death Penalty?
The map on the link below of states with allowed Capital punishment is fairly well overlaying with the Republican majority states

Last edited:
WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic

Next time you accused of that you could ask them who they want for a cast to depict the US Civil War. A black non-binary Ulysses perhaps?
I typically play the "Channing Tatum starring as Blade" card.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
So, some people cherry pick the good stuff and some cherry pick the bad stuff?

I'm sure you know this, but The Bible isn't really a book, but a collection of books written over several centuries by different men. The books were written in the context of their times and how the authors perceived the world. They also borrowed from earlier traditions - the parallels between the stories of Pandora's Box and Adam and Eve are undeniable.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Exactly. That's a huge problem and the argument is if it's the perfect word of god, why is it so ambiguous and open to interpretation? It should be clear and understood by all (tho Exodus 21 is NOT ambiguous- at all). There shouldn't be any ambiguity.
If nobody can agree on how to interpret the US constitution, how can anyone agree on The Bible?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
So, some people cherry pick the good stuff and some cherry pick the bad stuff?

I'm sure you know this, but The Bible isn't really a book, but a collection of books written over several centuries by different men. The books were written in the context of their times and how the authors perceived the world. They also borrowed from earlier traditions - the parallels between the stories of Pandora's Box and Adam and Eve are undeniable.
And there is the difference between you and the Christian fundamentalists.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis