A little story about a drunk Republican and a drunk Democrat at the same table.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So, some people cherry pick the good stuff and some cherry pick the bad stuff?

I'm sure you know this, but The Bible isn't really a book, but a collection of books written over several centuries by different men. The books were written in the context of their times and how the authors perceived the world. They also borrowed from earlier traditions - the parallels between the stories of Pandora's Box and Adam and Eve are undeniable.
It's a collection of over 60 books written by unknown authors and put together years after the fact by the church's. I completely agree the stories reflect the times. A big problem is that the fundamentalists are are saying it's the inerrant, transcendent word of God and should be followed to this day.

I do give fundamentalists credit for not having a lot of cognitive dissonance because they have the bible to fall back on. As awful as some of their beliefs are, at least they have a source to point to and don't need to do backflips to excuse some of the immoral proclamations and laws in it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If nobody can agree on how to interpret the US constitution, how can anyone agree on The Bible?
There's a lot less ambiguity in the Constitution, and we have this little system called amendments. We can change the Constitution if we discover there's something wrong with it. Nobody claims the Constitution is the perfect and inerrant, and we have a system in place for updates and improvement.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
So, some people cherry pick the good stuff and some cherry pick the bad stuff?

I'm sure you know this, but The Bible isn't really a book, but a collection of books written over several centuries by different men. The books were written in the context of their times and how the authors perceived the world. They also borrowed from earlier traditions - the parallels between the stories of Pandora's Box and Adam and Eve are undeniable.
My father was a theologian and I grew up in an environment where religion was at the forefront. I'm not that interested in nitpicking the minutia of nonsense and hypocrisy that is the bible or the various versions such as King James and so on. It sickens me to delve into those details actually.

After living through it, I can see the sides and how religion, conservatism and faith have all been fully weaponized today.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Damnit my gif didn't post on there like how I wanted it to! :D

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
And there is the difference between you and the Christian fundamentalists.
I probably have more in common with atheists. And no, I do not suffer from cognitive dissonance. The world is nothing if not ambiguous. I'm comfortable with that. :)

While I do take strong stances on some issues, I try to empathize with others' POV...although anti-vaxxers and Trump supporters test my empathy.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I probably have more in common with atheists. And no, I do not suffer from cognitive dissonance. The world is nothing if not ambiguous. I'm comfortable with that. :)

While I do take strong stances on some issues, I try to empathize with others' POV...although anti-vaxxers and Trump supporters test my empathy.
My comment was not meant to be derogatory in any way, if you thought otherwise I apologize.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I once read a saying, "the road to atheism is littered with copies of The Bible that have been read cover to cover".

Clearly, I have my thoughts and opinions on it, but II say do not listen to me. I fully encourage anyone who has questions to please, PLEASE, just read The Bible! Not just select parts. Read it for what it is and make up your own mind.

*edit: There's nothing I hate worse than atheist who makes bad arguments because they don't know what they're talking about.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
There's a lot less ambiguity in the Constitution, and we have this little system called amendments. We can change the Constitution if we discover there's something wrong with it. Nobody claims the Constitution is the perfect and inerrant, and we have a system in place for updates and improvement.
There's less ambiguity, but the Constitution is also much shorter. That said, there may be no piece of text on the planet more hotly debated, as to meaning, than the second amendment. And, since slavery was considered constitutional at one time, it is/was far from perfect.

As for The Bible, it can most certainly be amended. There are many versions and translations across the various Christian denominations. And, there is nothing stopping any individual from tearing the Old Testament out of their Bible and completely ignoring it, if they want.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And, there is nothing stopping any individual from tearing the Old Testament out of their Bible and completely ignoring it, if they want.
Wouldn't that include tossing the 10 commandments?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Also, I am unaware of any amendments contained in The Bible. I know the New Testament is supposed to be a new covenant, but there's nothing in the New Testament to suggest we should toss the old one. In fact Jesus says not one jot nor tittle of the law was to be changed. He also instructs all slaves to obey their masters, even the cruel ones.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
As an athiest myself, it bothers me to no end seeing people that have cancer or some disease thanking god they survived when it was their god that came calling for them and MAN giving them back their lives. Doctors, nurses... SCIENCE that saved them.

A few years back my mother in law was about to die and doctors were scrambling to find her a new lung and at the last minute they came through, gave her the transplant and saved her life. All she ever does is tell people how god saved her. Sorry to say but God tried to kill her and failed miserably.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I once read a saying, "the road to atheism is littered with copies of The Bible that have been read cover to cover".

Clearly, I have my thoughts and opinions on it, but II say do not listen to me. I fully encourage anyone who has questions to please, PLEASE, just read The Bible! Not just select parts. Read it for what it is and make up your own mind.

*edit: There's nothing I hate worse than atheist who makes bad arguments because they don't know what they're talking about.
Of course, it's not just The Bible. Many faiths have their sacred texts; some have no texts at all. It's not all about Christianity and I harbour no chauvinistic illusions of the superiority of any faith. The animistic beliefs of indigenous Americans and Africans are no more or less valid.

To gain a wider perspective is why I've read Dawkins and Hitchens, as well. :)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Pro-lifers are a great example of such. They care deeply for the unborn yet care very little for the welfare of young kids and their mothers.
'They', are you implying all ?

If you declare yourself pro-life then why would you be for the Death Penalty?
Simple, get rid of murderers and rapists, don't want that gene pool propagating .....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Of course, it's not just The Bible. Many faiths have their sacred texts; some have no texts at all. It's not all about Christianity and I harbour no chauvinistic illusions of the superiority of any faith. The animistic beliefs of indigenous Americans and Africans are no more or less valid.

To gain a wider perspective is why I've read Dawkins and Hitchens, as well. :)
I feel the same way about all religions.. I focus a lot on Christianity because here in America that's what I'm surrounded by, and immersed in every day.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Oh, no! I take no offence! It's all good, brother. :)
Your view of the Bible is very common in Norway, and Sweden as well, and is kind of a demarcation line towards the fundamentalists but without the self-serving hypocrisy as seen among many the US Evangelical Christians that I find so repulsing *)

I don't find I have much common ground with someone claiming the world is exactly 6000 years or so old.

*) I guess my upbringing shows through even though I've been an atheist for most of my life.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis