7.2.4 System for $3.5K

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
I think JBL Studio series is the way to go.

Heard that the 520C is not good as center. So will be fine with it or better dish-out $500($250 from my pocket but am fine with it if it gives us better result) extra to get additional pair of 530 speakers and place them Below and Above of the TV in Horizontal orientation to create Phantom center.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai

Heard that the 520C is not good as center. So will be fine with it or better dish-out $500($250 from my pocket but am fine with it if it gives us better result) extra to get additional pair of 530 speakers and place them Below and Above of the TV in Horizontal orientation to create Phantom center.
I just ordered the 530s last night to replace my Def Tech SM55 surrounds so I'll have 570 mains, 520C center and 530 surrounds. SVS subs

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

There are better designs for a center channel out there so that would be the knock on JBL 5 series, but I think the issues with the 2 way design are a little overblown. It's not really a problem until you get way off axis at a crappy viewing angle. I think the price and quality of the speakers make up for it. Hetfield's been running that center for a little while now and seems really pleased with it.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
There are better designs for a center channel out there so that would be the knock on JBL 5 series, but I think the issues with the 2 way design are a little overblown. It's not really a problem until you get way off axis at a crappy viewing angle. I think the price and quality of the speakers make up for it. Hetfield's been running that center for a little while now and seems really pleased with it.
Yeah I like it a lot actually . It works extremely well with the 570s. Can't wait to hear the 530s with all the other speakers here.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
I just ordered the 530s last night to replace my Def Tech SM55 surrounds so I'll have 570 mains, 520C center and 530 surrounds. SVS subs

No I am not much worried about it covering the width and being dynamically accurate. What I am worried is about the small drivers it has and a much narrower horn does the high end treble and mid-range being lost or undelivered. Compared to details we get from LR 570 and even Surrounds 530 speakers I am worried about loss in resolution.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Yeah I like it a lot actually . It works extremely well with the 570s. Can't wait to hear the 530s with all the other speakers here.

As you now have 530 speakers as well can you please replace the Center 520C with 530 and share your experience. Like if there is any difference at all. If there is what is the difference and how big of a difference it is.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
I do like your strong and firm stance/position on the budget. :D
Yeah unlike my friend who started his journey from SONY HT-A9H and ended up settling for JTR speakers. My uncle is not flexible with the budget at all. He is retired and earnings are limited to house rent he gets and some from farming. But that is it. So what I get for him now will be unchanged and gonna be used for 10Yrs. Hence no 5.1.2 setup to start with and expand on a later date down the line to 7.2.4. That is not gonna work for my Uncle.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
As you now have 530 speakers as well can you please replace the Center 520C with 530 and share your experience. Like if there is any difference at all. If there is what is the difference and how big of a difference it is.
I couldn't experiment with the 530 as a center channel but I bought them for surrounds as the ones I have are going. Any need a pair of SM55s? I have no need for them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well first, put your SM55s on Craigslist to help pay for your 530s! You should be able to get at a minimum a hundred bucks for those, likely more.

I think the 530 would possibly make a "better" center channel as far as wider dispersion because of the tweeter orientation.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Well first, put your SM55s on Craigslist to help pay for your 530s! You should be able to get at a minimum a hundred bucks for those, likely more.

I think the 530 would possibly make a "better" center channel as far as wider dispersion because of the tweeter orientation.
Yes having the same thought.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai

I have it up here and AVS. Is Craigslist better? That place scares me with people getting killed from there.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
@Pogre @Hetfield
Ordered extra pair of 530s and paid for them out of my pocket. Will try 1 530 for center. If it is any better than 520C will add second on top to see how it goes. If it makes it worse will go back to single 530. If it improves will leave it like that. But if 530 is no big improvement over 520C gonna use it for myself .

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
@Pogre @Hetfield
Ordered extra pair of 530s and paid for them out of my pocket. Will try 1 530 for center. If it is any better than 520C will add second on top to see how it goes. If it makes it worse will go back to single 530. If it improves will leave it like that. But if 530 is no big improvement over 520C gonna use it for myself .
I definitely wound not add a second surround to the top. It will just be an acoustic mess.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre @Hetfield
I agree with Bill, just stick with a single speaker for a center. Otherwise you could run into acoustic issues.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have it up here and AVS. Is Craigslist better? That place scares me with people getting killed from there.

I've had good luck with Craigslist both buying and selling. I got $1500 for my Ultra towers. Sold the books (3 of them) for $1000.

Fear of death never entered my thought process, lol.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Well unfortunately JBL screwed up and is sending 2 pairs of 530s. I ordered but forgot to do it through Rakuten so I chatted with them and they said they cancelled that order. I then ordered through Rakuten and guess what, they never cancelled the first one so I have 2 sets coming and to be perfectly honest I'm pretty annoyed by this. I will return right away and that cost them money in shipping.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I've had good luck with Craigslist both buying and selling. I got $1500 for my Ultra towers. Sold the books (3 of them) for $1000.

Fear of death never entered my thought process, lol.
I listed them and cheap, 150 for the pair. I just want them sold.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I definitely wound not add a second surround to the top. It will just be an acoustic mess.
I’d think laying a 530 on its side will create dispersion problems with the orientation of the compression driver horn it could go from good standing up normal to very weird sounding laying on its side . Or mabey Iam not understanding his intended use of the 530’s for a center channel .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I’d think laying a 530 on its side will create dispersion problems with the orientation of the compression driver horn it could go from good standing up normal to very weird sounding laying on its side . Or mabey Iam not understanding his intended use of the 530’s for a center channel .
Yes, this. I was operating under the assumption he is going to use it in its intended orientation, but this is worth mentioning.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis