7.2.4 System for $3.5K

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
I am looking for the setup for my uncle.

7.2.4 system for $3.5K

Usage:
Movies - 80%
Music - 20%

So yeah this setup is focused more towards Movies. Music is not weighed in much but be good if it dint sound too bad.

2 Subs I guess SVS PB 1000 and no am not going above $500 for each sub.

Kinda open room but will use thick curtains to limit the space. Not gonna do much for low end but mid to high frequencies are left out.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think he'd be much better served going with 5.2.4 and upping the sub budget, especially for movies. If this is mostly for movies the subs are going to be a lot more impactful than rear surround speakers, and equally as important as the main speakers.

So this budget, is it for everything? Including receiver too, or just the speakers? How big is the room? How far will he be sitting from the front stage?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The Monolith 365T mini towers for $399 apiece.

Monolith 365C 3 way center channel for $349.

Monolith 265B books for surrounds for $269 each.

Monolith THX Ultra certified 12" subs for $699 each.

That takes care of all the speakers for 5.2 for under $3100. If you go with the 460T towers (open box) add another $400, but with subs in play the mini towers should be more than enough. I know it doesn't leave a lot left over for a receiver but would be a killer, killer sounding system, ALL THX Ultra certified and reviewed very well here at AH.

Another option would be the JBL Studio 5 series speakers which go on sale fairly often (right now in fact!) for 50% off! Catch 'em on sale and you can build a killer system on the cheap with those too.

Look at the Studio 5 series. The 570s are only $400/pr right now! I'd still stick with Monoprice Monolith subs tho.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well crap, I think have a couple issues going with all Monoprice.

1) I didn't account for the atmos speakers.
2) I don't count "atmos enabled" bouncy house speakers as true atmos.
3) I hate to see you pay for atmos enabled if you're not gonna use the extra up firing speaker. I probably wouldn't use 'em either if I'm being honest.

So some caveats with those. Actually for that matter are you looking at in/on ceiling for atmos? You didn't really say... and atmos enabled can work if set up properly. In ceiling is most ideal tho.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, I'm gonna take another poke at this and show a li'l more respect for the budget... lol.

JBL Studio 590 towers for $900/pr.

JBL Studio 520C center channel for $90

JBL Studio 530 books for surrounds.

2 Monolith 12 THX Ultra subs for $1400

So there's a great bed layer and subwoofage for under $2700, leaving a chunk left over for atmos speakers. Also, the Studio 580s can be had for $500/pr. That would shave off another $400 and if you get good subs you're still covered.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
I think he'd be much better served going with 5.2.4 and upping the sub budget, especially for movies. If this is mostly for movies the subs are going to be a lot more impactful than rear surround speakers, and equally as important as the main speakers.

So this budget, is it for everything? Including receiver too, or just the speakers? How big is the room? How far will he be sitting from the front stage?
Yeah the budget is for Including Receiver. Denon X3700H. + $150 2ch Amp. + 7.2.4speakers.
And no he won't be adding or upgrading to the setup over time as many do. Once purchased what ever it is gonna be FINAL and nothing gonna be added to it. The setup will be used At-least for 10Yrs. So yes. Don't need anything crazy a notch below it is fine. But it should be decent.

Last edited:
KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
As I said in OP the room is open. rear half being closed on two sides. Complex room. Lets say open room. If you gonna make me spend high on Subwoofers then adjust it in the Speakers. Give us good speakers with real good Dynamics and clarity and detail. At this point it need not be Neutral and absolutely accurate. Should have decent Sound-stage and imaging though.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Okay, I'm gonna take another poke at this and show a li'l more respect for the budget... lol.

JBL Studio 590 towers for $900/pr.

JBL Studio 520C center channel for $90

JBL Studio 530 books for surrounds.

2 Monolith 12 THX Ultra subs for $1400

So there's a great bed layer and subwoofage for under $2700, leaving a chunk left over for atmos speakers. Also, the Studio 580s can be had for $500/pr. That would shave off another $400 and if you get good subs you're still covered.
Instead of Studio I was looking at Stage speakers. They seem to fit the budget. But am looking for anything better than JBL Stage series while fitting in that budget.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Instead of Studio I was looking at Stage speakers. They seem to fit the budget. But am looking for anything better than JBL Stage series while fitting in that budget.
The Studio series is a nice step up from the Stage series and at their current prices are a pretty easy pick for me. You could even drop down to the 570s with good subwoofage. Those are $400/pr right now. Keep in mind these are half price right now and a very legit great deal.

Studio 580s - $500/pr mains
Studio 520C - $90 center channel
Studio 530 - $250/pr surround speakers
2 Monolith 12 THX Ultras $1400/pr subs

Total of $2240 for 5.2 bed layer. That leaves a nice chunk left over for a receiver and atmos speakers. All of it is on sale right now. For how long I dunno, but that'd be a great start. I think the Studio series are a clear step up from the Stage series and the sale prices are legit very good.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I can vouch for the JBL Studio series, and in particular the 570/520C combo. I bought this combo a month or two ago and its excellent. Very nice detailed speakers. If it's at all possible 3 570s for LCR, a 570 center channel would be over the top awesome but the 520C is not bad at all. I am enjoying it very much.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I can vouch for the JBL Studio series, and in particular the 570/520C combo. I bought this combo a month or two ago and its excellent. Very nice detailed speakers. If it's at all possible 3 570s for LCR, a 570 center channel would be over the top awesome but the 520C is not bad at all. I am enjoying it very much.
I was thinking of you and almost summoned you. I prolly would have in the next post or 2, lol.

But yeah, the 570s are $400/pr so that'd knock the total down to $2140 for a really solid 5.2 bed layer for ht that will sound great for stereo music too.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I was thinking of you and almost summoned you. I prolly would have in the next post or 2, lol.

But yeah, the 570s are $400/pr so that'd knock the total down to $2140 for a really solid 5.2 bed layer for ht that will sound great for stereo music too.
Yeah it's pretty much the best deal going at the moment in home theater speakers. I mean JBL doesn't put out garbage and this is far from garbage. I absolutely love mine. He could also do a 530 center but then you waste one.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Okay JBL Studio series. Main option. If available withing budget range.

If not that. Is there anything other than that which can come close to it if not as good as it. And actually cost less without the Sale.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay JBL Studio series. Main option. If available withing budget range.

If not that. Is there anything other than that which can come close to it if not as good as it. And actually cost less without the Sale.
Off the top of my head, not for those prices. They go on on sale like that maybe a couple times a year. They're good speakers. I'd put them up there with SVS' Ultra series.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Off the top of my head, not for those prices. They go on on sale like that maybe a couple times a year. They're good speakers. I'd put them up there with SVS' Ultra series.
Got recommended Emotiva B1+ for front and surround in pairing of C1+ which seems to decent second option.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Got recommended Emotiva B1+ for front and surround in pairing of C1+ which seems to decent second option.
The C1+ does look like a better designed center channel and the price is definitely friendlier for the B1+'s at $250/pr. I think I recently saw a pretty favorable review for the T1+ towers from that same line of speakers so I imagine the books are solid too. Might take a hit in dynamics with books up front, but they do look like decent speakers.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
The C1+ does look like a better designed center channel and the price is definitely friendlier for the B1+'s at $250/pr. I think I recently saw a pretty favorable review for the T1+ towers from that same line of speakers so I imagine the books are solid too. Might take a hit in dynamics with books up front, but they do look like decent speakers.
Emotiva speakers do seem to get good reviews and a lot of love from their owners. The C2 looks interesting, 3 way with ribbon tweeter. Kinda want to try that with the JBL 570s. 2 completely different tweeter designs though.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Emotiva speakers do seem to get good reviews and a lot of love from their owners. The C2 looks interesting, 3 way with ribbon tweeter. Kinda want to try that with the JBL 570s. 2 completely different tweeter designs though.
Yeah I don't recall hearing anything bad about them. Here's the review I was thinking about. It's for the T2's tho.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well holy crap. ASR actually gave the B1+ a "recommend" in his review. High praise from him...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis