4k disc and blu ray any difference in sound quality

KcMeGa007

KcMeGa007

Audioholic Intern
Hi, I am curious about the sound , between the two format of ,4k disc and blu ray ,of course 4k disc has more to offer , it's much expensive too, I am trying to buy mostly in 4k disc ,now in My collection,but some very old movies just not worth $30 to $45 ,if the blu ray version cost $15 or less at times , because I recently got the Yamaha RX A8A Receiver, so sound for me is the main point , if an blu ray disc support Dolby atmos , my question is ,that if the blu ray version support Dolby atoms ,these the 4k version still sound much better , thanks

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Many of the blu-ray master versions have much better sound than the REengineered 4K versions. Check the reviewers comments at amazon before purchasing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can check various sites to see the audio formats included, such as Blu-ray.com. Amazon often does not have the correct audio information or it is missing entirely, so I would not use that as a good place to check (Amazon user reviews are relatively useless too). Not in every case is it true, but in most cases the 4K disc will have a higher audio format such as Atmos or DTS-X. I don't recall ever seeing a 4K version have a lower audio format, they are either the same or the 4K variant has a higher format. The video portion is also what you're paying more for, but that comes down to the film.

I check the reviews to see which ones have a good 4K transfer and good audio before buying usually. Those that do not, or films that I will watch regardless of quality or that I don't need super crazy quality, BD is fine.

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Many of the blu-ray master versions have much better sound than the REengineered 4K versions. Check the reviewers comments at amazon before purchasing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There is no doubt about that and I didn't believe it till I experienced it. It blows my mind that it's that way but it's true. Mrs Peregrine comes to mind but there are others.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I guess it depends on which track you're using on the 4K? Mrs Peregrine got a 5.0 rating for audio on the 4K disc. The review seems to indicate even the DTS track is improved though:

This 4K UHD version of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ups the sonic ante from the 1080p Blu-rays DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 mix to Dolby Atmos (with a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 core). The 1080p Blu-ray sound mix is consistently immersive and often quite inventive, and those proclivities are only increased with the Atmos channels engaged. There are a number of really neat pinpoint placements of effects, some relatively minor (like the door opening when Jake joins the kids for dinner at Miss Peregrine's), which have a more spatial presence in the Atmos mix than the DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 version. As with the 1080p Blu-ray version, though, there's near ubiquitous surround presence due to both ambient environmental noises and more whimsical sound effects, especially once the Peculiars and Hollows enter the fray.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Like streaming music I think it'd be nice to have specific provenance on the mix/mastering used on all optical discs but doubt we're gonna get it any more than with streaming music for the most part....

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Hi, I am curious about the sound , between the two format of ,4k disc and blu ray ,of course 4k disc has more to offer , it's much expensive too, I am trying to buy mostly in 4k disc ,now in My collection,but some very old movies just not worth $30 to $45 ,if the blu ray version cost $15 or less at times , because I recently got the Yamaha RX A8A Receiver, so sound for me is the main point , if an blu ray disc support Dolby atmos , my question is ,that if the blu ray version support Dolby atoms ,these the 4k version still sound much better , thanks
Yes, and no..the remastered is better, in my opinion the 4K track on a 4K disc is better. I read a article on just what you're asking. Loveinthehd, Probably knows a lil more and can probably explain it better than I can. But the article I read was on the engineering side after the movie was produced but many factors come into play on what the end result will be encoded on the disc. The article stated the the 4K sound track the ",meat" track laid down on a 4K disc think Hi-Res is saved for Home Audio 4K moves for the best pristine sound experience. That is the very reason I, like you, I only invest my money for the movies I like to buy on 4K blu-ray disc.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I believe an Atmos or dtsx track will be a bit for bit transfer from BD to UHD, iow no compression. But I have seen some people report they need higher MV levels, or even some tracks with neutered bass. I’ve experienced this going from dvd tracks to bd version in the past.
I usually only buy 4K versions if it’s the only way to get the Atmos track.
If you enter “XYZ movie review” into googletron you should be able to find reviews that talk about what you’re asking. Ralph Potts on AVS does good reviews. Iirc the guys on blu ray forum use soundbars and weak azz subwoofers so I don’t read their shitt. They might talk about the soundtracks bandwidth etc though.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I believe an Atmos or dtsx track will be a bit for bit transfer from BD to UHD, iow no compression. But I have seen some people report they need higher MV levels, or even some tracks with neutered bass. I’ve experienced this going from dvd tracks to bd version in the past.
I usually only buy 4K versions if it’s the only way to get the Atmos track.
If you enter “XYZ movie review” into googletron you should be able to find reviews that talk about what you’re asking. Ralph Potts on AVS does good reviews. Iirc the guys on blu ray forum use soundbars and weak azz subwoofers so I don’t read their shitt. They might talk about the soundtracks bandwidth etc though.
The issue is with very specific movies. Master and Commander has a great DTS track on the DVD, but apparently the BD version got a LFE cut off. Same with some of the LOTR releases.

Super fun we have to look out for that nonsense.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
4K can be misleading. I've got the 75th Anniversary edition of Frank Capra's "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" (1939, Columbia Pictures). The case says "FULLY RESTORED & MASTERED IN 4K". But the fine print says 'Feature: 1080p HD, which is actually 2K! The remaining 2K is used for subtitles in practically every language used (English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Thai, Greek, Japanese, Korean, Chinese)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
4K can be misleading. I've got the 75th Anniversary edition of Frank Capra's "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" (1939, Columbia Pictures). The case says "FULLY RESTORED & MASTERED IN 4K". But the fine print says 'Feature: 1080p HD, which is actually 2K! The remaining 2K is used for subtitles in practically every language used (English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Thai, Greek, Japanese, Korean, Chinese)
So dumb. Why even say that it's mastered in 4k, then fully admit that it isn't on the same package?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The issue is with very specific movies. Master and Commander has a great DTS track on the DVD, but apparently the BD version got a LFE cut off. Same with some of the LOTR releases.

DVD to BD, I have encountered that as well. So far not really on 1080 BD to 4K.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

The DVD soundtrack of Master & Commander, although lossy is reference quality. Very few BluRay with lossless soundtracks surpass its sound quality. Who ever mixed that track knew their craft very well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The DVD soundtrack of Master & Commander, although lossy is reference quality. Very few BluRay with lossless soundtracks surpass its sound quality. Who ever mixed that track knew their craft very well.
Just another reason I'd like to have access to full provenance.....see who did what and when....

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
So dumb. Why even say that it's mastered in 4k, then fully admit that it isn't on the same package?
Why do you say I'm dumb? All I did was share something I saw in one of my 4K blu-ray movies.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Right?!?! M&C was one of the first ones I remember that on. I was so pissed! I demoed it for my brother thinking the new BD version was gonna be at least as good. Nope. I thought something was broken, and he was like yeah that’s cool I guess. I gave him the BD since his system was weak anyways.
Yay! Soundbar mixes!!!!!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The worst part is the neutered bass. I have graphs of both tracks somewhere….. it’s so dumb.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just another reason I'd like to have access to full provenance.....see who did what and when....
REmaster doesn't always translate to better. I remember when I bought the M&C BD and was massively disappointed too. The track does sound great, but the bass... I just played that one about 2 weeks ago and it still bugs me. I do believe though, it may actually be that the DVD bass was actually mixed hot and the BD is a more accurate representation, however the result is less bass than we were accustomed to.

As for Blu-ray doing tests with lesser gear, whatever the case, I have found their ratings of the audio tracks to be pretty reliable. If they say it's bad, it is. If they say it's reference, it is.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
REmaster doesn't always translate to better. I remember when I bought the M&C BD and was massively disappointed too. The track does sound great, but the bass... I just played that one about 2 weeks ago and it still bugs me. I do believe though, it may actually be that the DVD bass was actually mixed hot and the BD is a more accurate representation, however the result is less bass than we were accustomed to.

As for Blu-ray doing tests with lesser gear, whatever the case, I have found their ratings of the audio tracks to be pretty reliable. If they say it's bad, it is. If they say it's reference, it is.

Here J. I would definitely not say it was mixed hotter. You can easily see that on the BD there’s nothing below 30hz.
I don’t know for sure what blu ray uses for gear. I was just repeating what I read somewhere. Maybe I should look there more often!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis