4k disc and blu ray any difference in sound quality

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Here J. I would definitely not say it was mixed hotter. You can easily see that on the BD there’s nothing below 30hz.
I don’t know for sure what blu ray uses for gear. I was just repeating what I read somewhere. Maybe I should look there more often!
Yeah, I recall people showing the waterfalls. It is CLEARLY evident when you watch the scene though. The sound is there, but no authority on the deep end. There are a number of versions of this disc on BD, but I don't think this has ever been fixed. As far as I know, no 4K remaster for M&C yet. If they fix that, I would expect this disc to sound amazing with a DTS-X or Atmos track.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Good Discussion Gents. I wouldn't have expected this. Especially when I was thinking of buying the reworked LOTR series for a Christmas present for my son.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
REmaster doesn't always translate to better. I remember when I bought the M&C BD and was massively disappointed too. The track does sound great, but the bass... I just played that one about 2 weeks ago and it still bugs me. I do believe though, it may actually be that the DVD bass was actually mixed hot and the BD is a more accurate representation, however the result is less bass than we were accustomed to.

As for Blu-ray doing tests with lesser gear, whatever the case, I have found their ratings of the audio tracks to be pretty reliable. If they say it's bad, it is. If they say it's reference, it is.
Not at all, depends on who's doing it and likely with what gear comes into it as well....they can't all be Steven Wilson talented or committed :). That's why I'd like to know more about the recording, just doubt I'll ever get that much info about who and what they particularly did any more than we usually get with music. I got warned on the M&C thing thru the interwebs so just stuck with the dvd. Tracks can definitely vary. My sister's roommate gave me a rip of Bladerunner 2049 with an AC3 soundtrack, it was lightweight compared to the bluray.

Sawtaytoes

Sawtaytoes

Junior Audioholic
I went to MWAVE 2023, and one of the SVS reps was saying many of the 4K discs have worse audio than Blu-ray. I looked around and only found this thread on the topic. I probably have bad search terms: "4K audio worse audio than blu-ray?".

I'm wondering if there's a good thread I can go to with a list of tracks that have the Ultra HD Blu-ray audio neutered compared to regular Blu-ray. Even compared to DVD.

I rip all my movies and am the kind of guy that would take the audio track from one rip and use MKVToolNix to put that audio on the other rip. If there are cases where the Blu-ray or DVD audio are better, I'd definitely wanna fix that.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I went to MWAVE 2023, and one of the SVS reps was saying many of the 4K discs have worse audio than Blu-ray. I looked around and only found this thread on the topic. I probably have bad search terms: "4K audio worse audio than blu-ray?".

I'm wondering if there's a good thread I can go to with a list of tracks that have the Ultra HD Blu-ray audio neutered compared to regular Blu-ray. Even compared to DVD.

I rip all my movies and am the kind of guy that would take the audio track from one rip and use MKVToolNix to put that audio on the other rip. If there are cases where the Blu-ray or DVD audio are better, I'd definitely wanna fix that.
Bluray.com is good for comparing audio quality.
Most infamous is Edge Of Tomorrow.....the ultra low bass opening was neutered/cutoff on the 4K release.

Sawtaytoes

Sawtaytoes

Junior Audioholic
Bluray.com is good for comparing audio quality.
Most infamous is Edge Of Tomorrow.....the ultra low bass opening was neutered/cutoff on the 4K release.
Wow, that's crazy. Only the beginning of the whole thing? And what about the Blu-ray included with the 4K release?

I've been to Blu-ray.com, but I have to search for movies right? There's no definitive list of "better audio on older version discs" anywhere?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Wow, that's crazy. Only the beginning of the whole thing? And what about the Blu-ray included with the 4K release?

I've been to Blu-ray.com, but I have to search for movies right? There's no definitive list of "better audio on older version discs" anywhere?
The whole movie has the bass cut...to make it fit on a smaller 4K disc. Most 4K discs are 66 gigs, and a few are 100 gigs.
No list like that I know of...you just have to keep up with reviews of discs and comments on the audio.

This link has good bass/movie info.

Last edited:
isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
That link has quite a bit of info. It doesn't tell me if I can pull audio off a Blu-ray disc and put it on the 4K MKV file though.
Sure you can....sometimes though, it's not as easy as just a simple remux. If the video differs by a few seconds you have to either delay/expand or even trim the audio file.

You would have to rip the disc with MakeMkv and then mux out the desired audio track.
Play the file you want to mux into with MPC and select the new audio file and see if they sync up.
Sometimes they do...sometimes they don't.
I've done it many times.
Bottom line....it's not worth doing for every disc, just the big offenders.
Lots of file freaks like to mux new Atmos files into older files...same principle as above applies.
Sometimes it's easy...sometimes its not.
When you get into trimming a few seconds off the start of a 40 gig or so file hoping it syncs, you get into mass amounts of file manipulation.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts [Bass charts are on the first page]
[/URL]
This thread doesn’t really talk about the overall dynamics and things, but it’s very interesting in learning about the bottom end, and what movies have been neutered. Graphs to boot!

Sawtaytoes

Sawtaytoes

Junior Audioholic
I wrote some software to figure out which of my movies are in that forum post by scraping the HTML off it.

There's no way for me to know which published version I have unless that forum post starts including bitrates and track IDs; then I can read the media info of my files and see which don't match.

This is still better than nothing, and it helps me figure out if I wanna grab a better version or if I need to move the Blu-ray audio to the Ultra HD Blu-ray MKV.

1690437792581.png

It's all open source if you're curious.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis