4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So there's no ghosts or demons in "Hereditary" ?

Because "Sixth Sense" and "The Others" scared the hell of me. :D
Not exactly, it is kind of like Longlegs in that regard, never revealing only hinting and flashing. The level of intensity is higher as it is multiple people though.

The only really scary scene in Longlegs was at her house.

We got our tickets for Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Hollywood in Oct. :p

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Watched the new 4k set When Titans Ruled the Earth- Clash of the Titans and Wrath of the Titans.

PQ- Both looked great. 4k picture was nice on both movies. I thought the set and location details looked very good. The CGI looked a tad soft at times, but nothing terrible.

SQ- Arrow Video decided to keep the 5.1 tracks. I was a little annoyed they didn't give it the atmos upgrade, but overall the 5.1 sounded decent. Wrath of the Titans had a better soundtrack compared to the first one (Clash). The bass was heavier in Wrath as well. Nothing was anywhere near earth shattering, for bass that is. Even with lots of action going on, the bass was just mild overall.

Overall, I'd give the first movie (Clash) 8/10 and Wrath-7/10. Both movies are very short compared to some of the movies we get today. The first one is around 1 hour and 40 mins and the second is 1 hour 30 mins on the dot. The first time I saw Wrath of the Titans I wasn't a huge fan, but after re-watching it in 4k, I don't find it that bad at all. These are fun popcorn flicks. Turn the brain off and just enjoy. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Watched the new 4k set When Titans Ruled the Earth- Clash of the Titans and Wrath of the Titans.

PQ- Both looked great. 4k picture was nice on both movies. I thought the set and location details looked very good. The CGI looked a tad soft at times, but nothing terrible.

SQ- Arrow Video decided to keep the 5.1 tracks. I was a little annoyed they didn't give it the atmos upgrade, but overall the 5.1 sounded decent. Wrath of the Titans had a better soundtrack compared to the first one (Clash). The bass was heavier in Wrath as well. Nothing was anywhere near earth shattering, for bass that is. Even with lots of action going on, the bass was just mild overall.

Overall, I'd give the first movie (Clash) 8/10 and Wrath-7/10. Both movies are very short compared to some of the movies we get today. The first one is around 1 hour and 40 mins and the second is 1 hour 30 mins on the dot. The first time I saw Wrath of the Titans I wasn't a huge fan, but after re-watching it in 4k, I don't find it that bad at all. These are fun popcorn flicks. Turn the brain off and just enjoy. :)
These are my favorite genre, so I give both Clash/Wrath of the Titans a 10/10. :D

Definitely glad to have them in 4K, and too bad they are not ATMOS.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Some of the movies we get today should NOT be 3hrs :D

I saw the original Clash of the Titans in the theater. It was a great movie when I was a teen. Not so much rewatching it, but still a favorite of mine.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Next 4K/ATMOS movie I am waiting for (Sep 10) is Taylor Sheridan’s (written and directed) “Wind River”, which was shot in 3K Digital Arri Alexa.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Just saw "Borderlands".
Off the bat, I will say I'm somewhat of a Borderlands freak....hundreds and hundreds of hours into the games.

I think the harsh critics of this movie were wrong, and I'm usually a harsher critic than most.
It was fine. I really enjoyed it.
It looked like Borderlands brought to life.
I think it should have been "R" rated is the worst thing I can say about it.
It was sure better than the last three Star Wars films that I wanted to turn off after 20 minutes !

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just saw "Borderlands".
Off the bat, I will say I'm somewhat of a Borderlands freak....hundreds and hundreds of hours into the games.

I think the harsh critics of this movie were wrong, and I'm usually a harsher critic than most.
It was fine. I really enjoyed it.
It looked like Borderlands brought to life.
I think it should have been "R" rated is the worst thing I can say about it.
It was sure better than the last three Star Wars films that I wanted to turn off after 20 minutes !
Well, at least it was shot with 6.5K resolution Arri Alexa 65 digital camera. So should look great. Hopefully Atmos sound is good. I’ll give it a try. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Watched Beetlejuice Beetlejuice this weekend. I would give it 7/10 and our family are big fans of the original. It was fun, we liked it because it has the look and feel, but the story was all over the place. The sound was very good with surprisingly active atmos. Where it lets down is too many big actors in it that needed screen time and they oddly spent too much time on a character that was basically removed from the cast. The fact that they basically only mentioned the Maitlands, which the original movie is about, in passing was also odd. Nobody wants to touch Alec Baldwin these days though. The final act totally derailed the move too, like almost doesn't fit the rest of the film. I'd say you can wait for streaming on this one.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wind River 4K ATMOS UHD-BD.

PQ - shot using 3K Arri Alexa Digital cameras, so the PQ is clean. Since the setting is in dismal winter, the colors aren't vibrant at all (compared to something like Bad Boys Ride or Die, which looks extremely colorful). So PQ isn't beautiful looking, but just clean.

SQ. ATMOS is good. I heard thunder and some other sounds OVERHEAD. Plenty of good bass. So not big special sound effects movie, but definitely some good overhead ATMOS sound effects and good bass.

Story/Writing. Written and directed by the master Taylor Sheridan, so it's awesome as expected. Absolutely love the story.

I didn't realize this before, but after rewatching this movie, I just realized that 3 actors in this movie are in Taylor Sheridan's "The Mayor of Kingstown" and 2 actors are in Taylor Sheridan's "Yellowstone".

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Wind River 4K ATMOS UHD-BD.

PQ - shot using 3K Arri Alexa Digital cameras, so the PQ is clean. Since the setting is in dismal winter, the colors aren't vibrant at all (compared to something like Bad Boys Ride or Die, which looks extremely colorful). So PQ isn't beautiful looking, but just clean.

SQ. ATMOS is good. I heard thunder and some other sounds OVERHEAD. Plenty of good bass. So not big special sound effects movie, but definitely some good overhead ATMOS sound effects and good bass.

Story/Writing. Written and directed by the master Taylor Sheridan, so it's awesome as expected. Absolutely love the story.

I didn't realize this before, but after rewatching this movie, I just realized that 3 actors in this movie are in Taylor Sheridan's "The Mayor of Kingstown" and 2 actors are in Taylor Sheridan's "Yellowstone".
I just got my 4k Disc this week. I have never seen it before. So, I'm really looking forward to checking it out!

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Horizon: Chapter 1-4k Disc

PQ: Top notch! Costner knocked it out of the park with this movie. The picture is amazing. The cinematography is excellent. They added just a tiny bit of film grain to give it a cinematic feel. Very similar to Dune 2's postproduction processes. I would rank this movie as one of the top 5 best looking movies of the year, so far.

SQ: I am going to say this is a very good Atmos mix. I won't say it's "demo-worthy" but it's up there. My height speakers were definitely very active in certain scenes. Early on in the movie there is a house that is on fire, my atmos speakers were fully engaged with the sound of wood burning. You could hear all the little cracks the fire was making. It was very cool. Later, when the guns start blazing, the sound just fills the room. Since this takes place all outdoors, there are so many things going on around the characters that fill your speakers. I would love to hear this movie in a 16+ channel setup! :D

Overall: I'm going to give Horizon: Chapter 1 a solid 9/10. I loved it. It is an excellent western movie and a great start to hopefully a 4-movie saga. Costner does a great job bringing you back to the old west. The actors are all great in their roles. If I could nitpick on one actor in particular, it would be the young daughter (Elizabeth Kittredge). This is her first big movie, and you can kind of tell. Otherwise, all the other big named actors do a great job. I truly hope Costner is able to complete this movie saga. I am looking forward to seeing Chapter 2! :D:)

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Early on in the movie there is a house that is on fire, my atmos speakers were fully engaged with the sound of wood burning.
I also watched Horizon - Chapter 1 last night. The scene with the roof burning was also something I noted from the overheads - it was a nice effect.

I enjoyed the movie as well. It does look quite nice. I also think the sound was good but it's definitely a more restrained mix. There are long periods where it's mostly dialogue and and storytelling and it's all very LCR based. This isn't really a criticism, the surrounds come into play nicely when the scenes warrant them. This is just a well done, sensible mix in a movie that is far more a slower burn than action movie with effects going off constantly.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
I'm pretty sure Chapter 2 is already shot and through post production, as it was meant to follow just a few months after the first. It's been pulled from theatrical release, but will probably show up on streaming and hopefully UHD.

It's chapters 3 & 4 that are in doubt of ever getting made as Cosner has been funding part of this himself but surely needs studio backing to carry on past what's currently already done.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hopefully Costner learned his lesson, which is a strange thing for me to say since he is so experienced as both an actor and director.

But simple truth is that every director needs a great screenplay to even start making a great movie.

Maybe he’ll ask Taylor Sheridan to write (screenplay) and direct Horizon part 3 & 4, and Paramount can produce it. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I'm pretty sure Chapter 2 is already shot and through post production, as it was meant to follow just a few months after the first. It's been pulled from theatrical release, but will probably show up on streaming and hopefully UHD.

It's chapters 3 & 4 that are in doubt of ever getting made as Cosner has been funding part of this himself but surely needs studio backing to carry on past what's currently already done.
Chapter 1 & 2 were shot back-to-back. Chapters 3 & 4 still need to be made. Chapter two already played at Venus Film festival. I hope WB releases Chapter two before the end of this year.

As far as how much money it's made, that's hard to say. I believe shooting both movies, it cost around $100 million (marketing not included). Globally they say it made around $32 million. We don't have specific numbers on digital, 4k disc or K-scape sales. Since it was released on digital it has been on Apple's top 10 each week. We don't have concrete sales numbers for that. That's millions made from digital and physical sales that we don't know about or usually factor in. If I had to guess, I would say that the studio made back at least $50 million in all combined theatrical and post theatrical sales. So, it covered the cost of the first movie. Sure, it's not blowing up theaters, but Westerns today are not blowing up any theaters. Plus, add in its 3-hour runtime, it was not going to attract a massive audience.

The movie did not have a script issue. The script was fine. This was Chapter 1 of a 4-part saga. I would not expect a chapter 1 of anything to blow people's mind. Haha. We already know things heat up in chapter 2. This is entirely a huge build up type saga. I would expect 3 and 4 to include the big stuff. :)

I truly hope WB gives Costner the funds to finish this great western saga. We (western movie fans) have never had a large epic scale saga before, that I can think of. We've had western movies that have had long run time, but nothing that required 2-4 additional movies to continue the story.

Bring on Chapter 2!!! :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Hopefully Costner learned his lesson, which is a strange thing for me to say since he is so experienced as both an actor and director.

But simple truth is that every director needs a great screenplay to even start making a great movie.

Maybe he’ll ask Taylor Sheridan to write (screenplay) and direct Horizon part 3 & 4, and Paramount can produce it. :D
Haha that won't be happening. Costner gave Paramount and Sheridan kind of a big FU when he didn't return to finish Yellowstone season 5. Some of the garbage that came out when Horizon dropped in theaters, was Paramount attacking Costner and writing negative reviews and other things related to Costner. I don't think Costner wants to work with Paramount again. He'll stick with WB or other big-name studios or go fully independent. :D

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
It was a really bad idea to open that thing this summer and try to compete with Inside Out 2, Despicable Me 4, Deadpool & Wolverine, Alien Romulus and Beetlejuice Beetlejuice at the start of the school year. It should have been released near Thanksgiving and played through the holidays for any shot at some money from fans of the genre.

If they have to chase home video to break even, which will take years, they are not going to spend even more millions to promote the follow up to a historic flop. Costner may lose his house over this one and Whitney Houston isn’t around anymore to costar in another s#%ty Bodyguard movie that can get by on the strength of a hit song.

There is an interesting read about how Horizon may have been shot as a miniseries and then patched together for a theatrical release. If so, and they want to save it, it should be re-edited and released on streaming as “Horizon: The Original Vision” or “The Original Saga” and be followed up with a big and expensive 4K boxed set. If it works, they can film the remaining installments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Westerns/comments/1e9oliy

D

dolynick

Audioholic
I'm not sure why you'd say this. Horizon Chapter 1 was one of the better movies I've watched over the last while. It went by much quicker than I would have expected a 3 hour movie to, which is usually good sign that you're engrossed enough for the time to fly by. I didn't see any real mis-steps in the script. Defintely a slower burn western, but that's not a terrible thing, especially given that it's clearly just the first part of a much longer story.

The extended sizzle reel at the somewhat abrupt end of the movie was unexpected and unsual.

I'm sure some people didn't like it. That's the always case. But I though Horizon Chapter 1 was pretty well made.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
It was a really bad idea to open that thing this summer and try to compete with Inside Out 2, Despicable Me 4, Deadpool & Wolverine, Alien Romulus and Beetlejuice Beetlejuice at the start of the school year. It should have been released near Thanksgiving and played through the holidays for any shot at some money from fans of the genre.

If they have to chase home video to break even, which will take years, they are not going to spend even more millions to promote the follow up to a historic flop. Costner may lose his house over this one and Whitney Houston isn’t around anymore to costar in another s#%ty Bodyguard movie that can get by on the strength of a hit song.

There is an interesting read about how Horizon may have been shot as a miniseries and then patched together for a theatrical release. If so, and they want to save it, it should be re-edited and released on streaming as “Horizon: The Original Vision” or “The Original Saga” and be followed up with a big and expensive 4K boxed set. If it works, they can film the remaining installments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Westerns/comments/1e9oliy
Eh, I'm not taking much from that rando on Reddit. He's dead wrong though. Costner has had this movie, and has been writing it since the early 90's. Costner was not thinking streaming back then. He wanted full scale big budget movie. He's just 20 years too late to get studios to make a giant western saga.

I can agree that the timing of the release wasn't ideal. They could've pushed back until Nov. and then have Chapter 2 come out next Feb-March since nothing else of significance comes out in that time frame.

I'm glad they took a chance at releasing this movie in theaters. I still feel like they should release the second one in theaters. If they don't, and they just put it on MAX, whatever. Just need everyone to watch it somehow. I would not be opposed to WB making Costner turn the final Chapters into mini-series events and putting them on MAX. Then after they all air, WB can put together a very nice 4k box set of some sort. :D

Yellowstone and all of it its spin-offs are huge hits for Paramount+. WB should be using that with Costner to finish this saga and getting it on their platform as soon as possible to compete against it. I do think a lot of people waited for it to come to streaming and that's why it's theatrical release didn't go so well. Also, for the fact, like you stated horrible release dates which in turn made it, so the movie was not in any premium screen. Was forced to be in the smaller screens at theaters. I know for me; I won't go to the theater unless I'm going to see it in the premium screen. If the movie gets downgraded to a small screen, I will just wait for the physical release. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis