4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So there's no ghosts or demons in "Hereditary" ?

Because "Sixth Sense" and "The Others" scared the hell of me. :D
Not exactly, it is kind of like Longlegs in that regard, never revealing only hinting and flashing. The level of intensity is higher as it is multiple people though.

The only really scary scene in Longlegs was at her house.

We got our tickets for Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Hollywood in Oct. :p

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Watched the new 4k set When Titans Ruled the Earth- Clash of the Titans and Wrath of the Titans.

PQ- Both looked great. 4k picture was nice on both movies. I thought the set and location details looked very good. The CGI looked a tad soft at times, but nothing terrible.

SQ- Arrow Video decided to keep the 5.1 tracks. I was a little annoyed they didn't give it the atmos upgrade, but overall the 5.1 sounded decent. Wrath of the Titans had a better soundtrack compared to the first one (Clash). The bass was heavier in Wrath as well. Nothing was anywhere near earth shattering, for bass that is. Even with lots of action going on, the bass was just mild overall.

Overall, I'd give the first movie (Clash) 8/10 and Wrath-7/10. Both movies are very short compared to some of the movies we get today. The first one is around 1 hour and 40 mins and the second is 1 hour 30 mins on the dot. The first time I saw Wrath of the Titans I wasn't a huge fan, but after re-watching it in 4k, I don't find it that bad at all. These are fun popcorn flicks. Turn the brain off and just enjoy. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Watched the new 4k set When Titans Ruled the Earth- Clash of the Titans and Wrath of the Titans.

PQ- Both looked great. 4k picture was nice on both movies. I thought the set and location details looked very good. The CGI looked a tad soft at times, but nothing terrible.

SQ- Arrow Video decided to keep the 5.1 tracks. I was a little annoyed they didn't give it the atmos upgrade, but overall the 5.1 sounded decent. Wrath of the Titans had a better soundtrack compared to the first one (Clash). The bass was heavier in Wrath as well. Nothing was anywhere near earth shattering, for bass that is. Even with lots of action going on, the bass was just mild overall.

Overall, I'd give the first movie (Clash) 8/10 and Wrath-7/10. Both movies are very short compared to some of the movies we get today. The first one is around 1 hour and 40 mins and the second is 1 hour 30 mins on the dot. The first time I saw Wrath of the Titans I wasn't a huge fan, but after re-watching it in 4k, I don't find it that bad at all. These are fun popcorn flicks. Turn the brain off and just enjoy. :)
These are my favorite genre, so I give both Clash/Wrath of the Titans a 10/10. :D

Definitely glad to have them in 4K, and too bad they are not ATMOS.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Some of the movies we get today should NOT be 3hrs :D

I saw the original Clash of the Titans in the theater. It was a great movie when I was a teen. Not so much rewatching it, but still a favorite of mine.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Next 4K/ATMOS movie I am waiting for (Sep 10) is Taylor Sheridan’s (written and directed) “Wind River”, which was shot in 3K Digital Arri Alexa.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Just saw "Borderlands".
Off the bat, I will say I'm somewhat of a Borderlands freak....hundreds and hundreds of hours into the games.

I think the harsh critics of this movie were wrong, and I'm usually a harsher critic than most.
It was fine. I really enjoyed it.
It looked like Borderlands brought to life.
I think it should have been "R" rated is the worst thing I can say about it.
It was sure better than the last three Star Wars films that I wanted to turn off after 20 minutes !

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just saw "Borderlands".
Off the bat, I will say I'm somewhat of a Borderlands freak....hundreds and hundreds of hours into the games.

I think the harsh critics of this movie were wrong, and I'm usually a harsher critic than most.
It was fine. I really enjoyed it.
It looked like Borderlands brought to life.
I think it should have been "R" rated is the worst thing I can say about it.
It was sure better than the last three Star Wars films that I wanted to turn off after 20 minutes !
Well, at least it was shot with 6.5K resolution Arri Alexa 65 digital camera. So should look great. Hopefully Atmos sound is good. I’ll give it a try. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Watched Beetlejuice Beetlejuice this weekend. I would give it 7/10 and our family are big fans of the original. It was fun, we liked it because it has the look and feel, but the story was all over the place. The sound was very good with surprisingly active atmos. Where it lets down is too many big actors in it that needed screen time and they oddly spent too much time on a character that was basically removed from the cast. The fact that they basically only mentioned the Maitlands, which the original movie is about, in passing was also odd. Nobody wants to touch Alec Baldwin these days though. The final act totally derailed the move too, like almost doesn't fit the rest of the film. I'd say you can wait for streaming on this one.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wind River 4K ATMOS UHD-BD.

PQ - shot using 3K Arri Alexa Digital cameras, so the PQ is clean. Since the setting is in dismal winter, the colors aren't vibrant at all (compared to something like Bad Boys Ride or Die, which looks extremely colorful). So PQ isn't beautiful looking, but just clean.

SQ. ATMOS is good. I heard thunder and some other sounds OVERHEAD. Plenty of good bass. So not big special sound effects movie, but definitely some good overhead ATMOS sound effects and good bass.

Story/Writing. Written and directed by the master Taylor Sheridan, so it's awesome as expected. Absolutely love the story.

I didn't realize this before, but after rewatching this movie, I just realized that 3 actors in this movie are in Taylor Sheridan's "The Mayor of Kingstown" and 2 actors are in Taylor Sheridan's "Yellowstone".

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis