4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Anyone seeing Alien: Romulus this weekend?
Would love to. Maybe next weekend. It's getting great reviews from critics and users.

Unlike Twisters-2024 (which was shot with Analog 35 mm film), Alien Romulus was shot with 4.6K resolution Arri Alexa Digital Camera. Hopefully awesome Atmos SQ also.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So far, early reviews are very positive. I hear you on that. I don't go to the theater as much, now that I have my own theater at home that sounds better and looks better than my local cinema. I only go for the bigger blockbusters. :D

Enjoy the movie! Let us know what your thoughts are after you see it! :)
I'm definitely NOT going to commercial theaters for their SQ. :D

ONLY reason to go is because I can't wait 3 months or more. Or when I get free tickets. :D

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'm definitely NOT going to commercial theaters for their SQ. :D

ONLY reason to go is because I can't wait 3 months or more. :D
I've only been to the cinema a handful of times the last couple of decades and I see no reason to not continue that trend. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've only been to the cinema a handful of times the last couple of decades and I see no reason to not continue that trend. :)
Same here. Truth be told, the real reason I ever go to commercial theaters is because I got free movie tickets and the wife didn’t want to “waste” the tickets.

Like how they have to buy things because it’s on “sale”. :D

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
So far, early reviews are very positive. I hear you on that. I don't go to the theater as much, now that I have my own theater at home that sounds better and looks better than my local cinema. I only go for the bigger blockbusters. :D

Enjoy the movie! Let us know what your thoughts are after you see it! :)
Saw it at a "XD" theatre in Monroeville, Pa.
Sound and picture was quite good...it looked like a repurposed IMAX screen, nice seats, etc. Very immersive.

Movie itself was very good...very darkly filmed like a lot of movies are nowadays.A few plot points I would like to explore though...like how did this group of youngins' have access to just leave with a cargo ship ?

Nice return to form for the series. It was great to see very little CGI.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Popcorn buckets were sold out yesterday.

The theater we watched it in. You can see the Atmos speakers overhead, aimed toward the audience. This film had a high level of overhead effects IMO, though mainly obvious and very effective during the quiet scenes. I was hoping the story would be a bit more developed, but it was more danger than story. I still really enjoyed it. Solid entry in the series.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Longlegs 4K DDP5.1 Streaming.

Video: Shot in 4.5K resolution with Arri Alexa Digital camera, mastered in 4K digital. Looks good, but nothing stood out.

Audio: Good, but nothing special also. Not a special effects kind of movie. The DDP5.1 didn't draw any attention.

Writing/Plot/Story. Again, it was decent, but nothing great about it in any way. It has a 7/10 IMDb rating, which I think is too high. I rate it 6/10. The movie was kind of short - under 2 hrs, so that was good. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Popcorn buckets were sold out yesterday.

The theater we watched it in. You can see the Atmos speakers overhead, aimed toward the audience. This film had a high level of overhead effects IMO, though mainly obvious and very effective during the quiet scenes. I was hoping the story would be a bit more developed, but it was more danger than story. I still really enjoyed it. Solid entry in the series.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk
I wish I could go to a commercial Atmos movie theater like that with actual overhead speakers.

It's on my bucket list. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Longlegs 4K DDP5.1 Streaming.

Video: Shot in 4.5K resolution with Arri Alexa Digital camera, mastered in 4K digital. Looks good, but nothing stood out.

Audio: Good, but nothing special also. Not a special effects kind of movie. The DDP5.1 didn't draw any attention.

Writing/Plot/Story. Again, it was decent, but nothing great about it in any way. It has a 7/10 IMDb rating, which I think is too high. I rate it 6/10. The movie was kind of short - under 2 hrs, so that was good. :D
I watched this last night too and actually liked it. It is really bizarre. I wouldn't give it a high rating either, but it was more interesting than the average horror movie these days. To me it was Se7en meets Hereditary. It starts out with the tenseness and interesting story, then devolves into the confusing, very odd story like Hereditary.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I watched this last night too and actually liked it. It is really bizarre. I wouldn't give it a high rating either, but it was more interesting than the average horror movie these days. To me it was Se7en meets Hereditary. It starts out with the tenseness and interesting story, then devolves into the confusing, very odd story like Hereditary.
I liked Se7en a lot.

Hereditary is too scary for me, so I didn’t even watch it. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I liked Se7en a lot.

Hereditary is too scary for me, so I didn’t even watch it. :D
Hahaha! you have to watch Hereditary! it's very good.

Speaking of Atmos theaters, doesn't Edmond have Atmos theaters? I would imagine that city would have some decent theaters.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Speaking of Atmos theaters, doesn't Edmond have Atmos theaters? I would imagine that city would have some decent theaters.
Hereditary was good until the last 15 min or so, then it completely went off the rails. I didn't find it too scary. That is kind of how I felt about Longlegs. Good for most of it, but sort went off in an unexpected direction; though it telegraphed part of it pretty hard.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Hereditary was good until the last 15 min or so, then it completely went off the rails. I didn't find it too scary. That is kind of how I felt about Longlegs. Good for most of it, but sort went off in an unexpected direction; though it telegraphed part of it pretty hard.
Haha, I thoroughly enjoyed the final 15-20 mins of Hereditary. I was going to tell Acu that the final 15 mins is the best part of the movie!

Have you seen Midsommar? It's a long movie, but a total build-up type with a crazy ass finish. I enjoyed that movie as well.

I'm interested in watching Longlegs. Hopefully it's on some streaming app by Oct. I try to watch as many horror movies in Oct. as I can. It's my Halloween movie marathon month. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Haha, I thoroughly enjoyed the final 15-20 mins of Hereditary. I was going to tell Acu that the final 15 mins is the best part of the movie!

Have you seen Midsommar? It's a long movie, but a total build-up type with a crazy ass finish. I enjoyed that movie as well.

I'm interested in watching Longlegs. Hopefully it's on some streaming app by Oct. I try to watch as many horror movies in Oct. as I can. It's my Halloween movie marathon month. :D
Midsommar is the same director as Hereditary. I watched it and sort of had the same feeling about it lol. It is pretty out there.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Never watching "Hereditary" since it's too scary. :D

AMC24 movie theater is in Edmond, which is where I watch the movies. It's supposed to be the most advanced commercial theater in Oklahoma metro. It has IMAX + ATMOS. But the ATMOS speakers are NOT in the ceiling - they are just Height speakers on the walls.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I watched Midsommar just fine. No ghosts there.

But I heard "Hereditary" has ghosts or demons, which I can't handle. :D

"Longlegs" isn't even scary at all. I even watched it at night. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I watched Midsommar just fine. No ghosts there.

But I heard "Hereditary" has ghosts or demons, which I can't handle. :D
Same with the little lady. She can handle horror as long as it isn't demons.

"Longlegs" isn't even scary at all. I even watched it at night. :D
Ari Aster seems to go for the unsettling shock value more than traditional "horror". I am OK with the movies, watched Hereditary in the theater but streamed Midsommar on HBO, but they're not something I'll go back and watch again.

If you were OK with Longlegs, you will be OK with Hereditary, though I would say Hereditary is more intense. 2099 will probably be OK with Longlegs too, though it is a slow burn and Cage's unhinged methods suit the character well. The stories are actually kind of similar.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you were OK with Longlegs, you will be OK with Hereditary...
So there's no ghosts or demons in "Hereditary" ? Everyone tells me it's about ghosts.

Because "Sixth Sense" and "The Others" scared the hell of me. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis