4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I didn’t think much of Monkey Man after watching it. :D
Indian John Wick, what's not to like? :D Story was not quite as good. I actually heard they may remake this already due to all the production issues on the first one.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Indian John Wick, what's not to like? :D Story was not quite as good. I actually heard they may remake this already due to all the production issues on the first one.
I don't think "Monkey Man" is anywhere near being like John Wick. :D

Otherwise I would like "Monkey Man", which is an Indian "generic revenge movie". :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think "Monkey Man" is anywhere near being like John Wick. :D

Otherwise I would like "Monkey Man", which is an Indian "generic revenge movie". :D
It is not in the same league as JW, but it was OK. It dragged a lot in the middle before it got to the point. I don't think it met Dev's original vision, which may be why they want to redo it completely. It seemed to have a lot of missed potential. It is maybe more "the crow" than JW, but JW is pretty much just a revenge flick series too :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It is not in the same league as JW, but it was OK. It dragged a lot in the middle before it got to the point. I don't think it met Dev's original vision, which may be why they want to redo it completely. It seemed to have a lot of missed potential. It is maybe more "the crow" than JW, but JW is pretty much just a revenge flick series too :D
A lot of good movies are “revenge” movies, including “The Beekeeper”, which I love. So it’s not about that topic.

It’s how the movie was written and directed.

So when I say that “Monkey Man” isn’t in the same league, I mean the writing/directing isn’t in the same league, not the topic.

Unless the writing/directing is a lot better, the remake would still be just as mediocre.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A lot of good movies are “revenge” movies, including “The Beekeeper”, which I love. So it’s not about that topic.

It’s how the movie was written and directed.

So when I say that “Monkey Man” isn’t in the same league, I mean the writing/directing isn’t in the same league, not the topic.

Unless the writing/directing is a lot better, the remake would still be just as mediocre.
They're all fundamentally remakes of count of monte Cristo lol.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Convert 2023 (Guy Pearce).

PQ: Beautiful cinematography. I heard the movie was shot using 4K digital camera - shot in New Zealand. I don't know which 4K digital camera, but the PQ looks great.

SQ. Sounds good, but not a special sound effects movie. I was too involved in the movie to even notice the SQ. I guess the speakers just "disappeared". :D

Story/Writing/Plot. I like the movie a lot. Definitely one of the better movies out there IMO. I hope it will be released on 4K UHD ATMOS.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I saw an article from one of the not-so-loved (What HiFi) sites that mentioned one of the best Atmos movies was Deepwater Horizon, the story of BP incompetence resulting in the failure of an oil rig. I am checking it out on streaming, it does seem to have well done audio. The article did mention if you want to hear it at its best, get the 4K disc.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw an article from one of the not-so-loved (What HiFi) sites that mentioned one of the best Atmos movies was Deepwater Horizon, the story of BP incompetence resulting in the failure of an oil rig. I am checking it out on streaming, it does seem to have well done audio. The article did mention if you want to hear it at its best, get the 4K disc.

I think I have Deepwater Horizon on 4K ATMOS. Have to watch it again since I don't recall it having great Overhead sound effects. Unless the "ATMOS" they are talking about is regarding the NON-overhead effects like with the new Dune movies.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think I have Deepwater Horizon on 4K ATMOS. Have to watch it again since I don't recall it having great Overhead sound effects. Unless the "ATMOS" they are talking about is regarding the NON-overhead effects like with the new Dune movies.
Just to remind you, Atmos is more than overhead sounds. It’s objects on XYZ planes.
Deep water horizon does have an exemplary soundtrack, although I’ve only watched it on my BD version. Can’t say how the streamed versions compare. Usually not as good…

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The article specifically stated that movement around the space and 3D placement of sound was very good. He compared the streamed to the disc and said get the disc if you're interested in the sound.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The article specifically stated that movement around the space and 3D placement of sound was very good. He compared the streamed to the disc and said get the disc if you're interested in the sound.
That was my experience as well. I enjoyed this movie a lot.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just to remind you, Atmos is more than overhead sounds. It’s objects on XYZ planes.
Deep water horizon does have an exemplary soundtrack, although I’ve only watched it on my BD version. Can’t say how the streamed versions compare. Usually not as good…
Yes I am well aware of that.

But if there is supposed to be sound coming from above (Jets or helicopters or whatever) and you don't hear anything above, then the fact is that it's not doing a good job.

If the sound is supposed to come from ABOVE and you can only hear sound from the sides, that is not accurate.

In real life when jets or helicopters fly above me, I will hear them above my head.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Horizon Chapter 1, 4K ATMOS.

PQ - excellent. Shot using 6K-8K digital cameras, mastered in 4K digital. Very beautiful looking movie.
SQ - I heard some good overhead sound effects. Overall pretty good SQ.

Writing/Story - I thought it was terrible. :D

I like Kevin Costner - he's among my favorite actors. I love most of his movies and especially Yellowstone. But man, I thought the writing/story of "Horizon Chapter 1" was just horrible. It was so unfocused. It must be terrible writing. Costner did a great job directing Dances with Wolves, so he must be a good director. So I assume "Horizon" just has terrible writing. 3+ hours of a huge mess to me. Curious to see what everyone else thinks. :D

I was thinking that if I were taking a change and used my own money to make a movie, I would hire the best screenwriter money I can afford. Writing is so important if not salient. Instead, he used somebody that has not much writing credits at all. Such a bad decision. Should have hired Taylor Sheridan or another great writer.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Horizon Chapter 1, 4K ATMOS.

PQ - excellent. Shot using 6K-8K digital cameras, mastered in 4K digital. Very beautiful looking movie.
SQ - I heard some good overhead sound effects. Overall pretty good SQ.

Writing/Story - I thought it was terrible. :D

I like Kevin Costner - he's among my favorite actors. I love most of his movies and especially Yellowstone. But man, I thought the writing/story of "Horizon Chapter 1" was just horrible. It was so unfocused. It must be terrible writing. Costner did a great job directing Dances with Wolves, so he must be a good director. So I assume "Horizon" just has terrible writing. 3+ hours of a huge mess to me. Curious to see what everyone else thinks. :D

I was thinking that if I were taking a change and used my own money to make a movie, I would hire the best screenwriter money I can afford. Writing is so important if not salient. Instead, he used somebody that has not much writing credits at all. Such a bad decision. Should have hired Taylor Sheridan or another great writer.
That explains the massive flop at the box office.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The new Romulus trailer looks GOOD

Has been a busy few weeks and Sat we will be busy all day working a local dog show charity event for our local shelter. So we bought tix to see Twisters in Dolby Cinema on Sunday. I don't have high expectations for it, but if I'm gonna see a movie like that, I want the good sound and screen lol.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The new Romulus trailer looks GOOD
Alien Romulus 2024 - Shot with Arri Alexa 4.6K Resolution Digital IMAX Camera, mastered in 4K Digital. Written by a guy who wrote "Don't Breathe" and "Don't Breathe 2".

Oh, I just realized that Cailee Spaeny stars in Alien Romulus - she also in Priscilla, Bad Times at the El Royale, On the Basis of Sex, and Civil War.

I'm in ! :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So we bought tix to see Twisters in Dolby Cinema on Sunday. I don't have high expectations for it, but if I'm gonna see a movie like that, I want the good sound and screen lol.
Twisters 2024.

Story by Joseph Kosinski (TRON Legacy, Top Gun Maverick).

Screenplay by the guy who wrote the screenplay for The Revenant, which won Best Picture of the year. He also wrote "Overlord 2018", which I like a lot.

Unfortunately it was shot using analog 35 mm films. :D So after they shot Twisters 2024 with ANALOG films, they transferred it to 4K DIGITAL master ANYWAY. :D

I'm in! :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis