4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Yeah I was referring to the Overhead-Atmos sound.

I can count a lot more than 20 movies with GREAT Overhead-ATMOS soundtracks that are easily heard and not subtle at all. Dune-2 is NOT one of them.

If you watch "Civil War", check out those scenes that I noted. I guarantee you - the Overhead-ATMOS sounds are NOT SUBTLE at all - they are IN YOUR FACE. :D

Civil War 2024 8K Atmos
Godzilla Minus One 2023 6K Sony Venice Atmos
Twister 1996 Atmos
Leave the World Behind 2023 6K Sony Venice Atmos
Dungeons & Dragons 2023 4.5K Atmos
Transformers Rise of the Beast 2023 4.5K Atmos
Moonfall 2022 8K Red Monstro Atmos
65 2023 4K Atmos
Ant-Man Quantumania 2023 Atmos
The Batman 2022 4K Atmos
13 Hours 2016 4K Atmos
2012 2009 4K Atmos
Alita Battle Angel 2019 4K Atmos
Another Life 2019 4K Atmos (Netflix TV series)
Atomic Blonde 2017 4K DTSX
Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition 4K Atmos
Blade Runner 2049 2017 4K Atmos
Blade Runner 1982 4K Atmos
Black Hawk Down 2001 4K Atmos
Cloverfield Paradox 2018 Atmos
Dredd 2012 4K Atmos
The Equalizer 2014 4K Atmos
Godzilla 2014 4K Atmos
Godzilla King of the Monsters 2019 4K Atmos
Gravity 2013 Atmos
The Great Wall 2016 4K Atmos
Harry Potter franchise (8 movies) 2001-2011 4K DTSX
Hunter Killer 2018 4K Atmos
Jupiter Ascending 4K Atmos
Jurassic World 4K DTSX
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom 4K DTSX
Kong Skull Island 2017 4K Atmos
Lucy 2014 4K Atmos
The Matrix Trilogy 1999, 2003, 2003 4K Atmos
Oblivion 2013 4K Atmos
Pacific Rim 2013 4K Atmos
Pet Sematary (2019) 4K Atmos
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies 2016 4K Atmos
Ready Player One 2018 Atmos
Robin Hood 2018 Atmos
Salt 2010 4K Atmos
Sully 2016 4K Atmos
Terminator Genisys 4K Atmos
Twilight 2008 4K Atmos
Underworld 2003 4K Atmos
Underworld Blood Wars 2016 4K Atmos
X-Men Dark Phoenix 2019 4K Atmos
Edge of Tomorrow 2014 4K Atmos
Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City 2021 4K Atmos
POTC Dead Men Tell No Tales 2017 4K Atmos
Eternals 2021 4.5K Arri Alexa Atmos
Lost in Space 2018 TV Series
Spider-Man 2 2004
Spider-Man 3 2007
The Amazing Spider-Man 2012
Doctor Strange-2 2022
Man of Steel 2013
The Dark Tower 2017
I find it interest that your list has so many DTS-X titles on it, specifically the Jurassic Parks and Atomic Blonde.

When I was testing my heights, I didn't think DTS-X was even working when I played them. It was, but those titles only put very specific noises in the heights, rather than more constant atmospheric sound typical in a lot of Atmos mixes. It was clearly a mixing choice, but given the lack of activity up top, I wouldn't have expected to see them on the list - maybe I just didn't sample enough when listening overtly.

Everest would be a good addition to your list as well. Give it a watch if you haven't.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I find it interest that your list has so many DTS-X titles on it, specifically the Jurassic Parks and Atomic Blonde.

When I was testing my heights, I didn't think DTS-X was even working when I played them. It was, but those titles only put very specific noises in the heights, rather than more constant atmospheric sound typical in a lot of Atmos mixes. It was clearly a mixing choice, but given the lack of activity up top, I wouldn't have expected to see them on the list - maybe I just didn't sample enough when listening overtly.

Everest would be a good addition to your list as well. Give it a watch if you haven't.
The movies on my list have significant Overhead sound effects. As far as immersive sound effects, any good discrete DTS/DD soundtrack can have immersive surround effects that makes you feel like you are right in the middle of the action.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Godzilla Minus One AND Minus Color are available on Amazon Prime and Apple TV (buy or rent). It is apparently available on Netflix outside of the US, no ETA for when it will release in the US.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Godzilla Minus One AND Minus Color are available on Amazon Prime and Apple TV (buy or rent). It is apparently available on Netflix outside of the US, no ETA for when it will release in the US.
Watched Godzilla Minus One on Netflix last night.

I'm giving it a solid 9/10 rating. PQ/SQ were great for streaming. The Netflix version is 4k with a 5.1 sound mix. If you're a fan of the old Godzilla movies, this will be perfect for you. I've personally never watched the really old Godzilla movies. Just seen clips of them over the last 30+ years. The CGI looked better in this movie than it did on the $170 million Furiosa movie! I believe the budget for this movie was between $15-$20 million.

Not sure when this movie will hit actual 4k disc release in the US. Hopefully soon. In the meantime, hit up Netflix and watch this ASAP! :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

I'm giving it a solid 9/10 rating. PQ/SQ were great for streaming. The Netflix version is 4k with a 5.1 sound mix. If you're a fan of the old Godzilla movies, this will be perfect for you. I've personally never watched the really old Godzilla movies. Just seen clips of them over the last 30+ years. The CGI looked better in this movie than it did on the $170 million Furiosa movie! I believe the budget for this movie was between $15-$20 million.

Not sure when this movie will hit actual 4k disc release in the US. Hopefully soon. In the meantime, hit up Netflix and watch this ASAP! :D
The studio reported no plans for a US 4k release so far. As of now, it will only be released on BD in 1080. My guess is they'll wait until close to the holidays for the 4k.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Oh, so Netflix didn’t offer ATMOS for this movie?

For ATMOS version, right off the bat you will get the kamikaze plane flying overhead very distinctly. Very active ATMOS overhead surround sound.

By far GMO is the best Godzilla movie to date. The reason is because it’s a drama movie about PEOPLE, and Godzilla is just the big icing on the cake.

All the other Godzilla and Kong movies are mainly about the monsters.

So my wife hates every Godzilla and Kong movie. But she absolutely loved GMO.

They are selling the GMO Japanese 4K UHD Disc on eBay. The US version will probably be the same.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

For ATMOS version, right off the bat you will get the kamikaze plane flying overhead very distinctly. Very active ATMOS overhead surround sound.

By far GMO is the best Godzilla movie to date. The reason is because it’s a drama movie about PEOPLE, and Godzilla is just the big icing on the cake.

They are selling the GMO Japanese 4K UHD Disc on eBay. The US version will probably be the same.
Sorry, forgot to edit my post. Yes, it was in Atmos. My processor said Atmos but Netflix said 5.1. Just checked it and now and Netflix says Dolby Atmos.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
F#%kin’ great movie! Netflix Japanese track is in Dolby Atmos, English track is 5.1.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

LOL, when we watched it in the theater, after the first scene, it was a while before you see him again. I was thinking "for a Godzilla movie, there isn't a lot of Godzilla in it", but then there is. It was great because of exactly what you said: there is a story first, that happens to be affected by the fact that Godzilla is around. I would say in every other Godzilla movie, I didn't care about any of the characters and what they said did not matter unless it related to Godzilla. In this one, you get involved in the character's story.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
LOL, when we watched it in the theater, after the first scene, it was a while before you see him again. I was thinking "for a Godzilla movie, there isn't a lot of Godzilla in it", but then there is. It was great because of exactly what you said: there is a story first, that happens to be affected by the fact that Godzilla is around. I would say in every other Godzilla movie, I didn't care about any of the characters and what they said did not matter unless it related to Godzilla. In this one, you get involved in the character's story.
Yeah all the other Godzilla movies basically have no real story other than Godzilla kicks a$$. :D

Like in "Godzilla x Kong", I just fast forward to the monster fighting scenes. :D

They can pretty much make an apocalyptic movie where we see Godzilla kicks a$$ from beginning to end and call it a day. :D

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
This one did have an actual story and heart but did borrow from other famous monster movies. How could it not be influenced by others? I was on the edge of my seat at one point waiting for somebody to say "You're gonna' need a bigger boat." "Jaws" was similar in that well written characters dealing with real world problems suddenly had to contend with an enormous and terrifying threat.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah all the other Godzilla movies basically have no real story other than Godzilla kicks a$$. :D

Like in "Godzilla x Kong", I just fast forward to the monster fighting scenes. :D

They can pretty much make an apocalyptic movie where we see Godzilla kicks a$$ from beginning to end and call it a day. :D
We watched Godzilla X Kong about 2 weeks ago. Typical fare. One of the reviews I read summed it up well: "Story extraneous; this is the WWE of Monster movies" :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis