4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am rewatching Avatar 2 with my wife. This time I increased the volume by 9dB.

The ATMOS ceiling effects do seem better. One scene where one of the ships landed on Pandora was very good. There are other scenes where the overhead sound were also very good.

But there are also other overhead scenes where I could hear the ATMOS sounds from the ceiling, but just not as loud as I want. They should increase the levels more for those scenes. So maybe inconsistent.

So……. After increasing the volume by 9dB (instead of 8dB), and also paying more attention to the ATMOS effects (I was paying more attention to the PQ and to the story itself the 1st time around), I did hear a lot more ATMOS effects. IMO Some of the ATMOS effects should have been increased by the mixer a little more, but maybe they wanted to be more subtle on those particular scenes.

But overall, I do think the ATMOS soundtrack of Avatar2 deserves to be in the Reference List. :D

Maybe when the BD comes out, I’ll increase the volume by 10dB. ;) :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Here’s some fun!
Yeah, I don’t feel like watching a 1hr+ video. :D

Did you?

All I know is that I had to crank the master volume by 9dB, next time will be 10dB. :D

A lot of these ATMOS effects is about being able to hear the sound from the SMALL ceiling speakers, which are competing with the big bad subwoofers and all the big bad bed layer towers of power.

So if they don’t mix enough volume level to those ceiling speakers, that’s a problem.

Overall, Avatar 2 ATMOS is very good, but could use a bump in the ceiling speaker sound level.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, I don’t feel like watching a 1hr+ video. :D

Did you?

All I know is that I had to crank the master volume by 9dB, next time will be 10dB. :D

A lot of these ATMOS effects is about being able to hear the sound from the SMALL ceiling speakers, which are competing with the big bad subwoofers and all the big bad bed layer towers of power.

So if they don’t mix enough volume level to those ceiling speakers, that’s a problem.

Overall, Avatar 2 ATMOS is very good, but could use a bump in the ceiling speaker sound level.
No I didn’t watch the whole thing, but I did start it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
As a MOVIE, I found Avatar 2 very similar to the last one. Visually very good looking. Story = long, not too interesting and very much telegraphs every step that is going to happen.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I watched the streaming version of the movie "65" in 4K/ATMOS.

PQ: Shot with the 6K Rez Sony Venice, PQ is excellent. What we expect from all these digital cameras.

SQ: I am giving this movie a "Reference ATMOST quality". Very active and not subtle. I don't think it's as awesome as the ATMOS in "Moonfall", but still excellent.

Story: About as dumb as "A Quiet Place 1 & 2" because it was written by the same guy. Oh, man after he wrote this movie, he also directed it. Yikes. :D

There are a lot of Face-Palm moments like there are in "A Quiet Place 1 & 2".

The IMDb rating is currently "5.5" and will probably go down even more later.

But, because the REAL stars of the movie are the dinosaurs, I can forgive the dumb writing and just watch the dinosaurs and the great ATMOS sound effects.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was interested in 65 and then I saw the reviews lol.
Just watch "65" for the 4K video, ATMOS sound, and all the great dinosaurs. Forget the story. Expect the worst and don't have any great expectations. :D

I read the budget of "65" was $90 million. It has made only $55 million worldwide so far and probably won't make much more after all the bad reviews.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
5.5 is better than when I looked the first week. It was 33% on RT.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Finally got the rear heights setup. Rewatched dogfight scenes in Top Gun Maverick and they do sound a lot better with the rears. We fully watched Dune and enjoyed it immensely.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just saw Ant-man Quantumania in 4K ATMOS streaming.

PQ: superb PQ. Shot using the 4.5K-rez Arri Alexa digital camera. Very beautiful looking.

SQ: Excellent ATMOS effects throughout and Bass. I just added dual PerListen D15s subs and the bass sounds absolutely amazing.

Movie: I enjoyed this movie a lot. The ATMOS and bass helped, but I liked the story/writing/directing.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just watched “Dungeons & Dragons 2023” in 4K/ATMOS streaming.

PQ: Excellent as expected from the 4.5K Arri Alexa digital camera.

SQ: Reference quality - among the best I’ve seen. I could tell the sound mixer loves ATMOS. Among the best ATMOS soundtracks I’ve heard, if not the best to date. And the bass fantastic also. So awesome bass and completely awesome ATMOS effects.

Story/Writing: I love it. It is a fun fun movie.

Paramount did a super job here. Great movie, great PQ, probably the best ATMOS I’ve heard.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Will have to check D&D out. It was getting pretty good reviews.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw Top Gun Maverick again, but this time on the 4K Blu-Ray format, instead of web-streaming format.

The SQ is subjectively much better. It seems I can hear more overhead effects and I also don't have to crank up the volume at all. In contrast, I had to crank up the volume on the 4K streaming version by a lot.
After getting new components (like subs), it’s only natural we tend to re-watch (and listen) old contents.

So I saw TG Maverick again last night. Holy smokes, I knew the ATMOS sound is much better than the streaming version. But also the bass is insane with those jets. Definitely puts a huge smile on my face. :D

And I didn’t have to increase the volume at all.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Transformers Rise of the Beasts 2023.

Video: Excellent. As expected from 4.5K resolution digital Arri Alexa camera.

Audio: Bass is excellent. Some good ATMOS effects, but not reference quality.

Movie/Story/Writing: Extremely stupid writing. :D

I read some user reviews saying that this movie is much better than the previous Transformers movies. Not. It’s just as stupid as the rest of them.

The ONLY reason to watch is for the super cool Transformer robots. Only reason. :D

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
I just watched “Dungeons & Dragons 2023” in 4K/ATMOS streaming.

PQ: Excellent as expected from the 4.5K Arri Alexa digital camera.

SQ: Reference quality - among the best I’ve seen. I could tell the sound mixer loves ATMOS. Among the best ATMOS soundtracks I’ve heard, if not the best to date. And the bass fantastic also. So awesome bass and completely awesome ATMOS effects.

Story/Writing: I love it. It is a fun fun movie.

Paramount did a super job here. Great movie, great PQ, probably the best ATMOS I’ve heard.
Somehow, I missed this post. I'll have to check this one out now.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Saw Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Pt 1 yesterday.

Solid 9/10. Nuff said. Won't say anything more. GO SEE IT!

My theater experience (sound and picture) were alright. I feel that the sound is way better than what I heard. Same with picture. I feel once I own and rewatch it in my own theater the sound and picture are going to be way better. They aren't cranking the sound and bass with things in my theater, and you can easily tell things are toned down when they should be loud and booming. Knowing Paramount releases very good sound and bass tracks, I feel the physical release is going to be top notch.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Saw Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Pt 1 yesterday.

Solid 9/10. Nuff said. Won't say anything more. GO SEE IT!

My theater experience (sound and picture) were alright. I feel that the sound is way better than what I heard. Same with picture. I feel once I own and rewatch it in my own theater the sound and picture are going to be way better. They aren't cranking the sound and bass with things in my theater, and you can easily tell things are toned down when they should be loud and booming. Knowing Paramount releases very good sound and bass tracks, I feel the physical release is going to be top notch.
MI Fallout 2018 had awesome Video, ATMOS, and bass quality.

So I expect Dead Reckoning to be just as great in all areas (6K Sony Venice IMAX digital camera).

Tom Cruise has a knack for teaming up with great writers and directors.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
MI Fallout 2018 had awesome Video, ATMOS, and bass quality.

So I expect Dead Reckoning to be just as great in all areas (6K Sony Venice IMAX digital camera).

Tom Cruise has a knack for teaming up with great writers and directors.
Fallout was amazing! Love that movie. Picture and sound were top notch.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Well, it's official. The Abyss is coming to 4k. Will be out in the coming months. That is some great 4k news!

If you're fan of Titanic, that is coming out on 4k this Dec. That should look really good on 4k and hopefully have a great Atmos track.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis