4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think we need a thread specifically talking about contents that were shot using 4K - 8K Digital Cameras. :D

Even if you don't believe 4K - 8K TV/PJ have better PQ, I think most people believe it's important to have the original master copy in the best quality possible.

Now if the contents were shot using 4K-8K digital cameras and have Dolby Atmos or DTSX sound (either in theaters or on BD), that's even better. :D

So first on my list is the new movie called "The Hunt 2020", which was shot using the Sony Venice 6K Digital Camera.

Currently there is only a 2K/DTS-HD MA BD. But hopefully a 4K/Atmos or DTSX BD will be made also.

As expected, the PQ of this movie is among the best of them. Why aren't all movies shot using 8K, 6K, or at least 4K Digital Cameras? :D

The SQ is also very good, but it's only "DTS-HD MA" for now. :D

The premise of this movie is kind of simple - some strangers wake up somewhere in the world and they are being hunted/killed off.

It does have some politics in it - rich vs poor, educated vs uneducated, whites vs minorities.

I think this movie is very unpredictable. I liked it a lot. I loved the way it ended. And I definitely want to see it again in 4K with hopefully Atmos or DTSX. :D

Oh, and it definitely never hurts when your Protagonist looks like this (Betty Gilpin). :D

If you want to see her kick some serious a$$, watch this movie. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Here's my list of the 4K - 8K contents:

8K Digital Cameras
Greyhound 2020 8K (Panavision DXL2)
Bloodshot 2020 8K (Panavision DXL2)
The New Mutants 2020 8K (Panavision DXL2)
Captain Marvel 2019 Atmos 8K
Guardians of Galaxy Vol. 2 2017 Atmos 8K
Midway 2019 Atmos 8K
Maleficent Mistress of Evil 2019 Atmos 8K
Mission Impossible Fallout 2018 Atmos 8K
Mortal Engines 2018 8K
Our Planet 2019 8K Red Helium Atmos
Seven Words One Planet 2019 8K Red Helium

6-8K Digital Cameras
The Hunt 2020 6K Sony Venice Digital Camera
Snowpiercer 2020 TV series 6K Red Epic Dragon
13 Hours 2016 Atmos 6K
Avengers Infinity War 2018 Atmos 6.5K-8K
Avengers Endgame 2019 6.5K Arri Alexa 65
Black Widow 2020 6K Sony CineAlta Venice
Blue Planet II 2017 6K Red Epic Dragon
Doctor Sleep 2019 6.5K Arri Alexa 65 Atmos
Dynasties 2018 4K-8K Arri Amira, Red Helium
Eternals 2020 6.5K Arri Alexa 65
Godzilla vs. Kong 2020 6.5K Arri Alexa 65
Joker 2019 6.5K Arri Alexa 65
The King 2019 6.5K Arri Alexa 65
Mechanic Resurrection 2016 6K Red Epic Dragon
Morbius 2020 6.5K-8K Arri Alexa 65/ DXL2
Mulan 2020 4.5K-6.5K Arri Alexa 65
Planet Earth II 2016 6K Red Epic Dragon
Rogue One 2016 6.5K Arri Alexa 65
Thor Ragnarok 2017 Atmos 4K-6.5K
Top Gun Maverick 2020 6K Sony CineAlta Venice
Transformers Last Knight 2017 Atmos 6.5K-8K
Underwater 2020 6.5K Arri Alexa 65
Underworld Blood Wars 2016 6K Red W. Dragon
Venom-2 2020 Atmos 6.5K Arri Alexa 65
War for Planet of the Apes 2017 6.5K A.Alexa 65
X-Men Apocalypse 2016 Atmos 6K

4-5K Digital Cameras
1917 (2019) Atmos 4.5K Arri Alexa
The Amazing Spider-Man 2012 Atmos 5K
Dune 2020 4.5K Arri Alexa
Emma 2020 4.5K Arri Alexa
Ford v Ferrari 2019 Atmos 4.5K Arri Alexa
The Invisible Man 2020 4.5K
Prometheus 2012 DTS-HDMA 5K
Shadow 2018 Atmos 5K
Terminator Dark Fate 2019 4.5K

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Snowpiercer 2020 TV series 6K Red Epic Dragon/Atmos

Last night I watched S01E06.

PQ is of course, awesome thanks to the 6K Red Epic Dragon digital camera.

SQ is very good. The Atmos sound effect was probably the most active it has been thus far. I could hear sounds (some echos, but mainly voices from Intercoms) from the overhead LEFT speakers, then overhead RIGHT speakers, then back to LEFT and then both LEFT and RIGHT overhead.

The story was by far the most exciting this season from beginning to end of episode. Quite a rush and edge of your seat action.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Snowpiercer S01E07 4K/Atmos (6K camera).

Episode 7 feels like it has crossed the point of no return.

Episode 6 is very intense, and episode 7 does not let up at all - just keeps getting deeper and darker.

Video - awesome
Atmos - good, some echoes overhead, great voices on intercom.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Snowpiercer S01E08 4K/Atmos (6K camera).

Wow. Extremely intense and way beyond the point of no return. It seems like the entire E08 was “on the edge of your seat”.

I was too busy trying to catch my breath and heartbeat to pay any attention to the Atmos sound. :D

Getting close to season finale - 2 more episodes. They have renewed season 02.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Greyhound with Tom Hanks drops on Apple TV+ today. Will be checking that out tonight. Looks pretty good.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw Greyhound 4K/Atmos.

The Picture Quality is top notch (shot with 8K Panavision DXL2 digital camera).

The overall Sound Quality is pretty good, but I don't think the Atmos overhead effect is great.

The story is exciting enough. It's kind of short - I think about 1.5 hours long. Not much room for character development - nothing like "Saving Private Ryan". I think about 95% of the movie is at sea in battle vs the Nazi U-boats - the "Grey Wolf".

So it's "Greyhound" vs "Grey Wolf". We already know who won before watching the movie. :D

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I saw Greyhound 4K/Atmos.

The Picture Quality is top notch (shot with 8K Panavision DXL2 digital camera).

The overall Sound Quality is pretty good, but I don't think the Atmos overhead effect is great.

The story is exciting enough. It's kind of short - I think about 1.5 hours long. Not much room for character development - nothing like "Saving Private Ryan". I think about 95% of the movie is at sea in battle vs the Nazi U-boats - the "Grey Wolf".

So it's "Greyhound" vs "Grey Wolf". We already know who won before watching the movie. :D
Movie was pretty good. I'd rate it a 8/10. I agree, it's got nothing on Saving Private Ryan, but it was fun and entertaining and Tom Hanks always gives a great performance. I do wish it was at least 20 or so minutes longer. They could've easily included more backstory. They didn't need to have Elizabeth Shue at all. All her 2 mins of screen time....

Personally, I would not have gone to the theater to see this movie. Enjoying in my own home theater was just perfect for me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Movie was pretty good. I'd rate it a 8/10. I agree, it's got nothing on Saving Private Ryan, but it was fun and entertaining and Tom Hanks always gives a great performance. I do wish it was at least 20 or so minutes longer. They could've easily included more backstory. They didn't need to have Elizabeth Shue at all. All her 2 mins of screen time....

Personally, I would not have gone to the theater to see this movie. Enjoying in my own home theater was just perfect for me.
Yeah, I thought the battle scenes at sea against the Grey Wolf were exciting.

But that 2-min slow scene with Elizabeth Shue was lame. She basically turned him down, didn't she? Haha. :D Like getting turned down is going to make me feel GREAT before heading out to battle. Lame. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like the new Netflix series "Cursed" was also shot with a 6K Resolution Digital Camera - the SONY CineAlta Venice 6K digital camera.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Movie was pretty good. I'd rate it a 8/10. I agree, it's got nothing on Saving Private Ryan, but it was fun and entertaining and Tom Hanks always gives a great performance.
Really though, does ANY WWII movie compare to Saving Private Ryan? There are obviously a large amount of excellent movies/tv shows on the subject, but that one just set the standard for me.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Really though, does ANY WWII movie compare to Saving Private Ryan? There are obviously a large amount of excellent movies/tv shows on the subject, but that one just set the standard for me.
As far as realistic WW2 movies, the tops for me are Saving Private Ryan and Schindlers List. Other great war movies being Dunkirk, The Thin Red Line, Fury, They shall not grow old. Just to name a few. Black Hawk Down was very good. Though not a "war" movie. Hacksaw Ridge and 1917 were both really good too. I've always liked Enemy at the Gates. A WW2 movie based on top snipers from Russian and German sides. I know it's not a top war movie, but it was fun and entertaining and had some top billed actors/actresses in it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
As far as realistic WW2 movies, the tops for me are Saving Private Ryan and Schindlers List. Other great war movies being Dunkirk, The Thin Red Line, Fury, They shall not grow old. Just to name a few. Black Hawk Down was very good. Though not a "war" movie. Hacksaw Ridge and 1917 were both really good too. I've always liked Enemy at the Gates. A WW2 movie based on top snipers from Russian and German sides. I know it's not a top war movie, but it was fun and entertaining and had some top billed actors/actresses in it.
Enemy at the gates was excellent, and I agree about all the others. Believe it or not I haven't seen Shindlers List. I need to make a point to watch that one.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Snowpiercer 2020 TV series 6K Red Epic Dragon/Atmos Sound. S01 E09 & E10.

The final 2 episodes of season 1 are extremely exciting, continuing the edge-of-your-seat pace of the previous episodes. We get a resolution to the bloody climax, which leads to the cliffhanger season finale.

I think Jennifer Connelly deserves an Emmy award for best lead actress in a TV Drama.

Picture quality is great as usual.

Atmos sound quality might be a little more active in the season finale.

Overall I think the entire season of Snowpiercer is seriously awesome.

I look forward with great anticipation to S02 of Snowpiercer. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
You should check out the specs for the new 4k release of Midsommar. I heard it was shot in 8k!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You should check out the specs for the new 4k release of Midsommar. I heard it was shot in 8k!
You're right. "Midsommar" was shot with the Panavision DXL2 8K camera. I did watch it in 4K.

Too bad it's not the kind of movie I would watch again.

But kudos to the film maker of Midsommar for using the DXL2, unlike Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker, which was shot using the lowly Panavision XL2 35mm analog camera.

My favorite movie of all times "Edge of Tomorrow" (aka Live Die Repeat), which I've already watched 100 times, was also shot with a lowly 35mm analog camera. :mad:

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
You're right. "Midsommar" was shot with the Panavision DXL2 8K camera. I did watch it in 4K.

Too bad it's not the kind of movie I would watch again.

But kudos to the film maker of Midsommar for using the DXL2, unlike Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker, which was shot using the lowly Panavision XL2 35mm analog camera.

My favorite movie of all times "Edge of Tomorrow", which I've already watched 100 times, was also shot with a lowly 35mm analog camera. :mad:
One of my favorite movies of all times, Live, Die, Repeat. It's about this Captain in American army keeps dying he comes back to life. Star is Tom Cruise, and it's got these Monsters that are real nasty! It's a bit funny
Not his best movie. From my understanding this 4K 8K thing is you still gotta be sitting in the so called "Sweet Spot" In order to tell a difference with your eyes. According to the experts sitting outside the sweet spot your just as well stay with 1080P/i.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
One of my favorite movies of all times, Live, Die, Repeat. It's about this Captain in American army keeps dying he comes back to life. Star is Tom Cruise, and it's got these Monsters that are real nasty! It's a bit funny
Not his best movie. From my understanding this 4K 8K thing is you still gotta be sitting in the so called "Sweet Spot" In order to tell a difference with your eyes. According to the experts sitting outside the sweet spot your just as well stay with 1080P/i.
"Live, Die, Repeat" is the same movie as "Edge of Tomorrow". Tom Cruise is a Major and Emily Blunt is a Sergeant. I love this movie and it is my #1 movie of all times. It has a IMDB rating of 7.9, which is pretty high for a SciFi movie. Probably Tom Cruise's highest rated movie. :D

For me, 4K-8K resolution digital cameras might be video "overkill", but no different than guys wanting THD+N of 0.0002% and SINAD of 101dB in audio. :D

But at least with 4-8K digital cameras, we know that the movies were shot and MASTERED using the best quality cameras to get the best picture quality, even if we can't tell the difference between 2K vs 4K vs 8K because of the viewing distance or screen size.

I think 4K-8K mainly benefits people with 4K-8K Projectors and screen sizes of 160-200". :D

But at least I know the ORIGINAL movie was shot using the best PQ and the digital Master is going to look awesome even 20 years from now.

But I think my point might be that DIGITAL HD cameras should be used on ALL videos. They don't have to be 4-8K. They could be 2.8K, like the Arri Alexa 2.8K digital cameras that are being used in a lot of movies.

These HD digital cameras have been around since 2009 (Avatar) and 2010 (TRON Legacy). Picture quality is awesome. So there is no excuse not to use them, except maybe some people will say they prefer the "look and feel of ANALOG films", like some people say they prefer VINYL, instead of the highest quality audio formats.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
"Live, Die, Repeat" is the same movie as "Edge of Tomorrow". Tom Cruise is a Major and Emily Blunt is a Sergeant. I love this movie and it is my #1 movie of all times. It has a IMDB rating of 7.9, which is pretty high for a SciFi movie. Probably Tom Cruise's highest rated movie. :D

For me, 4K-8K resolution digital cameras might be video "overkill", but no different than guys wanting THD+N of 0.0002% and SINAD of 101dB in audio. :D

But at least with 4-8K digital cameras, we know that the movies were shot and MASTERED using the best quality cameras to get the best picture quality, even if we can't tell the difference between 2K vs 4K vs 8K because of the viewing distance or screen size.

I think 4K-8K mainly benefits people with 4K-8K Projectors and screen sizes of 160-200". :D

But at least I know the ORIGINAL movie was shot using the best PQ and the digital Master is going to look awesome even 20 years from now.
:p;), Yeah both the same movie, Your are correct the Experts recommend biggest screen you can get to enjoy 4K, 8K.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis