4 uls-15 mk2’s vs 4 pb-2000’s

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Do you put your mic in your seat on a tripod or just in front of your seat when you measure?
I put it on a tripod and then move it to the assigned positions Audyssey tells me to

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yea dude I can turn it off after, which on mine it’s a through option which I assume that no eq is added but does keep everything else set like distance n levels
Yeah from what I understand turning it off removes its as which can do in some rooms more problems then good. In my room turning it off and removing the eq actually helped my sound. Which is why I thought you should give it a shot. Everything stays level matched. And after trying it out off you can always just turn it back on if you don't like how it sounds or if it doesn't help your bass situation your trying to tweak out on mine once you turn it on you can hit restore original settings if you've made any tweaks and your good to go

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Shady, you know that I moved my subs back up front and I was saying how the bass was coming from the right side of room the way hsu suggested. Explain what exactly it’s going to do if I move them back to how hsu suggested and switching the amp to in on the sub and playing with the crossover on the sub.

Should I be playing with just the rear right one with the amp n crossover or the front right corner one also? Crossover now is set to 80 for everything

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Shady, you know that I moved my subs back up front and I was saying how the bass was coming from the right side of room the way hsu suggested. Explain what exactly it’s going to do if I move them back to how hsu suggested and switching the amp to in on the sub and playing with the crossover on the sub.

Should I be playing with just the rear right one with the amp n crossover or the front right corner one also? Crossover now is set to 80 for everything
Sound becomes more localizable as the frequency goes up. This is why THX standardized 80 Hz for the crossover frequency. Higher than 80 Hz bass starts to get localizable. The thing is, the THX crossover is not a brick wall filter. I don't know what your AVR is doing, but THX specifies a 24 dB/ octave slope, which means there will still be some output above 80 Hz. Anyway, the lower the crossover frequency, the less localizable the bass will be.

So if one of your subs is drawing attention to its position, one thing you can do it lower the crossover frequency on that particular sub. You can do this by flipping the 'crossover' switch to 'in' and lowing the frequency on the 'crossover frequency' knob until the sub isn't localizable. Maybe try 70 Hz, then 60 Hz.

Hsu can help you with the positioning, but they can't know all the particulars of the geometry of your room, so while their placement advice is usually pretty good, you might be able to get a better sound by experimenting with placement on your own as well. Try a bunch of different placements and have fun with it. One thing to try, just for fun, move the subs right behind your listening position. I love near-field bass! Near-field bass tends to be localizable, but one thing you can do to negate that is place the sub so that it is equidistant from your ears, i.e., so one sub isn't much closer to one side of you than the other. Make sure the subs have the same phase setting too. If you want to try an interesting science experiment, move both subs behind you in a symmetrical placement versus your listening position, and flip the phase switch on one of the subs and listen to what happens.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Sound becomes more localizable as the frequency goes up. This is why THX standardized 80 Hz for the crossover frequency. Higher than 80 Hz bass starts to get localizable. The thing is, the THX crossover is not a brick wall filter. I don't know what your AVR is doing, but THX specifies a 24 dB/ octave slope, which means there will still be some output above 80 Hz. Anyway, the lower the crossover frequency, the less localizable the bass will be.

So if one of your subs is drawing attention to its position, one thing you can do it lower the crossover frequency on that particular sub. You can do this by flipping the 'crossover' switch to 'in' and lowing the frequency on the 'crossover frequency' knob until the sub isn't localizable. Maybe try 70 Hz, then 60 Hz.

Hsu can help you with the positioning, but they can't know all the particulars of the geometry of your room, so while their placement advice is usually pretty good, you might be able to get a better sound by experimenting with placement on your own as well. Try a bunch of different placements and have fun with it. One thing to try, just for fun, move the subs right behind your listening position. I love near-field bass! Near-field bass tends to be localizable, but one thing you can do to negate that is place the sub so that it is equidistant from your ears, i.e., so one sub isn't much closer to one side of you than the other. Make sure the subs have the same phase setting too. If you want to try an interesting science experiment, move both subs behind you in a symmetrical placement versus your listening position, and flip the phase switch on one of the subs and listen to what happens.
Ok. I don’t have any issues with trying things but here’s the thing. I did try one sub directly behind me and yes the back row sounded good but the front row had like no impact whatsoever, so idk if I’m kinda up a creek here but I don’t just want to have my back three seats sounding good and the front two suck.

What I’m saying is that I would like all my seats to sound as good as possible. The other thing I didn’t like with one in the right front corner and one in right rear was that my towers got pushed in closer to my tv than I’d like. They sounded good that way but I think they sound even better spread farther apart, like where they are now.

I haven’t tried both behind me but I’m guessing my back row will sound awesome but the front row is going to sound weak, idk. I’ll try it though and see. I just need a balance since I have two rows of seats. So when they’re behind me, should the phase on each be at zero or both at 180?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief

I know you suggested before that I try 100hz crossover for all my speakers but I couldn’t really here a difference, maybe it’s me. Should there be a distinct difference that I’ll notice if I’m changing the crossovers in the avr for the speakers?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief

By no means do these sound bad, they sound awesome but I may just need two more subs. Two more of these vtf3s behind me may be to big cuz the tabletop gets used n there’s bar seats underneath. May have to find two more that are comparable n a little smaller. My room might just suck too, idk.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Right now I’m drinking and listening to music sitting behind my back row at the tabletop, the music and bass sound fricking awesome. Guessing it’s bouncing off this back wall, if only it sounded like this when I’m sitting in a seat

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
the 100 Hz crossover recommendation was for when you had four subs in four corners. With two asymmetrically placed subs, that might be localizable. With four symmetrically placed subs, it shouldn't be localizable. For the phase settings, you should stick with zero for now.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
You guys think I’d be creating a problem if I bought two uls mk5’s instead of two more vtf3’s? I think putting two more vtf3’s behind me under the tabletop is gonna kinda cramp that area up, idk though.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You guys think I’d be creating a problem if I bought two uls mk5’s instead of two more vtf3’s? I think putting two more vtf3’s behind me under the tabletop is gonna kinda cramp that area up, idk though.
The problem with that is sealed subs operate in an opposite phase versus the port output on ported subs. They can be integrated, with some care, but it's not an ideal situation. If the VTF-3 height is the problem, you can always just use them on their sides.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
The problem with that is sealed subs operate in an opposite phase versus the port output on ported subs. They can be integrated, with some care, but it's not an ideal situation. If the VTF-3 height is the problem, you can always just use them on their sides.
Did not realize it would be ok to lay them down like that

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Did not realize it would be ok to lay them down like that
It won't affect their operation, but you might want to place something soft underneath them for that orientation in order not to scuff the finish.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
It won't affect their operation, but you might want to place something soft underneath them for that orientation in order not to scuff the finish.
They’d be laying on carpet

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
It’s more of how deep they are sticking out kinda into the walkway behind couch

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It’s more of how deep they are sticking out kinda into the walkway behind couch
You can turn them so that they are facing sideways for a shallower profile. Angle doesn't really matter with a subwoofer since deep bass is omnidirectional. It won't affect the sound.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
You can turn them so that they are facing sideways for a shallower profile. Angle doesn't really matter with a subwoofer since deep bass is omnidirectional. It won't affect the sound.
Ok thx, dam ur up way to early on a Saturday

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
If they’re turned sideways, say the woofers are facing each other, aren’t they going to cancel each other out? Or it won’t matter cuz they’re phases will be switched anyway?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis