4-ohm receiver and speaker setup recommendations?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It sounds like it would be worth it to just spend the extra bit for at least 5.1, so I can use the 3 ELACs along with the Q Acoustics, unless I happen to find an unusually good deal on a high-end stereo receiver.

Here's what's been recommended so far in AVRs:

Denon AVR-S660H 5.2 $500 new (suggested by Crutchfield)

Yamaha RX-A1080 7.2 $900 refurb

Denon AVR-X3500H 7.2 $800 new

Denon AVR-X3400H 7.2 NA

Onkyo TX-NR5100 7.2 $600 new
Given that prices have gone up across the board, $800 new for a X3500H would make it a winner. I have had the AVR-X3400H for about a week and compared it with my two channel separates, the 3400 was not as powerful but within its limit it sounded just as good. Being a 2018 model, would the new X3500H come with some sort of warranty? It it does, I bet it won't last long. Highly recommended..

M

movinginstereo

Enthusiast
Given that prices have gone up across the board, $800 new for a X3500H would make it a winner. I have had the AVR-X3400H for about a week and compared it with my two channel separates, the 3400 was not as powerful but within its limit it sounded just as good. Being a 2018 model, would the new X3500H come with some sort of warranty? It it does, I bet it won't last long. Highly recommended..
It's sold out, but I could watch for a used one.

M

movinginstereo

Enthusiast
How about a used Rotel Rx1052? Not sure how I'd connect the sub.

M

movinginstereo

Enthusiast
Salespeople are strongly recommending the Cambridge AVR100, plus there are a couple of really glowing reviews from experts. Any chance the salespeople are incentivized? The specs look weak and consumers seem to prefer other options, like the Denon PMA-600NE or the Yamaha A-S301.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Salespeople are strongly recommending the Cambridge AVR100, plus there are a couple of really glowing reviews from experts. Any chance the salespeople are incentivized? The specs look weak and consumers seem to prefer other options, like the Denon PMA-600NE or the Yamaha A-S301.
Of course salespeople would push high margin products, but they also are not technically knowledgeable (some are..). The Denon and the Yamaha are both very weak, with little power output for 8 ohm speakers let alone 4 ohm ones.

Again, if you want value based on verified specs (by bench tests) it is hard to beat the ones already recommended:

2 channel - Yamaha R-N803
7 channel - AVR-X3500H, or X3400H but you probably can only find used ones.

Or the Yamaha RX-V6A, especially if you can get one from Costco:
Specs: TSR-700 7.2 Channel 8K AV Receiver – Yamaha USA

Those integrated amps you seem to be still looking for are fine as long as you don't mind paying more $ and get less vale, and are not worry about not having enough juice for your Elac speakers in a large room. Not being sarcastic, because in fact if you listen to say 20 or even 15 dB below reference level sitting from say not more than 10-12 feet those low output amps could work.

By the way, I thought you need a multi channel AVR, why are you considering the two channel integrate amps then? AVRs with pre outs are highly recommended for their ability to work with external power amps. Again, you do have low efficient speakers in a larger room.

M

movinginstereo

Enthusiast
I don't really need an AVR, although I do have enough speakers to support one. I don't think I would use streaming/networking functions either (I don't use anything wireless at home). My priority is music listening (CD and vinyl). My understanding is that the 4-ohm ELAC speakers are more efficient, and thus require a less powerful amp than the 8-ohm Optimus speakers. We'll see! I'll test a couple of amps and update this thread later. Thanks again! I really appreciate all the suggestions.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't really need an AVR, although I do have enough speakers to support one. I don't think I would use streaming/networking functions either (I don't use anything wireless at home). My priority is music listening (CD and vinyl). My understanding is that the 4-ohm ELAC speakers are more efficient, and thus require a less powerful amp than the 8-ohm Optimus speakers. We'll see! I'll test a couple of amps and update this thread later. Thanks again! I really appreciate all the suggestions.
If you compare it to your Optimus speakers then you may be right the 4 ohm 85 dB/2.83V/m Elac could well be more efficient in a sense as those little Optimus speakers were not designed to play even moderately loud in a medium size room to begin with:).

Overall, the combination of the UniFi UF5 towers 4 ohm nominal and 85 dB/2.83V/m sensitivity specs would put them firmly in the lower than average efficiency category. They are really nice speakers, but even if you don't sit further than 12 feet, for them to sound their best at moderately loud level (I know that could be a subjective term..) you may want to pair them with an amp (AVR, receivers or whatever) rated 100 W 4 ohms, or a 100 W 8 ohm amp that is not rated for 4 ohms but bench tested to be capable of delivering more than 100 W into 4 ohm. As explained before, you can certainly drive them with a lot less powerful amps depending on the spl you desired and your seating distance.

I think you have tons of information now, good luck with you search..

M

movinginstereo

Enthusiast
Thanks again for all your advice.

I bought a used Yamaha RX-V995 5.1 receiver and I'm using it with the ELAC floor and center speakers and the SVS sub. It's nice to have the center speaker for TV, but the surrounds aren't worth draping wire across my living room and they sputter when the settings aren't right, so I disconnected them, at least for now.

I hooked up the Optimus speakers on the B channel for comparison and tried both of them with the two impedance settings. The best sound is with the ELACs on the 8-ohm setting. I'll just have to be careful. I may add a computer fan with a thermostat, although it already has a fan built in. The Yamaha has a protection circuit, which my old receiver didn't have.

The ELACs with the Yamaha sound great and really fill the room (almost too much gusto). The improvement in audio quality over the Optimus speakers is really only noticeable if I'm listening to a well-mastered CD, which would sound great on the cheaper setup anyway. So, as much as I really love the new setup, my world was not cracked wide open by the sound. The receiver remote is huge and hilarious, as are the effects options (Disco, 70-mm Sci-Fi, etc.), but the interface is very simple and intuitive and I won't loose the remote between the couch cushions, so that's good.

What really needs the most work is the phono quality. The phono pre-amp in the receiver is better than the one in my turntable, but I think I still want to upgrade my turntable and maybe the pre-amp. I'm also curious to borrow a Cambridge axr100 demo from our local shop (ListenUp) for comparison. I'll update if I do.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm also curious to borrow a Cambridge axr100 demo from our local shop (ListenUp) for comparison. I'll update if I do.
If you are going to do that, for the results to be even just barely meaningful you should do the following:

- Level match to within 0.5 dB, some will say 0.25 dB but.. (use a proper spl meter, or at least use a multimeter if you have one, with a test tone.
- Listen in pure direct mode with no bass management/dsp functions. (the axr100 has only two channels anyway)
- For media contents, stick with 1, or just a few tracks that you know are of the best recording quality.
- Listen at moderate level to minimize chance of clipping.
- Wire them the best you can to minimize switching time between the two.

The above is for trying to find out if you can hear a difference when both units are tested at well below their output limits. You can do a separate test to find out which one would clip at what spl level.

The hardest part is to find a way to compare such that you won't, or at least no sure which one you are listening to. If you do, all bets are off, even if you think the difference is so easy to tell, you will be surprised if you don't know which one you are listening to. I won't even bother comparing the specs of the two, but will do once you report back with your test results.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis