Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
How does that work with the center speaker on the same shelf as the tt? No feedback issues?
Same for me. The AVR is set to switch to stereo playback for phono. The dust cover does seem to pick up vibration from the mains but the base of some of the Project tables is MDF and a good sound insulator.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Added the dual well Pioneer deck to my main system for a total of 4 decks. It will get surplanted by a Yamaha C300 deck once I get it back from the repair shop.

IMG_6383.jpg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I finally found the bass!!!! I read a review on Top Gun Maverick bluray and my bass wasn't hitting as hard as the movie described. This really peaved me off so I went through all my AVR's settings and found the GD culprit. YPAO volume was turned on through all scenes but even worse than that was ADR (Adapative Dynamic Range) control was set. Who the hell turned that on?? :mad: I do not recall turning this on ever. :eek: I turned it all off and rewatched some of heavy bass scenes and I'm relieved to say that things are now rattling around the room and I feel the slam as much as my main floor system.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm thinking of removing the middle speaker and dropping the left and right surrounds more to ear level. I do not have any stands that are 40" tall (height needed just to clear the back of the couch). Should I buy stands or do I just lower the wall brackets. The right speaker is a little close to the entry way so I may move it away from that by a few inches. The reason for having them up that high in the first place was for safety reasons and not to bump into them. I live alone now so safety is no longer a concern within reason *LOL* What are your thoughts?

Main37.jpg

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I like stands myself, but lowering wall mounts would also work, but might not look as "pretty".

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Looks like you have room for stands. Do you have a set of stands you could borrow from another system just to experiment with? Height would not need to be critical but you could easily extend the wires down and see how it looks and whether it would interfere with the doorway. If you don't like the temp stand setup, then move the wall mounts down.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Either would be effective. I’m glad to finally see you lowering them. You will have a much better Atmos presentation. And losing the middle rear will be a good choice too imo.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I lowered the surround left & right speakers today but left the surround back up for now. I will run YPAO tomorrow and rewatch Top Gun Maverick to see how it sounds. Pictures to follow as well. If I like the setup, I will have some wall maintenance and painting to do.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looks great now take off the bras off the side speakers. Let's see those tweets. o_O :cool: Enjoy!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Also. Have you ever tried to aim the tops at the MLP? Speakers normally sound better on axis. Just thinking of tweaks.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Also. Have you ever tried to aim the tops at the MLP? Speakers normally sound better on axis. Just thinking of tweaks.
I don't need to aim the atmos speakers because they have a pretty wide dispersion pattern already and I sit well within their dispersion envelope. My thought on the idea behind atmos was to create a difuse sound field. Angling them towards the listener woud reduce that.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don't need to aim the atmos speakers because they have a pretty wide dispersion pattern already and I sit well within their dispersion envelope. My thought on the idea behind atmos was to create a difuse sound field. Angling them towards the listener woud reduce that.
I can see your point. But Atmos isn’t about diffused sound, but more pinpoint accuracy. If it’s working for you though, that’s great.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I repositionned the surround back channel and moved it towards the window wall by 11" to align with the center channel speaker and center of the sofa. The sofa was not the orginal unit there when I put these speakers up. Pictures will be posted once I have repaired the holes left from the previous locations.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I tackled this room again a couple of days ago with my PC and UMIK1 mic. The reason for the tackle is that I could not get a smooth integration with my mains and subs when running my mains set to large with the current sub locations. I tackled this previously in the last week of October and had to run a cluge to get something that resembled a good response. I knew this was not the answer so I decided to relocate one of my subs, sub 2 in the room. Sub 1 remained in its location as it really gave an even bass response from 20 up to 80 Hz before it dipped. I moved sub 2 from the right side of the couch as shown here
IMG_0176.jpg

to the left side of the left speaker.

IMG_0179.jpg

Here are the following sub responses individually and combined before REW EQ curves were applied.

Sub Responses Before EQ.jpg

The next plot shows before and after REW of the combined sub response

Sub response PreEQ vs PostEQ.jpg

I integrated the subs with the main speakers by tweeking the sub distance in the AVR's menu to provide me with the best response.

Pattern-1 is what I use to listen to music. The mains are run as large with the subs using the Xtra Bass facility on the AVR. The graph below shows differences between Through (no PEQ) but Mains + sub (Xtra Bass) and Pure DIrect (no PEQ) where the subs are not being used.

Pattern1 PEQ=Thru Mains=Large + Subs vs  PEQ=PureDirect Mains=Large - subs.jpg

Pattern-2 is what I use to watch movies. Mains are set to small and Xtra Bass is turned off. The graph below shows the difference in response with PEQ set to Flat verses PEQ set to Through

Pattern2 PEQ+Flat vs PEQ=Through.jpg

It doesn't surprise me that the sub distances would vary between Pattern-1 and Pattern-2 The sub distances are 22.2 ft and 12.2 ft for Pattern-1 and Pattern-2 respectively.

I tweeked the sub level via the AVR for Pattern-2 (movie mode) . I like my subs running a little hot for movies.

Pattern2 Final Sub response setting.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg
IMG_0181.jpg

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm adding a separates stack dedicated to 2 channel use only not because I think it will sound better than my AVR but because Ive always wanted one. I'm a die hard Yamaha guy and my stack is what else Yamaha. I'm not sure aesthetically which placement of the stack I want yet. What do you guys think? Option 1 or Option 2

Option 1
IMG_0595.jpg
IMG_0594.jpg

option 2

IMG_0597.jpg
IMG_0596.jpg

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis