3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Also a thick blanket over the back might help too. I also have leather and always cover my couch back even when running audyssey. And yes, I do cover it when listening intently to music.
I always struggle telling reflections that cause anomalies.
I ran some measurements with a thick blanket that covers the entire back but it changed very little.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No and I wont either as I want to measure the sound at the listener position. Moving the seat further away from the wall will put me too close the main speakers. I could try a couple of more inches I suppose.
Gotcha....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I ran some measurements with a thick blanket that covers the entire back but it changed very little.
Sometimes it won’t change much. Sometimes it does if the mic is picking up reflections off the seat backs. This can do weird things, but mostly i think cause cancellations.
I have AudiOCD sometimes and well....you know...lol

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Have you tried putting the mic above the seatback and further away from the wall?
I lied to you yesterday, March 22 at 10:am. :p I decided to raise the mic up by a couple of inches just passed the chair back which made it slightly higher than my ears by an inch. Here are the revised measurements
FLAT Across 3 LP.jpg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
While the weather is nice and the daylight hours are long, I will not spend much time on getting the new sub integrated into the system. Thankfully, I did keep my old measurements when I went through this exercise looking for the best location for the current sub.

The new sub location frequency response is this
sub_at_new_location.jpg

Out of the next three locations, I will locate the 2nd sub to the right of the sofa almost opposite corner of the new location.
sub_at_right_of_sofa.jpg

The other two locations were left of sofa and by the exercise bike.
sub_at_left_of_sofa.jpg
sub_at_bike_location.jpg

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I got the 2nd sub dialed in I think. Here is the raw response before adding a house curve via the miniDSP. The 2nd sub was first gain matched my ensuring the SPL at 50 Hz was the same for the 2nd sub at the 1st subs location.

Individual and Combines Sub Response.jpg

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I got the 2nd sub dialed in I think. Here is the raw response before adding a house curve via the miniDSP. The 2nd sub was first gain matched my ensuring the SPL at 50 Hz was the same for the 2nd sub at the 1st subs location.

View attachment 48990
Still learning about REW and miniDSP. Are most of you using the miniDSP just on the subwoofer? Basically, using Audyssey / YPAO / DIRAC for the mains and surrounds and miniDSP between the sub/LFE out and the subwoofer input?

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Still learning about REW and miniDSP. Are most of you using the miniDSP just on the subwoofer? Basically, using Audessey / YPAO / DIRAC for the mains and surrounds and miniDSP between the sub/LFE out and the subwoofer input?
Correct in my case and for a few others here.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Still learning about REW and miniDSP. Are most of you using the miniDSP just on the subwoofer? Basically, using Audessey / YPAO / DIRAC for the mains and surrounds and miniDSP between the sub/LFE out and the subwoofer input?
Yes. I use my mini for the three subs in my system. I also use audyssey xt32 with subEQ but have been limiting to 300hz and using bypass on my mains.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The miniDSPs I have (2x4 models) were purchased for sub setup, altho the older one, an unbalanced, is set aside for a future diy 2-way active speaker project....someday :). I'd need a more capable one for a ful multich speaker array as well as separate amps to stick 'em in between the avr and speakers, tho.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The 2nd sub location in the basement and its firing out from the back wall.
Main26.jpg
Main27.jpg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The first graph are plots along the width of the couch before EQ via miniDSP.

C_L_R LP Before EQ.jpg

The second graph are plots along the width of the couch post EQ via miniDSP
C_L_R LP Post EQ.jpg

I'm going to have play with the EQ a bit more with the miniDSP as I'm not satisfied with the drop in output from PreEQ to PostEQ and the difference between the 3 LPs

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
So I've done more playing but to lazy to measure today. Instead, I'm posting a graph of what MiniDSP thinks it can do for me. I've also attached a screen shot of the settings in REW

REW Config3 For Basement.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Looks OK on a screenshot, but will have to see how it actually sounds. Sometimes the curve looks right but doesn't sound as good as it looks, I find.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
My updated pic of the equipment rack. There are 3 working decks, added a 2nd KX-1200 which I will use to record and a K1000 that I use only for play.

Main31.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How does that work with the center speaker on the same shelf as the tt? No feedback issues?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis