300 Mbps Vs 900Mbps need?

V

viorelc

Audioholic Intern
If you rely mostly on wireless connectivity, the most important setup is your wireless coverage for the locations you need it most, as it may be limiting your capabilities more than your internet provider. A well placed wireless bridge/repeater will help if you have unstable or low performance in a place you need it.

Although my Internet plan (Comcast) is for 400 Mbit/s, I have enabled a feature on my network devices that limits throughput to about 85 Mbit/s (tested to give me 97 Mbit/s in reality) and I know I could degrade my plan to 100 Mbit/s (and save some $4-$5/month). My Netflix streaming of movies at 4K did not suffer, and neither had any of my use of computers, mobiles etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Well just downgraded, but won't take effect for 24 hours they said. Fingers no issues or I'm gonna look like an idiot.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Assuming you have a symmetrical download/upload you'll probably not notice any difference going to 300 Mbps. Many ISPs only talk about download speed while neglecting the upload speed that often is very low, sometimes as low as 10 Mbps, and such connections are marginal if you use video meetings while others watching movies.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Assuming you have a symmetrical download/upload you'll probably not notice any difference going to 300 Mbps. Many ISPs only talk about download speed while neglecting the upload speed that often is very low, sometimes as low as 10 Mbps, and such connections are marginal if you use video meetings while others watching movies.
That's the part that gets people. They don't think they need the upload speed. Well, with tons of folks working from home, it's much more important than it ever has been.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
The new speeds kicked in last night, pretty quickly too and absolutely no difference in anything. Everything worked perfectly. We had the Fire Cube going downstairs, Fire stick going upstairs, I was on my laptop and phone and the kid was on his Kindle and no issues at all. I feel great about this move so far. Now I need a WiFi 6 router and send their back to save 20 bucks a month to drop to 39.99.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Must be nice. My current speed is only 200 down and 5 up with Comcast. :)

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The new speeds kicked in last night, pretty quickly too and absolutely no difference in anything. Everything worked perfectly. We had the Fire Cube going downstairs, Fire stick going upstairs, I was on my laptop and phone and the kid was on his Kindle and no issues at all. I feel great about this move so far. Now I need a WiFi 6 router and send their back to save 20 bucks a month to drop to 39.99.

Here in EU we have the Netflix fast.com for testing download speed but in the options on that page you can also test upload as well.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Nice! If you are using their router, it’s probably a Gateway(modem/router). So, you will need your own modem as well as a WiFi 6(AX) router if it is a Gateway. Not sure what you have going on there. Enjoy the savings!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Nice! If you are using their router, it’s probably a Gateway(modem/router). So, you will need your own modem as well as a WiFi 6(AX) router if it is a Gateway. Not sure what you have going on there. Enjoy the savings!
They are separate, the modem and router are actually two different pieces of equipment. I am surprised they aren't a one box thing though. He placed the modem on one side and the router on the other side of the TV.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Must be nice. My current speed is only 200 down and 5 up with Comcast. :)
I remember when cable internet first came to my area in TX. We were a testbed (for some reason) and IIRC it was something like 8mpbs down 2mbps up. That was BLAZING fast considering everyone else was on dial-up. I owned folks in Q3A

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have 250 MB and it used to be amazingly "holy crap that's fast!". :oops:

We do a lot of 4k streaming too, and it still seems to be plenty fast enough.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

Oh, yes, buying your connection equipment is a real money saver for sure, even at $10 a month, $120 a year and in 2 years or so, you are making money on the deal. And, if you move, you take that with you.
Make sure if it is a single unit modem and router in one, that it can handle the speed and perhaps at least a gigabit speed capable even though you are getting 300 speed.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Just remember, VPN on will degrade your speed by a lot. Learned it the hard way.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Oh, yes, buying your connection equipment is a real money saver for sure, even at $10 a month, $120 a year and in 2 years or so, you are making money on the deal. And, if you move, you take that with you.
Make sure if it is a single unit modem and router in one, that it can handle the speed and perhaps at least a gigabit speed capable even though you are getting 300 speed.
They are separate, there is a modem on one side of the TV and the router on the other. All I need is a WiFi 6 router or so I was told.
The problem I'm having is there are a million, a freaking million WiFi 6 routers in quite the price range. Any suggestions? I saw the TP-link 1800, is that decent? I saw one for 50 bucks too from TP-LINK.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
They are separate, there is a modem on one side of the TV and the router on the other. All I need is a WiFi 6 router or so I was told.
The problem I'm having is there are a million, a freaking million WiFi 6 routers in quite the price range. Any suggestions? I saw the TP-link 1800, is that decent? I saw one for 50 bucks too from TP-LINK.

Why did they say you needed wifi 6?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not sure, that's just what the tech told me. Do I not need 6? I think it had to do with speed.

Honestly, that's just the latest (I think) Wifi standard, but that doesn't mean that a lot of devices support that standard.

You need good coverage and (if possible) separate SSID's for 5g and 2.4g that way you can add devices accordingly.

Sorry if you went over this already, but what exactly is your issue?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Honestly, that's just the latest (I think) Wifi standard, but that doesn't mean that a lot of devices support that standard.

You need good coverage and (if possible) separate SSID's for 5g and 2.4g that way you can add devices accordingly.

Sorry if you went over this already, but what exactly is your issue?
No real issue. I switched to FiOS because optimum internet would drop 30+ times a day for a minute or 2 each time.
I initially had a Gig/900 Mbps speed but dropped it up 300 Mbps so bill went down to 60 but if I get my own router, return their the bill drops to 39.99. I just need a router to return theirs.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I have a Linksys AC5400 router, 8 antennas on it. Gigabit speed. Works great. Lots of things you can control on it.
Two 5 gHz bands, a 2.4 gHz. In that 2.4 band in the menu you can set which 2.4 protocol. Don't set it to auto as the speed on that band drops to the lower protocol speed capability. Set it to N only. If another brand has that capacity do that with it as well.
Yes, lots to learn about routers but it inform you better.
Your modem needs to handle the speeds as well as they are also rated what is their speed limit is. Your Internet carrier should have an acceptable modem as some modems may not be compatible with the carrier.

The AX6 router(wi-fi6) is the new generation. It has a new wide band channel on it160 meg, multiple giga speed.

Do some internet searches on things routers

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis