300 Mbps Vs 900Mbps need?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
We just switched to Verizon Fios from Optimum. Optimum would drop out 30+ times a day for a minute to 3 minutes each time. Anyway we have the 900Mbps or what they call 1Gig which is what we had with Optimum. We of course stream a lot, stream in 4K. We have a a Fire Cube, a Roku Ultra, a 4K Stick upstairs for the other TV. We have laptops that we just go on the internet with. Oh my son has a Kindle too. We don't of course use all of these going full boar all the time. Could we get away with just the 300 Mbps plan? Seems like we could to me. The price difference is like 45 bucks. Thanks for any help.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Why not try the 300. When you comcast contract came up for renewal I saw an offer to do up to 400 down and 15 up as they call it, I think, for less than I was paying for a 175 and 5.

When it started it was good for a few month then back down. Make a long story short, After two separate 1 hour calls we discovered it was my VPN that slowed things down. And, now, they are giving me up to 800 down :) for the same price. Turning VPN off placed it back where it was.
While I don't measure such highs all the time, it is great.
We don't stream 4k and I doubt we would not see a difference if it was only 400, I like the numbers. :D

ps, we don't have fiber to the house just a main line or two.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Oh wow that's interesting. We have Fiber to the house, it's brand new too, I think Verizon installed this a year or 2 so. The Verizon guy said 300 is enough for what I need. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL I doubt we'll ever even be offered that kind of speed here. We're lucky to have changed from dsl to cable, but my top download speed test has been a little over 100, but usually around 50. 300 seems like a good starting point....

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have Optimum too, and it's generally rock-solid (once I bought the suitable modem)
I've recently switched from 200 down to 400 down, and except large movies download faster, there are no other differences.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Man 900… that would be great, except for drop outs. We have fiber here, 50 up/down, 50 bucks a month. We have 4 and sometimes 5 people here(when my son is home from college). Lots of YouTube, Xbox, Netflix, music streaming and general surfing at any given time. It’s a rare occasion that I notice any studders or lagging. It does happen, but it’s not even annoying, it’s so subtle.
So I think you’d be fine het.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I had to stop Optimum after having them forever. Like I said it would drop out 30+ times a day and then they says if a tech comes out and doesn't find an issue we will charge you 80 bucks and then added but you can avoid this by getting a 9 dollar a month protection plan. I was like really? I'm gonna hand over 80 bucks to this piece of crap company or give you 9 bucks every month? Oh I let them have it. For 80 bucks they get nothing, absolutely nothing. That's how short sighted these companies are. Oblivious to the fact there is competition now and more on the way.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You're just lucky you had an option to switch to VZ. If I had such an option I'd switch eons ago.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I had to stop Optimum after having them forever. Like I said it would drop out 30+ times a day and then they says if a tech comes out and doesn't find an issue we will charge you 80 bucks and then added but you can avoid this by getting a 9 dollar a month protection plan. I was like really? I'm gonna hand over 80 bucks to this piece of crap company or give you 9 bucks every month? Oh I let them have it. For 80 bucks they get nothing, absolutely nothing. That's how short sighted these companies are. Oblivious to the fact there is competition now and more on the way.

Yeah dish pulls that crap too. 100 bucks to send a tech, or for ten bucks a month all
Service fees are waived. Well if I never need a tech, that’s 120 bucks a year on NOTHING. I usually fix it all myself. So they can stick it up their a$$. I f I DO actually need a tech I’ll pay the hundred bucks. But sometimes a conversation with the “customer retention dept” can get fees waived. Especially if your a long time customer.
It’s funny. My first ever satellite system was free. Yep free. A provider(Hughes maybe?) was giving away boxes that contained a satellite receiver and dish with mounting hardware. You take it home, mount it and find the signal yourself. Lots of trial and error. I remember at the time I had a 2.0 system and had to turn it up so I could hear the beep beep beep of the signal when I got close. Man, I can’t believe that was actually a thing. Lmao

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah dish pulls that crap too. 100 bucks to send a tech, or for ten bucks a month all
Service fees are waived. Well if I never need a tech, that’s 120 bucks a year on NOTHING. I usually fix it all myself. So they can stick it up their a$$. I f I DO actually need a tech I’ll pay the hundred bucks. But sometimes a conversation with the “customer retention dept” can get fees waived. Especially if your a long time customer.
It’s funny. My first ever satellite system was free. Yep free. A provider(Hughes maybe?) was giving away boxes that contained a satellite receiver and dish with mounting hardware. You take it home, mount it and find the signal yourself. Lots of trial and error. I remember at the time I had a 2.0 system and had to turn it up so I could hear the beep beep beep of the signal when I got close. Man, I can’t believe that was actually a thing. Lmao
These companies really are bad, and they have been for a very, very long time.
Aren't we going to be able to skip cable internet altogether soon? Isn't Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile gonna offer 5G internet right into your home skipping the cable companies altogether?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Aren't we going to be able to skip cable internet altogether soon? Isn't Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile gonna offer 5G internet right into your home skipping the cable companies altogether?

I think that’s possible. My problem is att makes you sign up for directv to get some of their internet services. I tried it once a number of years ago and DT sucks donkey dikk. Our monthly bill got to be stupid so I went back to dish. Funny thing is I pulled ALL of the cable when the DT guy came. Without boring you, it was complicated by the architecture of my house. I have only myself to blame since we designed and built much of it. I offered to do it because knew it would just be easier. Plus I don’t like other people in my truss space lol.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
We just switched to Verizon Fios from Optimum. Optimum would drop out 30+ times a day for a minute to 3 minutes each time. Anyway we have the 900Mbps or what they call 1Gig which is what we had with Optimum. We of course stream a lot, stream in 4K. We have a a Fire Cube, a Roku Ultra, a 4K Stick upstairs for the other TV. We have laptops that we just go on the internet with. Oh my son has a Kindle too. We don't of course use all of these going full boar all the time. Could we get away with just the 300 Mbps plan? Seems like we could to me. The price difference is like 45 bucks. Thanks for any help.
Monitor your routers performance and you'll know exactly what you need.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
We have had DTV DSL for several years at 100Mbps. No issues with us and been the same $40.00 a month. Streaming 4K has not been an issue using Netflix. Using for laptop movies/streaming has no issues too. We've had the same ATT Gateway/modem for some time.

My AVR is Wi-Fi connected to DTV gateway, for music streaming and is great.

The average Mbps speed is around 70-87, depending.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
They all have some version of that rolling out right now. We've got T-Mobile home internet currently, it does seem to have random drop outs maybe once or twice a day, but other than that it's been good. Our only options previously were satellite or a 3rd party cellular internet provider. Used 3rd party internet providers for a few years until AT&T started messing with all of them and I ended up switching ISP's 4 times in 2020 because of that.

B

bommai

Audioholic Intern
Wow. I have the 1Gbps fiber plan with ATT fiber and only pay $50 per month total!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

highfigh

highfigh

How many of your devices were connected with an ethernet cable when you used Optimum? Did they all lose their connection? Did the router make any sound when this would happen, like a 'click'? My ATT POS gateway would click when the WiFi would turn off but it always worked when the computer was hard wired so it was clearly a hardware problem. To be precise, it was the wall wart that had a problem.

My internet speed is supposed to be 200Mbps and it works fine, but since Spectrum is broadband, it can buffer occasionally because we all share the stream in a small area- not absolutely sure how your ISP deals with each account.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
How many of your devices were connected with an ethernet cable when you used Optimum? Did they all lose their connection? Did the router make any sound when this would happen, like a 'click'? My ATT POS gateway would click when the WiFi would turn off but it always worked when the computer was hard wired so it was clearly a hardware problem. To be precise, it was the wall wart that had a problem.

My internet speed is supposed to be 200Mbps and it works fine, but since Spectrum is broadband, it can buffer occasionally because we all share the stream in a small area- not absolutely sure how your ISP deals with each account.
Everything would drop, the Fire stick upstairs and Fire Cube downstairs, laptops, phones, Echo, Google home, everything would drop at the same time and come back on the same time.
I didn't hear the modem/router make a sound and the lights on the front never or rarely and went out indicating the internet was still up. It would last anywhere from 1-3 minutes each time. During a 2 hour movie it would drop 5-10 times, very frustrating. NFL Sunday is the worst! Drop a good 30 times at least.
FiOS for a week and haven't lost connection once yet . It's been fast as can be and steady as can be.

highfigh

highfigh

Everything would drop, the Fire stick upstairs and Fire Cube downstairs, laptops, phones, Echo, Google home, everything would drop at the same time and come back on the same time.
I didn't hear the modem/router make a sound and the lights on the front never or rarely and went out indicating the internet was still up. It would last anywhere from 1-3 minutes each time. During a 2 hour movie it would drop 5-10 times, very frustrating. NFL Sunday is the worst! Drop a good 30 times at least.
FiOS for a week and haven't lost connection once yet . It's been fast as can be and steady as can be.

But my original question- how much of the equipment was hard wired?

ISPs don't guarantee wireless performance, only wired.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
But my original question- how much of the equipment was hard wired?

ISPs don't guarantee wireless performance, only wired.
The only thing that is hard wired is the Fire Cube. The modem and router are an all on one device and it's their equipment. Either way FiOS is working great so far and I'm happy.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've had att fiber for years. I wont' have anything else. Well, nothing that isn't fiber anyway.

I had cable for years with little to no issues as well. I 100% use my 1gbps connection. Multiple people streaming, me doing what I do, then there's my need for being on constant conference calls. At $70/mo for internet and HBO max, I'll take it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis