3 way “bookshelf “ speakers

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Who has them and what do you think? I have BMRs and am thinking of upgrading if possible.

Last edited:
JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I'm going to agree with slipperbidness. I'm not sure what an upgrade would be except perhaps to go for a higher SPL [or leaving bookshelves].

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
@Good4it what is it about the BMR's you are wanting better? There really is not much out there going to best them under $2K or so. I mean the KEF R3's are a 3-way and are a bit more expensive than the BMR's:

https://www.kefdirect.com/speakers/stereo-speakers/bookshelf-speakers/r3.html

Not really sure if the R3's would be any upgrade or not. Of course, KEF also has the Reference 1's which are also a 3-way design:

https://www.kefdirect.com/speakers/stereo-speakers/bookshelf-speakers/reference-1-ultimate-bookshelf-speaker-pair.html

However, the Reference 1's are $8K a set!:eek: I would never be able to afford such speakers, but it sure never hurts to dream.:) Elac has the Adante AS-61's for $2500 a set. They are also a 3-way Andrew Jones design:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_970AS61GB/ELAC-Adante-AS-61-Gloss-Black.html

Once again I am not sure if the AS-61's would be much of, if any, an upgrade to the BMR's. However, ordering them from Crutchfield will allow for you to demo and compare them to your BMR's for 60-days. It typically costs $10 to send them back should you not like them. As mentioned, it is going to be hard to best the BMR's under $2-2.5K or so. Best wishes.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the comparisons, looks like I already have “ the best “ for the least.

Just had a wild hair.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the comparisons, looks like I already have “ the best “ for the least.
Tastes vary. You might like the dispersion pattern of a horn, or the room interactions of a planar speaker (the latter of which you won't likely find in a bookshelf format). You could really like the point-source of a coaxial, or sheer dynamic range of a high-efficiency speaker.

But yes: the BMR is a really well regarded speaker.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

Just had a wild hair.
In retrospect, after my research, shopping and auditioning... I can’t think of many speakers I want to consider beyond what I have in the BMRs and what I’m still waiting for in my Phil 3s. Considering what I know about Dennis and Jim, @everettT has it... you need to step up pretty big to outdo the BMR. Maybe the only thing I would consider outside of Jim’s work is Rick’s at Selah. That said, on that other forum, there’s been an ongoing discussion about what to do if there are no more BMRs... and just short of Sierra Towers from Ascend... Selah was the next up.
Beyond that... if you really want to one up the BMRs, you gotta consider 3-way towers from Salk at 4x the cost. In my book, Monitor Audio Silver 500, Martin Logan Motion 60xt, KEF... nothing! at TWICE the cost of the BMRs held up.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
In retrospect, after my research, shopping and auditioning... I can’t think of many speakers I want to consider beyond what I have in the BMRs and what I’m still waiting for in my Phil 3s. Considering what I know about Dennis and Jim, @everettT has it... you need to step up pretty big to outdo the BMR. Maybe the only thing I would consider outside of Jim’s work is Rick’s at Selah. That said, on that other forum, there’s been an ongoing discussion about what to do if there are no more BMRs... and just short of Sierra Towers from Ascend... Selah was the next up.
Beyond that... if you really want to one up the BMRs, you gotta consider 3-way towers from Salk at 4x the cost. In my book, Monitor Audio Silver 500, Martin Logan Motion 60xt, KEF... nothing! at TWICE the cost of the BMRs held up.
The bass with the Phil 3s is joy to listen to. I love the way a TL speaker reproduces bass, regardless of which loading it is. Also have a great affliction to the BG planar midrange. Have always liked their drivers in a dipole configuration. Cant wait for you to get them.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Who has them and what do you think? I have BMRs and am thinking of upgrading if possible.
That upgrade would probably cost you between five and 10,000 +. I hear the soundscape he supposed to be a terrific speaker. I haven’t heard it but most likely has better based in the BMR without subs. IMO your best bet would probably be to stick to the BMR unless you’re going to drop some serious cash.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
That upgrade would probably cost you between five and 10,000 +. I hear the soundscape he supposed to be a terrific speaker. I haven’t heard it but most likely has better based in the BMR without subs. IMO your best bet would probably be to stick to the BMR unless you’re going to drop some serious cash.
The soundscape monitor dosent dig as low as the BMR or have the insane off axis performance, but the midrange and the tweeter are very revealing.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The bass with the Phil 3s is joy to listen to. I love the way a TL speaker reproduces bass, regardless of which loading it is. Also have a great affliction to the BG planar midrange. Have always liked their drivers in a dipole configuration. Cant wait for you to get them.
@everettT!!! How ya doin', man!?! Seems like its been awhile. ;)
Of course with Dennis health, Jim eventually put the order on hold until Dennis officially passed the torch to him to finish any existing Philharmonic orders. Jim and I wrapped that up two weeks ago. They hit the Production Schedule last week, and just got the last sealer coat, today. 64% :)
What's up with those Subs??? Still excited for you! Can't wait... for either of us. :)
Cheers!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting, never heard of them before. This appears to be their version of the BMR. Looks like it measures pretty well.
http://www.selahaudio.com/tempesta-mk2-kit
Indeed. I was concerned of what to do if I couldn't get my Phil 3s from Jim... so I started looking for something to use as a full-range, 3-way replacement.
http://www.selahaudio.com/illuminismo-kit
Fortunately, Jim and I came to agreement, and I didn't have to do that as my first DIY! ;)
(I had also hedged my bets about the Phil 3s by asking Jim about sending me the finished cabinets and all the parts to assemble myself. o_Oo_Oo_O
Thankfully... Not necessary. :cool:

I will say, though, one gentleman from the two forums did order a customized center channel kit from Rick, since the gentleman couldn't get the center BMR... Seems to be happy with the outcome thus far... is supposed to be building the cabinet while rick makes modifications to the XO. ;) Hoping a build thread gets posted with some info!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Probably a good idea to keep the BMRs. I’m not saying you shouldn’t try other speakers in case you find something you like better, but you won’t be able to buy them again for what they were selling at a few months ago. :)

Last edited:
BluesDaddy

BluesDaddy

Audioholic Intern
Indeed. I was concerned of what to do if I couldn't get my Phil 3s from Jim... so I started looking for something to use as a full-range, 3-way replacement.
Fortunately, Jim and I came to agreement, and I didn't have to do that as my first DIY! ;)
(I had also hedged my bets about the Phil 3s by asking Jim about sending me the finished cabinets and all the parts to assemble myself. o_Oo_Oo_O

I will say, though, one gentleman from the two forums did order a customized center channel kit from Rick, since the gentleman couldn't get the center BMR... Seems to be happy with the outcome thus far... is supposed to be building the cabinet while rick makes modifications to the XO. ;) Hoping a build thread gets posted with some info!
Gentleman may be too generous :cool:. But we'll try to do as much of a build thread as possible considering my daughter, who lives about 20 miles away, will be putting the cabinet together (except for the front baffle). I'll be doing cabinet finish and all the install. I've gotten the cabinet plans from Rick but we've not started even buying material yet.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
@everettT!!! How ya doin', man!?! Seems like its been awhile. ;)
Of course with Dennis health, Jim eventually put the order on hold until Dennis officially passed the torch to him to finish any existing Philharmonic orders. Jim and I wrapped that up two weeks ago. They hit the Production Schedule last week, and just got the last sealer coat, today. 64% :)
What's up with those Subs??? Still excited for you! Can't wait... for either of us. :)
Cheers!
Subs in production...learned not to look lol

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic

Ryan, you are one lucky dude to be getting the last “new” pair of Phil 3s. There are going to a collectors item soon. I’m glad you were able to get everything worked out & can’t wait to see those pics!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Subs in production...learned not to look lol
LMAO!
Too true! I was doing OK with everything until Dennis disappeared. Back in Mid Feb, Jim said it was working... I was cool. When I reached out in Mid March (after Dennis announced his retirement) and Jim said it got put on hold because of Dennis, my heart skipped a beat. Ha, even told me the invoice number so I could see 52% and second sealer coat finished. talk about insanity!
I'm just glad we are back in production!
Whew!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis