$3.50 a gallon? GMAFB

NYyankeeboi

NYyankeeboi

Junior Audioholic
Ha

Send me some of that gas for 3.19. lol Today I paid $3.79 a gallon in west LA.

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
Nice... 3.79 I can't wait till it hits $6/gal... maybe that will get some of the Hummers off the road [/sarcasm]

Ah... what the heck... eventually we will all be riding little scooters to work like they do in Asia.

I just want to see some of those Oil Company profits go to some useful purpose... rather than buying Paris Hilton a new dress.

Matt34

Matt34

91 octane was $3.19 today, I put in a couple gallons of race gas to at $5.47/gal.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What octane? That doesen't seem that high...unless it is 100 Octane. Local track has 115 Octane :D

87 is now right around $3.50 here. Good thing my commute just got a lot shorter with the new job. :)

Matt34

Matt34

What octane? That doesen't seem that high...unless it is 100 Octane. Local track has 115 Octane :D

87 is now right around $3.50 here. Good thing my commute just got a lot shorter with the new job. :)
116, it's a lot cheaper than getting it at the track, that's for sure.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
$85 to fill up this week. There's a Yamaha RXV-559 at Ubid for less than that! :eek:

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Lol

I was thinking about this thread the other day:D!! We are planning a family trip down the east coast this summer? Apparently, the gouging already has begun which may alter our plans.:mad:

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
oh boy...

my turbo demands 91+ and my foot demands <20mpg to have fun.

damn

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think gas prices are too low!!

In the USA, we should tack on an extra $2-3 gas tax so we can be more like Europe. We can then use the revenue from the tax to fund a new federal government "global warming" department tasked with combating warming. ;)

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
There are three stations in a row on my exit off I-85. They went DOWN in price today by 4-12 cents/gallon. A couple other stations in town went up:confused: $2.73 a gallon for reg now.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

I think gas prices are too low!!

In the USA, we should tack on an extra $2-3 gas tax so we can be more like Europe. We can then use the revenue from the tax to fund a new federal government "global warming" department tasked with combating warming. ;)
Maybe they could use the money to pave the damn roads once a decade.

SilverMK3

SilverMK3

Audioholic
A translation for us Canadians:

$3.50 U.S. dollars = $3.85875204 Canadian dollars
1 US gallon = 3.7854118 Liters
USD $3.50/Gallon = CAD $1.02/Liter

I wish gas was that cheap in my smallish town (pop: ~90,000)

I just paid CAD $1.21/Liter for regular 87 Octane, that's USD $4.56/Gallon. On the other hand our roads tend to be in much better condition than American ones which must contribute at least a little bit to higher gas mileage (Shhh, I'm trying to justify it here!). :p

NYyankeeboi

NYyankeeboi

Junior Audioholic
yawn...134am

I still dont undestand it. If you buy in mass quantities such as a city like Los Angeles, shouldn't it be cheaper? I mean that's generally how it works with any other good/commodity.

I just think these people with the small cars that buy less should pay a fee/surcharge since they buy so little. LMAO...ok before I get a hate thread going, I am just kidding....

I am just thankful that I am self-employed and work from my house, I only fill my car up, maybe every other week, if at that.....

B

Buckeye_Nut

I still dont undestand it. If you buy in mass quantities such as a city like Los Angeles, shouldn't it be cheaper? I mean that's generally how it works with any other good/commodity.
The differences in gas prices paid are in large part..... political. For example, Cali is governed by a democrat majority which translates into higher gas taxes. That also translates into more state regulatory intervention in California. One such result are more costly 'special' gasoline blends required to be refined just for their state.

The same can be said for Europe. They pay crazy sums at the pump due in large part to higher gas taxes. The usage penalty taxes paid in Europe are classic examples of taxation without representation at it's finest. Leftist politicians in the USA have proposed similar national penalty taxes on many occasions, but their proposals have been met with stern resistance.

You've seen the endless "pain at the pump" stories depicted in the media right? They always seem to vent outrage and sympathy as they depict working poor hocking family heirlooms at pawn shops to raise money for a tank of gas.

At the same time...... those very same people in the media/politicians are the staunchest supporters of a more penal national gas tax. They claim to be "for the working man", but are they really? How can they be when their gas tax proposal will hurt the very individuals they protend to protect? If they were truly for the working man, they'd do the opposite and pass regulations/cut taxes to reduce gas prices.

The reality is.... they want us to pay more at the pump!! At the same time, they endlessly report outrage over high gas prices:eek:

To them, selling cheap gas is a very bad thing!!!

Case in point........ Wisconsin.
Headline.... Gas station owner told to raise prices
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070509/ap_on_fe_st/odd_cheap_gas_7;_ylt=AkB3xRdEDeNHy3NAH6RlaTIE1vAI

A couple years ago in Minnesota, Midwest Oil Corporation was fined $140,000 for selling gas too cheaply!! :eek: Would you care to guess which political party holds majority in both Wisconsin and Minny & is responsible for the legislation behind this fine? How ironic that the "Price floor" legislation was supposedly enacted to protect the smaller oil companies/independents........ and it was they who were attacked by that very same legislation. The end result is that it prohibits competition, which in turns.... translates into higher gas prices. That's leftist politics at it's finest:mad:

Last edited:
A

aarond

Full Audioholic

I just think these people with the small cars that buy less should pay a fee/surcharge since they buy so little. LMAO...ok before I get a hate thread going, I am just kidding....

I am just thankful that I am self-employed and work from my house, I only fill my car up, maybe every other week, if at that.....
In LA you have 18 cents per gallon state excise tax
plus 19.8 cents per gallon fed excise tax
plus 8.25% sales tax currently about 25 cents per gallon
so subtract about 63 cents per gallon to find out the actual price per gallon minus taxes
I should open a gas station and charge $2.89 per gallon plus tax
Everything else in Cali is advertised plus tax but its not allowed for gasoline for fear the consumer might realize how much tax is being collected and the roads never get fixed.

NYyankeeboi

NYyankeeboi

Junior Audioholic
In LA you have 18 cents per gallon state excise tax
plus 19.8 cents per gallon fed excise tax
plus 8.25% sales tax currently about 25 cents per gallon
so subtract about 63 cents per gallon to find out the actual price per gallon minus taxes
I should open a gas station and charge $2.89 per gallon plus tax
Everything else in Cali is advertised plus tax but its not allowed for gasoline for fear the consumer might realize how much tax is being collected and the roads never get fixed.
Ok, but isn't thats why we have "freeways" instead of highways or toll roads?

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
You have Bush and his oil buddies to thank for high gas prices. Someone mentioned earlier about annexing Iraq. We already got Iraq and that's why gas prices have been going up, and it's just one of several ways American people have been screwed. This doesn't make sense without an explanation and some history. I will try.

We began paying the day Bush decided to invade Iraq. Here are what we have been paying with our tax money:

1. The cost of the invasion

2. The cost of rebuilding what the US destroyed in the first place.

3. Finally, the cost of higher gas price. This one is a little hard to understand. You see, oil companies can control prices once they get hold of the oil. They got hold of Iraqi oil and decided they should get rewarded for the effort. They raised prices.

For all the evil things they allegedly do, oil companies are very smart if you ask me. They got the entire country to pay for their deed. Now we are paying them higher prices for the gas we helped secured with our tax money.

Brilliant.

NYyankeeboi

NYyankeeboi

Junior Audioholic
I couldn't agree with you more. It's all politics, etc..etc..

Yea, I know the UK and other countries pay a lot more for gas, and everyone whines and says to be thankful your not paying that. The other side of the argument, is that they have been paying that for years, they are used to it, therefore they purchase their cars accordingly.

Having our gas double in price in a matter of a few months is a big deal for the US. What if they had that happen?

Of course they're smart, they have the absolute best marketing that money can buy, wouldn't you?

D

DavidJ

Audioholic Intern
Petrol

Here in the UK, we pay £4.50 a gallon for 95 octane. That's about $9. 2/3's of that is tax. No-one thinks it's expensive, because we're so used to it. Crazy, eh?

NYyankeeboi

NYyankeeboi

Junior Audioholic
True, but what if the price of your gas doubled within a few months?

I guess what I am saying is that if one pays 10 cents or 10 dollars for a gallon, you base your life on that expense and dont expect it to change that drastically.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis