$3.50 a gallon? GMAFB

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Analysts are talking about gas prices hitting $3.50 a gallon this summer, after talks show the US is barely "tapping their brakes" with fuel consumption. Oil hit a record $72 a barrel yesterday.

I filled up two portable gas containers for my lawn tractor and mower recently. They were a 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon container. The total came to over $25! I'll need to cut back on the fertilizer and let the dandelions take over. :mad:

These prices are going to put the economy into another recession this summer, and retailers will blame almighty oil. The travel industry is in for another rude awakening.

I need a full size truck for my job, since two 24' and 28' ladders won't safely ride on a Honda Insight (or S10 for that matter). At $2.68 a gallon, it ran me $67 to fill my F150 25 gallon tank. If gas hits $3.50 a gallon, I'm looking at $88 a week! That $381 a month just for fuel. Add in insurance, upkeep/maintenance, and depreciation, and you're talking a mountian of money.

As if this isn't bad enough, think of the trucking industry. Everything arrives via truck, so that means just about everything goes up.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I certainly don't like high gas prices but here in the U.S. we should consider ourselves lucky. In Europe and Asia they pay the equivalent of $5 USD + per gallon.

I found THIS report by John Stossel to be quite interesting. Scroll down to myth #7.

My 1990 Honda Civic gets 42 MPG. Even so, it used to cost $10 to fill the tank a few years ago and that would get me 460 miles but now it's nearly $30.

~JC~

~JC~

Audioholic
inevitable.

The price of gas will rise, I doubt we will see $3 again. The cost of goods and sevices will simply go up to cover fuel costs.

I wonder what people were thinking 60 years ago, when they decided to move our country in a derection that would inevitably make us dependant on a fuel source that we can't produce is sufficient quantities. I suspect they could have cared less. Afterall they're all dead. :rolleyes: :mad:

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I know it hurts Buckeye. I remember buying a buck of gas as teenager (1965) for my TR3 (very used English sports car for $600, still can not believe my Father let get it). That was about 3 gallons. If I was short on cash I could nurse that for almost a week. Anyway back to the subject at hand. Taking inflation into account gas is not that high by historical standards. That being said, it hurt paying over $40 for a tank of premium when I last filled up.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
The American automakers are still producing more and more big SUV's and trucks. Ford and GM are in big financial trouble for more reasons than one. Their investment in gas guzzlers is one of them.

I have nothing against trucks, I love my 77 F-250, but at 8 MPG it is extremely expensive to drive, and therefore, sits in the driveway a lot. Many people need big vehicles for work and they will certainly be impacted by higher prices.

However, this excerpt from the article rases an interesting "proposition" that seems to be completely overlooked in our society by the public as well as the media:

But the reality is that the "record high gas prices" are a myth. The U.S. Department of Energy records show that when you adjust for inflation the price of gas is now lower than it's been for most of the twentieth century. Prices are lower now than they were 25 years ago. Yes, they price is up from the 1998 all time low of $1.19, but they are a dollar lower than they were in the early 1980s.

When I told this to people at the gas station they didn't believe me. And why should they? The media keep telling us about the record high prices — they're just not adjusting for inflation!
I also like the last few paragraphs:

I asked people to compare the price of gas to bottled water or ice cream you can buy inside the gas station. Most people were sure the gas was more expensive. But they're wrong.

If you took the average price of a bottle of water, a gallon would cost nearly $7. A gallon of Haagen Dazs ice cream would set you back nearly $30 — 15 times the price of gas.

And think about how much harder it is to produce gasoline.

First, oil has to be sucked out of the ground … sometimes from deep beneath an ocean or underneath ice or from the Middle East where workers risk their lives. And just to get to the oil often means the drill may have to bend and dig sideways through as many five miles of earth. What oil companies find then has to be delivered through long pipelines or shipped in monstrously expensive ships, then converted into three different formulas of gasoline, trucked in trucks that cost more than $100,000 and then your local gas station has to spend a fortune on safety devices to make sure you don't blow yourself up.

Gas is actually a bargain, not that you'll hear that from most of the media.
The raw dollar amounts of gas are at record highs. When you think about it, so is virtually everything else! Fifty years ago you could buy a candy bar for 10 cents. Now they're 5 times that. A new car in the 60's could be had for $2,000 or less. A fully loaded 26' Airstream Land Yacht could be had for a whopping $6,000. A new house could have bought for less than $20,000. I don't hear anyone complaining about those things. The most common mistakes is not adjusting for inflation!

Last edited:
Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
~JC~ said:
The price of gas will rise, I doubt we will see $3 again.\
I take it you haven't seen a gas station today? ($3.06 regular, $3.09 diesel, $3.25 premium here).

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
It's interesting that the analysis always includes 'inflation adjusted'. Note that this calculation is essentially the net present value using the inflation rate as the interest rate.

First of all, the true rate of inflation is vastly understated. The formula for the CPI for example has been changed a dozen times over the last few decades. Just look to the 'core' rate that makes the headlines. The core rate is basically the rate after you take out all of the stuff that went up in price. Another issue is 'substitution - if the price of steak increases, no problem, just substitute the price of chicken on the assumption that consumers will eat less beef and more chicken. 'Hedonic' price adjustments are more b.s.

Ignoring all that, adjusting backwards for the rate of inflation has absolutely NO MEANING FOR CONSUMERS TODAY! You are paid in today's dollars and spend today's dollars. The dollar has lost nearly 97% of its value since the institution of the Federal Reserve in 1913. We are now the world's largest debtor nation. Backwards adjusting for inflation is akin to reminiscing about 'the way it used to be'. At the end of the day, you are still broke bearing the higher costs.

By the way, no nation of earth has ever endured a deficit greater than 6% of GDP. We are currently at 7% and climbing rapidly. We are in the unique position of being the sole provider of the world's reserve currency, but history has shown that all fiat currencies eventually go to zero.

Just think how much more expensive everything will get when the dollar falls in value as it must to rebalance the world economy.

~JC~

~JC~

Audioholic
sorry

I meant that I doubt it will ever be that low again. Last summer was goodbye to $2, this summer is goodbye to $3. I suspect it will be $4 by the end of the year. If we can get Bush out of office before he bombs Iran, we might be able to keep it from getting to $10.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Ignoring all that, adjusting backwards for the rate of inflation has absolutely NO MEANING FOR CONSUMERS TODAY! You are paid in today's dollars and spend today's dollars.
Isn't that the point of adjusting for inflation? Being paid in 80's dollars, one would be paid less money. One would also be paying less money for gasoline. However, in 80's dollars, one would be paying a dollar more per gallon than we are today.

Regardless of how one feels, you have to take inflation into account when making comparisons. Otherwise it's just apples to oranges. Even if you drastically underestimate inflation, gas is still not all that expensive - historically speaking.

Would I like it to be cheaper? Heck yes. Can a US President make that happen? Sure, cut out the federal gas taxes which started at $0.01/gallon in 1932 and are now somewhere upwards of $0.18/gallon.

Add to that state taxes (started by Oregon in 1919 and immediately "bandwagoned" by every state in the union) which are upwards of $0.20-$0.30 in most states and you can see how we can pretty easily get gas back down if they wanted to. We're talking $0.50-$0.60/gallon in taxes. CHeck out the breakdown to see how high (greedy) your state is:

http://www.taxfoundation.org/UserFiles/Image/Fiscal Facts/gas-tax-690px.jpg

My guess is some "genius" will spot an opportunity and convert the gas taxes over to a percentage instead of a flat rate per gallon and we'll see another price jump spread across the country.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Today's dollars are worth less than yesterday's so you discount them back to the prior time and compare them to prices then. By that measure gas may be less expensive today than it used to be but it is still of no consequence to consumers today because you still have a fixed total of dollars to spend and it takes more of them to buy the things you need.

Factor in the fact that the dollars you previously saved are also worth less and you are really losing ground. That is the whole reason you need to earn a rate of return greater than the rate of inflation + loss to taxes just to MAINTAIN your current standard of living.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Hi Ho said:
I have nothing against trucks, I love my 77 F-250, but at 8 MPG it is extremely expensive to drive, and therefore, sits in the driveway a lot. Many people need big vehicles for work and they will certainly be impacted by higher prices.
[/i]!
I really need to drive a big truck for work as well, but try to drive the car as much as possible. Nearly my whole car allowance is now spent on gas. At least I get an allowance, though!
Hi Ho...buy a Chevy and double that 8 mpg. Crikes, I hope I don't get banned for Ford bashing:eek: It is a fact, though, that I can get 16 to 17 average on the old Chevy.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
The F-250 has a 460 V8, 473,000 miles, and needs a tune-up. It used to get around 15 MPG. I'm sure if I put some work into it I could get better milage out of it. That thing has never been in a garage and still looks like new. :)

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Well, my Chevy only has about half the miles, so you win on that! Mine is still all original as well, though. Nice looking truck! I scanned forward a couple of pics on the link...are those pics of the inside of your house!? Cool!

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah they are, and quite old, but not much has changed other than my theater system setup. That is a miscellaneous photo gallery where I used to dump pics for anything and everything. Now I use PhotoBucket as it is more flexible. I don't know what half the pics in my Webshots gallery were for anymore. :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi Ho said:
I.

I found THIS report by John Stossel to be quite interesting. Scroll down to myth #7.

OK. But what is that have to do with the price of tea in China:D

Who said it must keep up with inflation? Perhaps out DVD players should too? Or any electronics, for that matter.
I am sure there are other consumer commodity that is below inflation. How about airfares?

The cost to get it out of the ground is next to nothing. The commodity markets drive the price sky high.
But, my question is, does the cartel really sell at the daily commodity prices, or on contract? And speculators are in the driver seat? Fear?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

~JC~ said:
The price of gas will rise, I doubt we will see $3 again. The cost of goods and sevices will simply go up to cover fuel costs.

I wonder what people were thinking 60 years ago, when they decided to move our country in a derection that would inevitably make us dependant on a fuel source that we can't produce is sufficient quantities. I suspect they could have cared less. Afterall they're all dead. :rolleyes: :mad:

What did we do in 1974 when everyone stood in line??? Not much to better prepare the country for another shortage.

What did Brazil do??? They will be independent this year of imports and just about every car is on sugar ethenol, not corn.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Brazil!!!

Why are they so smart and we did nothing??? They are about independent this year.

Didn't learn from history of 1974, if I remember correctly:D There is a saying about that.

Will we learn today, or we have a short memory.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Guess what? The US has it better then anyone else.

We pay 1.20 a liter.

That works out to 4.50 a gallon.

Stop your boo hooing.

SheepStar

PHYSTRAINER

PHYSTRAINER

Audioholic Intern
All of you can be quiet as far as i am concerned. We pay $1.72.9 cents per litre and we will see $2.00 before the end of the year.:eek: Thanks Mr Bush, why dont they give him a gun and send his *** out to fight.:D The ripples are felt worldwide whenever the yank opens his big mouth:mad: (no offence to the peeps from the states intended)When will it stop:(
And don't get me started on the USA and their huge production of greenhouse gasses and pollution along with their excessive production of vehicles that are 5.0litres plus that weigh as much as a whale and use stupid amounts of that valuable commodity we are all moaning about.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis