$3.50 a gallon? GMAFB

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
PHYSTRAINER said:
All of you can be quiet as far as i am concerned. We pay $1.72.9 cents per litre and we will see $2.00 before the end of the year.:eek: Thanks Mr Bush, why dont they give him a gun and send his *** out to fight.:D The ripples are felt worldwide whenever the yank opens his big mouth:mad: (no offence to the peeps from the states intended)When will it stop:(
And don't get me started on the USA and their huge production of greenhouse gasses and pollution along with their excessive production of vehicles that are 5.0litres plus that weigh as much as a whale and use stupid amounts of that valuable commodity we are all moaning about.
I hope this does not qualify as a personal attack, but this post is just plain moronic. Should We Americans respond with shame ? Should we remind you that you would be speaking either German or Russian if not for us ? Do you need a reminder that Canada has done precisely squat in the war on terror ?

A

Ajax

Audioholic
Don't know if your post qualifies as a personal attack, but I consider the one upon which you commented as an attack, and a fairly nonsensical one at that.

While I am appalled by the suburban U.S.housewife who owns a gas guzzling SUV and only uses it to run errands and go to the grocery, I would remind that poster that the gas guzzling SUV which the North-of-the-U.S.-border housewife drives to her grocery emits just as much greenhouse gas as the one South of the border.

The U.S. has a much larger population, with proportionally more gas guzzling vehicles. So, are there more greenhouse gasses emitted in the U.S.? Well DUH! :)

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Sheep said:
Guess what? The US has it better then anyone else.

We pay 1.20 a liter.

That works out to 4.50 a gallon.

Stop your boo hooing.

SheepStar
Canada doesn't count. They enjoy the second largest oil reserves, yet because of the type of economy, tax the living daylights out of everyone. Enjoy your free heathcare. ;)

Taken from CAA (Canadian Automobile Association)
"Gasoline is already one of the most highly taxed products that Canadians use every day, accounting for almost 50 per cent of the retail gasoline pump price."

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
(CBS/AP) 4-20-06 9:13am

Oil prices hit a record high of $72.49 Thursday after weekly data showed a drop in U.S. gasoline stocks, raising worries that refiners don't have an adequate inventory cushion ahead of the peak summer driving season.

Traders also are anxious that U.S.-led efforts to stop Iran, OPEC's second-largest member, from pursuing a suspected nuclear weapons program could lead to a disruption in Persian Gulf oil supplies.

Gasoline prices were soaring all over the country, passing $3.00 a gallon, and in some places, even $4.00.

"The market is sizzling!" said Victor Shum, energy analyst at Purvin & Gertz in Singapore. "The gasoline stockdraw was large and it has raised concerns over gasoline supply in the U.S., which is really what's behind the price surge."

"Unrest in the Middle East, the price goes up. Local supply issues, the price goes up. Just basically, anything burps, and the price goes up," Seattle independent station owner Harold Hezel told Chris Filippi of CBS radio affiliate KIRO-AM (audio). He's charging $3.26 a gallon for regular.

Gasoline inventories typically decrease this time of year as refiners shut down their plants to perform maintenance ahead of the summer driving season.

There is additional worry about summer gasoline supplies because of the prospect of tight supplies of ethanol, which is needed in increasing amounts as refiners phase out their use of methyl tertiary butyl ether, or MTBE, which has been found to contaminate drinking water.
This site is useful in finding lower gas prices. It's always the west side of town that has the best pricing, and of course, I live on the northeast side. It's amazing you can save .30 cents a gallon on the other side of town.
http://www.columbusgasprices.com/

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
I filled up two portable gas containers for my lawn tractor and mower recently. They were a 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon container. The total came to over $25! I'll need to cut back on the fertilizer and let the dandelions take over. :mad:
sucks, and there's nothing you can do about it, so I don't get overly excited when I fill up my car (but thankfuly it's a small Acura Integra - so a full tank is just shy of $28)

but thanks for the reminder.. I'd rather fill up my lawnmower at 2.75 then 3.50 later this summer when I run out of gas in my portable tanks!

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
There are a few ways you can attempt to decrease the amount of fuel you use.

First is if you do a lot of short trips, like the 5 block trip to blockbuster....just get a cheap bicycle, something reliable like a beach cruiser, and go bike there....it's going to use less gas, you won't have to find a parking space (just chain it up to a signpost), and you'll get some fresh air and excersie while at it.

Next, keep your car well-maintained....do your regular oil changes, swap out your air filter when dirty (no need for a K&N or other exotics...OEM replacment is best), and don't forget your plugs and wires when the time arrives...it could net you a gallon or two in fuel economy, but better yet, can also prolong the life of your engine.

Finally....don't be a pedal masher...accelrate smoothly, and stop smoothly...it will improve fuel economy quite a bit...there is an optimal acceleration rate for each vehicle as well as an optimal brkaing rate....find out what this is for your car and learn to abide by it. This can make for huge gains in economy.

Last...for those who work close to home and is reasonably doable, consider bicycling to work on the good days...seriously....excerise, fresh air, and a few less gallons used. Just remember to keep a good solid lock...bike thieves are more prevalent than you would think.

We don't have to be slaves to fuel prices...we just have to learn to be a bit wiser in how we use our vehicles.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
craigsub said:
I hope this does not qualify as a personal attack, but this post is just plain moronic. Should We Americans respond with shame ? Should we remind you that you would be speaking either German or Russian if not for us ? Do you need a reminder that Canada has done precisely squat in the war on terror ?
Canada did its part in important wars.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Next, keep your car well-maintained....do your regular oil changes, swap out your air filter when dirty (no need for a K&N or other exotics...OEM replacement is best), and don't forget your plugs and wires when the time arrives...it could net you a gallon or two in fuel economy, but better yet, can also prolong the life of your engine.
Actually, keeping your tires properly inflated will do more then all those combined. And to add to that, change your transmission fluid regularly. Everyone neglects the tranny, and its the most important one.

A tip for winter (If you have heavily salted and sanded roads), take your car to a car wash with under carriage jets. This will help get all the sand and salt off the drive-train and any other important part under your car.

SheepStar

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Great advice. Something else that may help out - change the oxygen sensor(s) after 100,000 miles. There's also a sensor on many vehicles inline to the air filter. If these sensors are dirty, they can affect the computer and efficiency of the engine. A dirty fuel filter can make the car run lean.

I like Sheeps idea about tire inflation. That's huge. Next, a basic tune up definitely helps, making sure to change all the filters and sensors at certain miles. I like to run my truck on synthetic oil. I'm not sure I get better mileage, but I've read I'll get extended life out of the engine. For $20 more per oil change, it's a drop in the bucket compared to a weekly gas fill up.

If big oil is going to stick it to us, we can stick it to the car dealerships by keeping our vehicles running better, longer (no offense Craig). Not having a car payment really makes up for those huge bills at the pump. Higher gas prices may do just that - slow down new car purchases.

B

BMO

Junior Audioholic
On the not so bright side for us Mexifornians, California will be implimenting there new EPA regs for diesel. This will push diesel to $4 a gallon. All new Diesel rigs sold here will also have at least a $ 6,000.00 added cost due for the means to burn this new diesel .
As I have spent lots of money to get my CTD to get 21.5 MPG empty, I will now spend more for additives to put back into my fuel they are going to take out.Maybee 13.5 MPG of clean fuel is better that 21.5 of, not as clean. I'll opt for longer engine life, increased mpg, and confort of knowing I'm going to get where I'm headed.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
And to add to that, change your transmission fluid regularly.
Hahaha, I'm embarassed to admit that the transmission oil in my 1990 Civic has never been changed, still the original fluid after 340,000 miles. :eek:

Something else that may help out - change the oxygen sensor(s) after 100,000 miles.
I recently changed the oxygen sensor (at about 310,000) the old one obviously wasn't working because when I put in the new one it suddenly started idling smoother and gets even better milage.

PHYSTRAINER

PHYSTRAINER

Audioholic Intern
It was not a personal attack:eek: , it was however a personal opinion. I can't resolve the many issues that plague our world but keeping your nose outta other peoples crap would help us to smell the amazing world we live in. I hate wars and killing as i see no need for people to kill each other and others to die for a bull**** cause.
I am naive i know and there is alot at play i dont see or choose to ignore :p but i just want to live a good life and trying to change a people that have murdered each other for centuries is a foolish quest and many more will die and still no end will come.:mad:
I feel for all the bad that has come from this war on terror as so many more have died, and still after years we are no closer to a resolution. God bless all those that fight in something they beleive is good and just, but no war is or ever will be a good enough reason for people to kill for or die for (IMO).Forget not the straving millions around the world that have nothing bullets,grenades and other such devices could provide for a whole country of starving people. Give life do not take it.

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
Switch to Diesel

We'll be following Europe with more diesel vehicles on the road.

The Big Three all have diesels lined up as options in the next two years for small cars all the way to minivans, it won't be large pickup trucks anymore.

If diesel options will be offered in North American, I for one will definitely be interested.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Diesel still comes from oil (unless it's bio-diesel) and lately it has been more expensive than gasoline.

If they can ever figure out that hydrogen thing, that looks like the best way to go. It's future is unclear though.

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
Hi Ho said:
Diesel still comes from oil (unless it's bio-diesel) and lately it has been more expensive than gasoline.

If they can ever figure out that hydrogen thing, that looks like the best way to go. It's future is unclear though.
you are right, Diesel is not a cure all are, in some demographic areas it maybe more expensive than gasoline but you can achieve better mileage.

You could easily put a smaller diesel motor in a sedan, get more mileage and still have great performance because of the the low end RPM of where all that torque comes nice and handy during stop and go traffic.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, when I was traveling in Europe, I stayed with a British family. They had a Ford minivan, but it was 4cyl Diesel. It had more power than most American 6cyl vans.

PHYSTRAINER

PHYSTRAINER

Audioholic Intern
Yes indeed, one of the best dog's i have ever owned and certainly the most gentle caring animal i have ever seen. A complete wuss (all 60odd kilo's) and most people crossed the street when they saw you coming. Funny how people fear things by the way they look aye.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis