M

massacre

Audioholic Intern
hi all do I need 2 20 amp outlets to run my gear or is one enough? Yamaha 3070 65 Samsung 5 and 7 channel monolith amps
2 svs pb300 4k player ps4 and media pc thanks!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
hi all do I need 2 20 amp outlets to run my gear or is one enough? Yamaha 3070 65 Samsung 5 and 7 channel monolith amps
It all depends on several factors, such as the sensitivity of your speakers, your listening distance from the main front speakers, the type of music or movie sound tracks you listen to, and finally how loud you usually like to listen to your system.

In my opinion, one 20 amp circuit should normally be sufficient, unless you listen to highly compressed audio sources at high SPL, or you use the all channel stereo feature which necessitates higher power demand for all speakers.

You can calculate how much amplifier power you need to drive your front speakers to your average volume with the following link:

Last edited:
M

massacre

Audioholic Intern
I do like running all channel stereo and I am an enthusiast that likes to rock the house!
the speakers are rbh impression series 2 towers 1 center and 8 surround speakers.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Unless you have huge amplifiers, an Audio Engineering Society expert suggests running everything on one circuit.
If you have a large home theater system, run a feeder to a 6 breaker box in/near the room.
And even with huge amps, you can still run everything on one circuit, if you turn the amps on one at a time.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Keep in mind that Verdinut was talking about a 20-amp circuit, while you are talking about outlets. Changing the existing wall plug to a 20-amp will accomplish nothing and, depending on the wiring in the wall, could be against building codes, not to mention dangerous.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
The only difference between a 15 Amp and a 20 Amp receptacle is only what plugs may be inserted. Internally both are the same, the 15A ones have the same amount of copper so that they can be used in 20A circuits.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
On the related topic.

You need to rewire (running 20A through a 15A-rated wire run is a fire hazard).
You need to change out the breaker (or you'll trip at 15A regardless)
I'd also change the plug. I cannot dispute Speedskater's comment as I don't know, but I'd be hesitant to using something not expressly designed for purpose.

If I was doing all that, I'd likely consider 240v as well. Most amps will take 240.

M

massacre

Audioholic Intern
i am putting two 20 amp brakers in the box and running 2 runs of 12/2 to the theater room. its close to the garage and easy to access. so with all the gear is it worth the time to have the headroom. planning on adding a projector
also. cant find a single gang power outlet with hdmi.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Keep in mind that Verdinut was talking about a 20-amp circuit, while you are talking about outlets. Changing the existing wall plug to a 20-amp will accomplish nothing and, depending on the wiring in the wall, could be against building codes, not to mention dangerous.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Not 'could be', it's definitely a code violation because a 20A device could be connected to a 15A circuit. The only thing worse would be to change the breaker to one rated for 20A and not using heavier wire.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
i am putting two 20 amp brakers in the box and running 2 runs of 12/2 to the theater room. its close to the garage and easy to access. so with all the gear is it worth the time to have the headroom. planning on adding a projector
also. cant find a single gang power outlet with hdmi.
Power (high voltage) and AV signals (low voltage) can't be in the same junction box or conduit unless the box has an approved divider or the low voltage is in its own conduit and that's not an efficient or inexpensive way to run wiring. If you want/need these to be next to each other and will be using an HDMI that's long enough to reach the equipment without having a redundant connector on the wall (always better to avoid using an additional connection), Arlington sells a dual high/low voltage part with a junction box for the power and a trim ring for low voltage.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
The only difference between a 15 Amp and a 20 Amp receptacle is only what plugs may be inserted. Internally both are the same, the 15A ones have the same amount of copper so that they can be used in 20A circuits.
Correct. The main potential issue would be adding a 20-amp outlet to a 15-amp circuit. That would allow someone to plug in a device that had a 20-amp draw with the in-wall wiring not of sufficient gauge to handle the current.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
OK
Only 15 Amp receptacles are permitted on a 15 Amp circuit.
Both/either 15 & 20 Amp receptacles are permitted on a 20 Amp circuit.
The copper inside a 15 Amp receptacle is the same size as the copper in a 20 Amp receptacle, because receptacles are often wired daisy-chain style from one to the next.
20 Amp plugs can only plug into 20 Amp receptacles.

But 20 Amp plugs are not very common.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Correct. From what I've seen, if you see a 20-amp plug it's typically a dedicated line with nothing but that outlet in the circuit. But then, it's a big world and I've only been to a few places. :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
What's weird is my house has nothing but 20a breakers. All wire is rated for 20a breakers and outlets. The only outlets that are 20a are the ones for my fridge, garage freezer, and washer. None of those things require 20a breakers.

I had two 20a breakers installed for use of two outlets for my HT. Both have 15a plugs. Weird.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I ran 12g that’s rated for 20 amps
My system consists of two separate 20 amp circuits, each run is approx 25-30' from breaker box. I utilized 10/2 wire for each run. One circuit is just for my amps.

I've been told that it also makes sense to isolate all 'noise making' devices to one of the legs in your breaker box, has anyone done that ?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My system consists of two separate 20 amp circuits, each run is approx 25-30' from breaker box. I utilized 10/2 wire for each run. One circuit is just for my amps.

I've been told that it also makes sense to isolate all 'noise making' devices to one of the legs in your breaker box, has anyone done that ?
It would make negligible difference. Both legs comes from the same transformer (a centered tapped single phase transformer) and feeder anyway. Also, the electrician(s) who did the installation has to follow codes and best practice that require them to try and balance the load on the two "legs", so even if you believe in the negligible benefits, it would be very difficult to put the "noisiest/dirtiest" loads on one leg anyway.

Another thing is, the 230/240 V load such as the drier and electric range are connected across the two legs, they both could draw heavy currents, and spill "dirt" too in some cases.

1586362829952.png

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
OK
Only 15 Amp receptacles are permitted on a 15 Amp circuit.
Both/either 15 & 20 Amp receptacles are permitted on a 20 Amp circuit.
The copper inside a 15 Amp receptacle is the same size as the copper in a 20 Amp receptacle, because receptacles are often wired daisy-chain style from one to the next.
20 Amp plugs can only plug into 20 Amp receptacles.
I suspect it's not just about the copper.

Because of the recepticle, only <=15A devices are plugged into 15A receptacles... so even if the circuit is 20A, there won't be a 20A draw through the receptacle. At most: a small portion will have to deal with 20A (though I suspect that the wire is unbroken in the daisy chain, so the outlet actually deals with 0A of what's down-stream.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis