2022 Denon av-receiver models leaked

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
A $1700 msrp Denon AVR with preamp-mode, 7.2.4 CH Processor, 4 Independent Subs, XT32 plus DL upgrade. Very promising.

Next step up gotta be Class-D NC amps to keep everything cool.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
A $1700 msrp Denon AVR with preamp-mode, 7.2.4 CH Processor, XT32 plus DL upgrade. Very promising.

Next step up gotta Class-D NC amps to keep everything cool.
Another next step should be a switching power supply providing more power than with the large transformers, and leaving more space for circulation between Class D power amp modules for longer reliability.

T

TheAVInsider

Junior Audioholic
X3800H already jumped $200? Seems there's more than one side to this story. Like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

The real story will be whether the "new" pre-amp mode will be addressable down to the channel level.

Say, if I already own a 7X200W external amplifier, and all I want from a new AVR is enough internal amps to run my tops.

Can I shut off just 7 of those internal amps, while the remainder stay hot?

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So the X3800 already has 11CH processing. That probably means the x4800 or x6800 will be 9.4.6.
I thought you know that even the AVR-X3600H and X3700H has 11 CH processing so not new on that one.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I hope so too and that would be an excellent reason to use Denon avr as prepro (so called separate)because the typically deep discount available shortly, to say several months of the launch of a replacement model. That said, this time may be different due to supply chain created shortages, so there may not be too many X700H left to justify fire sales.

The Marantz SR7013 and 7012 had been on sale for less than USD900 a couple times on Amazon, the first time I saw an equivalent Marantz AVR priced below Denon's. I believe that was sometime in late 2019 earlier 2020. I think you can still google some of those reports on redflagdeals.

Just found one example, and that's Canadian dollars and iirc it had gone even lower than that and not just BB, Amazon too.

[Best Buy] Marantz SR7013 Receiver $1199 (Save $1800) - Page 2 - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

You can't get such deals on AV processors (the separates route).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for this great news, a very useful/informative preview too, that I hate because it may make me change my mind on the AVM70 and might stay firmly on the AVR camp.

Another thing, I thought I would never say this but can no longer resist...., that is, if the $1,700 list price for the AVR-X3800H is real, why would anyone go for the Marantz equivalent (if there is one) for over $1,000 more.

The HDAM buffer (yes that is an unity gain buffer, not a harmonic or tone control generator) that is in series with at least 1 or 2 mediocre OPA such as the NJM8080 they used in even the AV8805A and AVR-X8500H, and the same volume control ICs, any assumed superiority of the discrete HDAM buffer will not effectively improve THD+N and slew rate any better than the Denon's that skip the extra HDAM buffer.

So that leaves ownership pride (being told by United Sound) Marantz is their upscale product, gold plated connectors and the port hole the only valid reasons but no sonic reasons. Oh there used to be one more, the multichannel inputs but apparently that's been eliminated on the Marantz side except perhaps the flagship model.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for this great news, a very useful/informative preview too, that I hate because it may make me change my mind on the AVM70 and might stay firmly on the AVR camp.

Another thing, I thought I would never say this but can no longer resist...., that is, if the $1,700 list price for the AVR-X3800H is real, why would anyone go for the Marantz equivalent (if there is one) for over $1,000 more.

The HDAM buffer (yes that is an unity gain buffer, not a harmonic or tone control generator) that is in series with at least 1 or 2 mediocre OPA such as the NJM8080 they used in even the AV8805A and AVR-X8500H, and the same volume control ICs, any assumed superiority of the discrete HDAM buffer will not effectively improve THD+N and slew rate any better than the Denon's that skip the extra HDAM buffer.

So that leaves ownership pride (being told by United Sound) Marantz is their upscale product, gold plated connectors and the port hole the only valid reasons but no sonic reasons. Oh there used to be one more, the multichannel inputs but apparently that's been eliminated on the Marantz side except perhaps the flagship model.
There is a great reason companies spend millions on marketing and internet hearsay. :D

Marantz has been marketed forever as the high-end, not Denon.

Separates have been marketed (and thanks to internet opinions) as being the best.

Dirac has been marketed (and thanks to internet opinions) as possibly being the best.

I have a client who keeps on reminding me that if a ”professional reviewer” says so, then it must be true! :eek: :D

Pride of ownership is such a wide general term, but I think it is the salient factor for everything in life. It is different for everyone and it changes over time.

Pride of ownership could just be features like 4 independent subs, Dirac or 9.4.6CH or something else like SINAD/THD+D. Just different for everyone.

Some people may assume that if money-no-object, every audiophile would always choose separates over AVR. Some may think we choose THD+N/ SINAD numbers over brands and everything else. :D

But the fact is, it just comes down to pride of ownership. :D

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I have a couple of questions for @PENG

How long do you think it will be important for you to continue your narrative on this forum, or the others forums you have frequented recently?
How many people do you wish to reach by continuing to say the same repetitive sentiments over and over again?
Is it of any surprise that comments like yours have forced the hand of Marantz, to move away from the core ownership group that supported them for generations?
Is it of any surprise that they are moving upmarket to separate themselves from the technical groups that continue to devalue their product?
Are you actually even aware of the fact that by continuing to repeat these comments over and over again, that you are influencing the entire industry to move away from the core that even you suggest you are still a part of?
What is your real objective in continuing with the narrative at this time?

I have heard what you have to say, your narrative, and I don't know how continuing to repeat this is helping anything, or anyone really. Certainly Marantz has heard your point and others already on their older products. You know nothing about the new products, in context of your past sentiments, as all of your "subjective" thoughts seem to have been derived from technical research based off of current and older gen products. Maybe it's time for you and your "team" to reserve judgement of unreleased products for a later date.
I think @PENG is spot on and I believe he does not feel he is a member of the marketing department of D&M.

If you’re looking for shilling for the AV industry you might look elsewhere.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I think it would be pretty premature to commit to a flipping RUMOR. So many are angry and flipping out on another forum over a "leak" that may have no basis in reality (Photoshop fakes anyone?), namely the price structure that makes zero sense.

So they're going to offer a good deal on the Denon X3800H, but ask people to bend over for the exact same model with the Marantz name on it? There's always been a small price difference, but come on. Marantz doesn't exactly have the best reputation anymore with people whining about HDAM (that used to be a selling point like 30 years ago) and now 7.1 inputs are gone (That was the main reason I paid $200 more for Marantz over Denon). Only an idiot would pay thousands more for a name plate with otherwise identical innards other than jumpering for inferior HDAM and a flipping porthole.

So I can conclude either it's leaked BS or the new owners are even stupider than the people they expect to pay twice as much for a nameplate.

U

Uncle_Big_Green

Audioholic Intern
The only known instance of trickle down that actually works?
"Trickle down" is a term invented by an economic illiterate. Its main fallacy is the notion that the "pie" is fixed in size. This stuff belongs in the Steam Vent. Now we can continue with useful discussion on Denon's product. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis