20 Albums You Should Own, But Probably Don't

T

tonyspizza

Enthusiast
Rage Against the Machine (Self Titled)
Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empire
311 - Transistor/Soundsystem/Chao. Not a huge fan of every album, but I like songs out of each
Stone Temple Pilot - Purple
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar / Californication
Ohio Players - Honey/Fire
Daft Punk - Homework / Discovery
Jodeci
Third Eye Blind - I like a couple albums, can't remember the names atm

That's what immediately comes to mind, with 311 being the only band in my list where I don't like the majority of the album. For me their songs are hit and miss.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Santana Moonflower
Best live lp or cd ever IMHO.
One of my favorites, have a promo LP (not for sale) from their marketing department, I was doing logistics work for them at the time, that I nearly wore out until I got the cd....

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
One of my favorites, have a promo LP (not for sale) from their marketing department, I was doing logistics work for them at the time, that I nearly wore out until I got the cd....
Yep I pretty much wore out my LP that I bought in 1979. Don't even have it anymore but I do have the cd.You do have good taste in music sir. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep I pretty much wore out my LP that I bought in 1979. Don't even have it anymore but I do have the cd.You do have good taste in music sir. :)
Still have the lp, too :) Might need to pull it out now :)

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
I didn't go through all 17 pages, but the 1 I'll add is:

Cyberpunk ~Billy Idol

His last studio album of the early 1990s, and a 12 year hiatus followed. Definitely not what you'd expect out of the man that gave us White Wedding, Rebel Yell, and Flesh for Fantasy. It's a trippy, eclectic concept album that sounds (mostly) nothing like anything he'd done before. I love it.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I have a list of my own that is more or less the soundtrack to my life. Everyone has their own "must own" albums for sure. Lists are really half for testing equipment and the other half is for jamming in your car. My entire list is jamming in my car. :)

Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare
The Crystal Method - Vegas
Pearl Jam - Ten
Kiss - Kiss
The Beatles - Rubber Soul
Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King
Prince - Purple Rain
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Metallica - And Justice For All
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
Ghost - Meliora
Duran Duran - Duran Duran 1981
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

and so on and so on...

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
1. Deep Purple- In Rock
2. Beatles- White Album
3. The Who- Quadrophenia
4. Buffalo Springfield- Again
5. Wishbone Ash- Argus
6. King Crimson- In The Court of The Crimson King/ Red. It's a tie
7. Frank Zappa- Hot Rats
8. Yes- Fragile
9. Jellyfish- Spilt Milk
10. Daniel Amos- Motorcycle
11. Steely Dan- The Royal Scam
12. Jethro Tull- Thick As Brick
13. The Rolling Stones- Exile On Main Street
14. Pink Floyd- Meddle
15. Fleetwood Mac- Then Play On
16. The Doors- Strange Days
17. Alice Cooper- Killer
18. Todd Rundgren- A Wizard, A True Star
19. Genesis- Foxtrot
20. Emerson Lake & Palmer- Brain Salad Surgery

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
01.Kate Bush - The Dreaming
02.David Bowie - Low
03.Thomas Dolby - The Flat Earth
04.Peter Gabriel - Melt
05.Genesis - Foxtrot
06.Natalie Merchant - Ophelia
07.Frank Zappa - You Are What You Is
08.Bill Nelson - Noise Candy
09.Iggy Pop - Lust For Life
10.Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure
11.Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets
12.10cc - Sheet Music
13.Talking Heads - Fear Of Music
14.The Chills - Soft Bomb
15.T.Rex - The Slider
16.Paul Simon - Paul Simon
17.Oingo Boingo - Nothing To Fear
18.ABC - The Lexicon Of Love
19.David Lynch - Crazy Clown Time
20.Laurie Anderson - Strange Angels

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
01.Kate Bush - The Dreaming
02.David Bowie - Low
03.Thomas Dolby - The Flat Earth
04.Peter Gabriel - Melt
05.Genesis - Foxtrot
06.Natalie Merchant - Ophelia
07.Frank Zappa - You Are What You Is
08.Bill Nelson - Noise Candy
09.Iggy Pop - Lust For Life
10.Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure
11.Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets
12.10cc - Sheet Music
13.Talking Heads - Fear Of Music
14.The Chills - Soft Bomb
15.T.Rex - The Slider
16.Paul Simon - Paul Simon
17.Oingo Boingo - Nothing To Fear
18.ABC - The Lexicon Of Love
19.David Lynch - Crazy Clown Time
20.Laurie Anderson - Strange Angels
10cc. Sheet Music is a Great pic. Low by Bowie and Roxy Music too. I need 300.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Great thread I just discovered. 20 should own but probably don’t, so not my 20 favorites that many will have but more obscure.

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies. machine gun - greatest guitar solo ever in Rolling Stone poll.

Jeff Beck - Live with the Jan Hammer Group. Darkness in search of the sun - test out your subs. Blue Wind and Freeway Jam are Beck at his best. Saw him 3 years later and my ears are still ringing.

Ten Years After - A Space in Time. I’d love to change the world. Just came out with the 50th anniversary edition with original and remixed versions.

The WHO - Odds and Sods. A better version of Love Ain’t for Keeping. It all looks fine to the Naked Eye but it don’t really happen that way at all.

Mark Knopfler - Golden Heart. His 1st solo album. So many musical styles. Put this one on at a party and half way through people will ask - who is this?

Robin Trower - Live!. Too rolling stoned.

Grateful Dead - Wake of the Flood. Coming out with the 50th anniversary version. Half-step Mississippi uptown Toodeloo Hello baby hello and goodbye half a cup of rock and rye fair well to you on southern skies I’m on my way.

Gary Moore - After Hours. Wailing blues guitar. Still Got the Blues too.

Jimi Hendrix Experience - box set deluxe reissue. Smoking versions of Spanish Castle Magic and Hear my Train A Coming. If you like his studio albums check out the rarities on this boxed set.

Joe Bonamassa - British Blues Explosion live. Killer covers by arguably the fastest gun in the west. See him live. It’s a moral imperative!

Robert Cray - Midnight Stroll. Just saw him this summer and his voice is still silky smooth 50 years in.

‘Prelude - Deodato. Also Sprach Zarathustra. The theme for 2001: a space odyssey.

Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus. Get the 8 disc reissue with full concerts from the UK and DC. A great boogie woogie band and Lowell George’s slide guitar is sublime.

Jerry Garcia - Garcia. His 1st solo album. Songs that became mainstays of the Dead’s live shows.

The Jeff Henley Band - Hell to Pay. I think I love you too much with Mark Knopfler. Killer cover of While my guitar gently weeps.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. Aquatarkus is Keith Emerson at his best.

Jethro Tull - Benefit. To Cry You a Song. Before they blew up with Aqualung.

Pete Townsend and Ronnie Lane - Rough Mix. 2 old friends trading songs.

Traffic - Shootout at the Fantasy Factory. The album after Low Spark of high-heeled Boys. Roll Right Stones.

Peter Frampton - All Blues. He reminds us he was always an amazing guitar player and singer. Killer cover of You Can’t Judge a Book by It’s Cover.

That’s 20. Now back to Who’s Next Lifehouse super deluxe box set. Pete Townshend’s demos are a revelation.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Great thread I just discovered. 20 should own but probably don’t, so not my 20 favorites that many will have but more obscure.

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies. machine gun - greatest guitar solo ever in Rolling Stone poll.

Jeff Beck - Live with the Jan Hammer Group. Darkness in search of the sun - test out your subs. Blue Wind and Freeway Jam are Beck at his best. Saw him 3 years later and my ears are still ringing.

Ten Years After - A Space in Time. I’d love to change the world. Just came out with the 50th anniversary edition with original and remixed versions.

The WHO - Odds and Sods. A better version of Love Ain’t for Keeping. It all looks fine to the Naked Eye but it don’t really happen that way at all.

Mark Knopfler - Golden Heart. His 1st solo album. So many musical styles. Put this one on at a party and half way through people will ask - who is this?

Robin Trower - Live!. Too rolling stoned.

Grateful Dead - Wake of the Flood. Coming out with the 50th anniversary version. Half-step Mississippi uptown Toodeloo Hello baby hello and goodbye half a cup of rock and rye fair well to you on southern skies I’m on my way.

Gary Moore - After Hours. Wailing blues guitar. Still Got the Blues too.

Jimi Hendrix Experience - box set deluxe reissue. Smoking versions of Spanish Castle Magic and Hear my Train A Coming. If you like his studio albums check out the rarities on this boxed set.

Joe Bonamassa - British Blues Explosion live. Killer covers by arguably the fastest gun in the west. See him live. It’s a moral imperative!

Robert Cray - Midnight Stroll. Just saw him this summer and his voice is still silky smooth 50 years in.

‘Prelude - Deodato. Also Sprach Zarathustra. The theme for 2001: a space odyssey.

Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus. Get the 8 disc reissue with full concerts from the UK and DC. A great boogie woogie band and Lowell George’s slide guitar is sublime.

Jerry Garcia - Garcia. His 1st solo album. Songs that became mainstays of the Dead’s live shows.

The Jeff Henley Band - Hell to Pay. I think I love you too much with Mark Knopfler. Killer cover of While my guitar gently weeps.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. Aquatarkus is Keith Emerson at his best.

Jethro Tull - Benefit. To Cry You a Song. Before they blew up with Aqualung.

Pete Townsend and Ronnie Lane - Rough Mix. 2 old friends trading songs.

Traffic - Shootout at the Fantasy Factory. The album after Low Spark of high-heeled Boys. Roll Right Stones.

Peter Frampton - All Blues. He reminds us he was always an amazing guitar player and singer. Killer cover of You Can’t Judge a Book by It’s Cover.

That’s 20. Now back to Who’s Next Lifehouse super deluxe box set. Pete Townshend’s demos are a revelation.
Good list. The original Little Feat we're a great live band. Saw that lineup 3 times. And ELP. I found out years later I was at that show. Anaheim Convention Center. I actually met Keith Emerson at a NAMM show that was held there. Traffic, Tull, Trower all great albums. Beck, Hendrix, The Who. Great stuff.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Good list. The original Little Feat we're a great live band. Saw that lineup 3 times. And ELP. I found out years later I was at that show. Anaheim Convention Center. I actually met Keith Emerson at a NAMM show that was held there. Traffic, Tull, Trower all great albums. Beck, Hendrix, The Who. Great stuff.
Thanks I saw ELP on the Works tour and again on their reunion tour. Cool you got to meet Keith. My step dad played keyboards and he loved Keith’s playing and he turned me onto their 1st album. Sad ending RIP Keith and Greg Lake.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks I saw ELP on the Works tour and again on their reunion tour. Cool you got to meet Keith. My step dad played keyboards and he loved Keith’s playing and he turned me onto their 1st album. Sad ending RIP Keith and Greg Lake.
From the Beginning was and is one of my favorite songs of all time. Sends chills on a good system.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
So true.

Attachments

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
From the Beginning was and is one of my favorite songs of all time. Sends chills on a good system.
Amazing song. Trilogy is a lost gem. Loved the Variety in their music from Lake’s guitar ballads to piano concertos to synthesizer, bass and drum rockers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis