18” down-firing EGG shaped sub build…

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Keep the sub progress pics coming.

I have recently started using a french press for coffee. I really think the results are far superior to any drip method, and you can used it for tea too.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
It's going to be sturdy as h.ll. It's got to be close to a 100 pounds already. Wonder how I'll get it upstairs once it's done.:eek:

French press is the way to go. I've never had better. But my Cuisinart comes very close. It has a Burr grinder built in. It grinds the beans and brews it all in one shot. Talk about fresh.
Roasting my own beans would be the next step. Seems like too much work though.:D

Enjoy the pics. Sorry about the quality. Wifey will be home with the camera tomorrow night. This cam corder just doesn't cut it.

Ok. I'm off to buy more glue and finishing nails.:cool:

Last edited:
gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Cool stuff!

How does the driver sit? Will it have legs?

I drink fresh ground Kona coffee also! I buy it directly from a grower on the Kona coast and he ships it over. :)
Yes. It will have 4 legs, 3 inches high that I made from one of the rings. You might be able to make them out from one of the latest pics.

I looooooooooooove Kona.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It is starting to come along.
It certainly is and I'm also looking forward to the smug gloat of the DIY'er.
Don't even bother holding back ... first thing you want to do is insult all commercial subs as inferior to your huevo scrambler. :D

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
It certainly is and I'm also looking forward to the smug gloat of the DIY'er.
Don't even bother holding back ... first thing you want to do is insult all commercial subs as inferior to your huevo scrambler. :D
Smug?
Gloat?
Who me?

I will stuff it though...

Last edited:
gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Where are the clamps?
The clamps couldn't make the turn. There is another few pounts of screws, glues and finishing nails though.
Progress has been made, but I'm beat. Tomorrow I'll have to clean up before picking Wifey up at the airport.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I know that we discussed types of sanders and possibly planers to smooth that thing out but after seeing the top come together I am leaning toward the chain saw option. :)

What are you gonna finish that with? The thing is so radical that I can't even imagine what direction you go with the finish but one thing's for sure ... it needs to be immaculate and you need to hurry up because I don't like waiting. :D

... so what if I can't count. :p

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. The sanding may take a few thousand hours.:( That chain saw is looking good to me.
My main speakers are piano rosewood. I'd like to get as close to that as possible. MDF doesn't have any grain though. This will be a challenge.

You can't count? Do you mean that you can't count on me, or that you don't count?;)
Either way, you are WRONG!:D
You'll see.....:cool:

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Just take what you've got someplace with a 5 axis mill/CNC machine and they should be able to cut down on your sanding. ;)

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. The sanding may take a few thousand hours.:( That chain saw is looking good to me.
My main speakers are piano rosewood. I'd like to get as close to that as possible. MDF doesn't have any grain though. This will be a challenge.

You can't count? Do you mean that you can't count on me, or that you don't count?;)
Either way, you are WRONG!:D
You'll see.....:cool:
You are going to get it operational and test it BEFORE you do the sanding right???

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I thought you were going to at least put some chamfers on there before assembling so that you would have less sanding? Maybe fill with some putty/bondo/something to smooth out a bit first?

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
In the end, if it doesn't meet your expectations, you could probably nominate it as the World's heaviest pinata. ;) :eek:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
How funny. I'm the opposite. I love the smell of coffee, I just can't stand the way it tastes.
Same here, sort of. I actually like the taste, but I can't really drink it anymore. Used to cause a lot of stomach issues and I already have to take acid control as it is.

My mom brings back Kona whenever they go over there (my family is from there).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis