12V Trigger on My Receiver

baniels

baniels

Audioholic
Jeff,

Is the receiver at least functioning to trigger the amp when zone 2 is on?

I noticed the light stayed on when on standby, but I didn't consider the impact of that on your power strip.

Again, how about a 12v wall wart with a mono tip?

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I could not get it to trigger on zone 2. Wonder if I have an issue with the trigger on the receiver????

What is the Wall wart you are referring to?

baniels

baniels

Audioholic
That's strange. I wonder what would be wrong with it.

Some people in similar predicaments have taken a standard DC wall wart and spliced a mono tip (that fits into the trigger) on the end of it after cutting off whatever power tip was on it. It can be between 5 and 12 volts (per spec on trigger label on rear of XPA-3). You may find an old cell charger to fit the bill.

You may be able to find such a DC adapter at Radio Shack that already has the right tip. I've read of others finding one with a multi-tip - one of which is mono.

This can then be plugged into a switched outlet (on receiver or in your smart strip). Other end goes into trigger. When the power is on, it sends the signal to the trigger. Kills it when the power is off.

I haven't done this, but I was planning on it until I found my own alternative solution.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Makes sense....probably much cheaper than the emo option for $40.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Hey my bad....

Well im happy to see that Jeff at least is giving the zone2 option a try. I can totally understand keeping it simple when trying to have a wife understand turning everything on. So maybe thats not the best opt afterall.
It seemed that Baniels had put a nice bit of effort to come up with a solution for Jeff. He had it figured out in his head then took the time to try it out once he got home. That was really cool of him. To me it sounded like the OP read that & went "nah...something else please?" Looking back at the posts i see that wasnt the case.
So i just wanted to repond that i wasnt tryin to ruffle feathers. Sometimes words on a screen can come across wrong or with a different tone than intended. So my bad guys it was rude!
I hope Jeff gets this figured out with the help from this forum, ive gotten a lot of help from the members here & so i try to help when i can...Obviously not much on this thread.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I hooked up my new Emotiva XPA-3 this weekend. The amp is running good and all sounds awesome....how ever the amp is not shutting off with my receiver. I have run the 9mm plug from the output on the receiver to the amp input. Is there something as far as settings go on my receiver that I need to change around. I am using my Onk 805....and the plug on back said 12V trigger/Multiroom.....
You can leave the amp all the time. I had one amp which was on for around 15 years and no problem.

flyimages

flyimages

Audiophyte
The zone 2 worked fine for my onkyo nr929, but only 1 issue, I can't use "Pure Audio" listening mode, which is my preferred mode for 2ch listening... Any work around?

baniels

baniels

Audioholic
Does it have "Direct" mode? If so, that is functionally the same as Pure with respect to audio processing.

The zone 2 worked fine for my onkyo nr929, but only 1 issue, I can't use "Pure Audio" listening mode, which is my preferred mode for 2ch listening... Any work around?

G

Gorschek

Audiophyte
Hello guys. I have the same issue.
Onkyo 3030 w Triggers out for Zone 2 and 3. No main as I can see it (which is really stupid of them!).
In any case, I can turn on my amps by:
1. pressing zone 2 select
2. pressing ON
Then I press "receiver" and I control zone 1 again.
BUT I have a question. I use 7.1.4 config (4 atmos speakers). And have 3 amps (pre out for front and center). DOES ME TURNING ZONE 2 ON screw anything up? Like some speakers not working, or less watts to my main speakers etc etc? I don't like workarounds, but what can you do.

BR

Tony

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis