12V Trigger on My Receiver

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Guys

I hooked up my new Emotiva XPA-3 this weekend. The amp is running good and all sounds awesome....how ever the amp is not shutting off with my receiver. I have run the 9mm plug from the output on the receiver to the amp input. Is there something as far as settings go on my receiver that I need to change around. I am using my Onk 805....and the plug on back said 12V trigger/Multiroom.....

Thanks

Jeff

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
In the setup menu for the triggers set the trigger to Main and that should be it. I know there are certain Onkyo's that only use the triggers for zone2/3 but I am fairly certain that the 805 can trigger for the main zone.

baniels

baniels

Audioholic
I have the same receiver. It does NOT have a main trigger. The trigger it has is for zone 2.

I'm in the same spot. I am going to splice a mono tip to a 12vdc wall wart and try it from the Onkyo's switched outlet.

Right now I'm using another method incorporating the switched trigger on my Belkin PF60, but the delay is too great, meaning I can't shut off the amp first in the power down sequence.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
What you can do is plug an Emotiva ET-3 trigger module into the switched outlet on the back of your Onkyo - that's what I did with my 906.

The ET-3 is designed to expand your triggering capabilities, and comes with one 12V power adapter and four 3.5mm trigger output cables. Up to three devices (amplifiers, preamplifiers, etc.), can be triggered on and off using the ET-3.

In the 'On' position, all the triggers are constantly on, as long as the ET-3 itself is receiving power. This is particularly useful if your receiver/preamp/processor does not have a trigger output, but does have a switched outlet. If this is the case, plug the supplied ET-3 adapter into the switched outlet. The ET-3 will switch on/off along with the receiver/processor/preamp.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Thanks for the help everyone.....I already have a smart strip I use for my Adcom Amp. I will just use one of the switched outlets on the strip. I was just attempting to utilize the trigger function if possible...Thought it may be better for the amp to have it shut itself down vs just cutting of supply power.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the help everyone.....I already have a smart strip I use for my Adcom Amp. I will just use one of the switched outlets on the strip. I was just attempting to utilize the trigger function if possible...Thought it may be better for the amp to have it shut itself down vs just cutting of supply power.
It should not matter at all, as that is typically what the power switch does on a power amp. One of my power amps does not even have a power switch at all, as they intend for the user to use a switched outlet for it from one's preamp. Another one has the power switch on the rear, obviously not intended to be used very much.

baniels

baniels

Audioholic
After much reading, I discovered a possible solution to the 805 trigger. I'm not at home so can't test it yet. I'll give it a try after taking my son trick or treating.

Zone 2 can be used as a preamp only. This means one does not have to forego the use of the surround back channels (as I had originally thought).

If you press the Zone 2 button on your remote, any subsequent button presses will be for zone 2 (until your choose "Receiver" again). Thus, press zone two, then press the power button, and this will activate the zone two trigger. I haven't sorted out whether you need to first enable something in the setup or not - it may be that you only need to turn on zone two in the setup if you plan to use the SBR/L amps channels.

I'm using a Harmony 890. I'm hoping I can "learn" some new remote codes to make this seamless. By default, the zone two commands are not available. I did find the remote hex codes, but can't seem to program them in. It can only learn by line of sight.

It is possible, however, to add the Onkyo Zone 2 as a separate device. This is a less elegant, second option to learning the zone 2 codes as custom commands for the primary Onkyo device (in the mind of the Harmony remote).

If I can get it to learn the codes, then it should be an option to add the extra commands to the on/off sequence for the device.

baniels

baniels

Audioholic
The above worked beautifully.

Without a programmable remote, you'll have to press the Zone 2 button, then On, on the Onkyo remote. This doesn't require making any changes in the setup of the Onkyo, and it doesn't mean you lose the rear surrounds.

With a programmable remote it makes it work as good as a main trigger. Actually a little better in my case, as I can be program it to shut off zone two, killing power to the amp before switching off the receiver, which would otherwise be simultaneous. This removes the chance of thumps from the pre shutting off before the amp.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Well the smart strip does not work with the Emotive....the power button on the front does not have a permanent on and off position. I guess I need to buy the emo 12V adapter. Not sure I want go the zone 2 route. Any other suggestions?

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
What? Why not use the Zone2 option?

To me it seems a really good way & you wont need to make any purchases. The receiver will turn it on thinking its being used in Zone2 but will actually be powering speakers in Zone1.

Are you too lazy to hit 2 extra buttons? Back in the day we had to get off our butts just to change a channel, now people dont want to move a finger any more than they need. Sad!

baniels

baniels

Audioholic
What about a 12v wall wart with a mono tip connected to the receiver's switched outlet?

baniels

baniels

Audioholic
I think I have the solution.

1. Connect the Onkyo zone 2 trigger to the Emotiva
  2. Plug the Emo power cord into one of the switched outlets on the Smart Strip
  3. Power on the Onkyo (activating the trigger to power on the Emo)
  4. Turn on zone 2 (just this once)
  5. Don't turn off zone 2 before you shut down the Onkyo

When you power cycle the Onkyo, it will remember the state of the Zone 2 trigger. No need for the extra button presses. If the Onkyo is on when the Emo turns on, it will be triggered and live immediately.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
This issue has nothing to do with laziness, just attempting to make sure my wife will be able to work the system when I am not there.....If there is much more than just pushing an on button it does not seem to sink in......

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Are you too lazy to hit 2 extra buttons? Back in the day we had to get off our butts just to change a channel, now people dont want to move a finger any more than they need. Sad!
Seriously - :confused:

It never ceases to amaze me the arrogance of some of the people on this forum.... do you really have to be this rude - the guy is looking for some help getting a solution to his problem and this is the way you talk...

That is SAD....

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I tried your solution banials..
I could not get your solution to work....am I missing something in the menus that makes the trigger activate.

baniels

baniels

Audioholic
Did you press the Zone 2 button on the remote (inside the "Remote Mode" box), followed by the On button?

You'll know zone 2 has been turned on when you see the green light for Zone two active on the front panel (see attached)

From the setup menu: 7.) Hardware Setup -> 2.) Zone2/Zone3

I have the following:
Powered Zone2 --> Not Act
Zone2 Out --> Fixed
Zone3 Out --> Fixed

Attachments

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Seriously - :confused:

It never ceases to amaze me the arrogance of some of the people on this forum.... do you really have to be this rude - the guy is looking for some help getting a solution to his problem and this is the way you talk...

That is SAD....
Well put Warp, Too Sad indeed !

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Baniels - I did exactly as you are stating, the green line is coming on with my receiver to show that Zone 2 is active. I also went into the menu put the Fixed selection in the Zone 2 category.....now one thing that I did notice last night when I powered down my reciever Zone 2 stayed on and I had to select zone 2 and turn it off separate from the Main reciever power....the zone 2 kept enough current draw to my reciever that it also kept the smart strip on also.

I will play with it a little more tonight.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
What I ended up doing to make my system easy to use for my wife I got a power sequencer. Only two moves turn, on pre-pro and power sequencer and everything is up and running.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis