10 or 12 year old router

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I was on the phone with Spectrum and forgot to ask what speed I am getting. Oh well. But I did I think understand that wifi 6 should be what to look for.
Do you have a laptop or desktop? Open your browser and go to 'speedtest.net' or 'speedof.me' and do the test. You can do the same with your smart phone- same addresses.

If you have smart outlets/switches, a Dyson (or similar) vacuum or many other devices that connect to WiFi, get a different router- the Spectrum WiFi 6 tower A) only has three ethernet ports, B) can only be adjusted using a phone app and C) the 5GHz band can't be turned off in order to connect those smart devices.

Some devices can connect, but it's not as easy as if you can turn off the 5GHz band and use the 2.4GHz band.

Nothing new comes with g or b (802.11b, 802.11g)- they all come with at least n speed. Don't sweat these details, just make sure the router is placed in a central location in the house and not in a corner of the basement, behind the furnace or other things that can block the signal. Hardwire EVERYTHING that has an ethernet port- wired is for performance, WiFi is for convenience.

I have been using EERO routers- they use an app for setup, but it does a whole lot more than the Spectrum router (you can only change the network name and password), you can turn off the 5GHz band and it will go back to normal in fifteen minutes. You can use the app to monitor the network, block devices, reboot/turn it off and perform updates if you don't like those happening automatically. Also, you can use the app to run a speed test or see the speed over the previous days. If you need to cover a large area, these work great because they form a 'mesh' network, which is kind of like having a group of people holding hands, then shaking one of them and causing the others to move in response. Roaming is much smoother than with many routers (especially if you have an iPhone) and you can set it up as an access point if you want to keep the existing router- you do need to put it in bridge mode, but it'snot hard to do. If you want help, you can call their tech support number (it's shown in the app) and it doesn't take long.

The new Spectrum hardware is better than a lot of it was, but it's not as good as EERO and some other brands. When I do speed tests on EERO WiFi, I see the speed being paid for- that's not what I used to see with Spectrum routers, but it depends on how new it is. I have the WiFi6 and it's decent- the WiFi speed is generally over 200Mbps, so it's definitely better than what I had before.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I lived by the ethernet for everything rule for a long time but wifi has come a long way. No issues here with any wireless devices. I currently use a gateway and turned my router into an AX bridge and have several devices connected to it via ethernet. All of my receivers are now connected wirelessly and I can Airplay to all of them at once without issue. Some devices with 100mb ethernet may do better with wireless AC in many circumstances. Everybody has different needs for different types of homes.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Do you have a laptop or desktop? Open your browser and go to 'speedtest.net' or 'speedof.me' and do the test. You can do the same with your smart phone- same addresses.

If you have smart outlets/switches, a Dyson (or similar) vacuum or many other devices that connect to WiFi, get a different router- the Spectrum WiFi 6 tower A) only has three ethernet ports, B) can only be adjusted using a phone app and C) the 5GHz band can't be turned off in order to connect those smart devices.

Some devices can connect, but it's not as easy as if you can turn off the 5GHz band and use the 2.4GHz band.

Nothing new comes with g or b (802.11b, 802.11g)- they all come with at least n speed. Don't sweat these details, just make sure the router is placed in a central location in the house and not in a corner of the basement, behind the furnace or other things that can block the signal. Hardwire EVERYTHING that has an ethernet port- wired is for performance, WiFi is for convenience.

I have been using EERO routers- they use an app for setup, but it does a whole lot more than the Spectrum router (you can only change the network name and password), you can turn off the 5GHz band and it will go back to normal in fifteen minutes. You can use the app to monitor the network, block devices, reboot/turn it off and perform updates if you don't like those happening automatically. Also, you can use the app to run a speed test or see the speed over the previous days. If you need to cover a large area, these work great because they form a 'mesh' network, which is kind of like having a group of people holding hands, then shaking one of them and causing the others to move in response. Roaming is much smoother than with many routers (especially if you have an iPhone) and you can set it up as an access point if you want to keep the existing router- you do need to put it in bridge mode, but it'snot hard to do. If you want help, you can call their tech support number (it's shown in the app) and it doesn't take long.

The new Spectrum hardware is better than a lot of it was, but it's not as good as EERO and some other brands. When I do speed tests on EERO WiFi, I see the speed being paid for- that's not what I used to see with Spectrum routers, but it depends on how new it is. I have the WiFi6 and it's decent- the WiFi speed is generally over 200Mbps, so it's definitely better than what I had before.
Great info hf! I will read it more carefully after work. Thx a ton.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
I don't do any gaming, but thought you guys might know routers best. I have 2 HT systems, a laptop, a desktop and 3 phones (well one tablet, 2 phones) all on wifi. I have spectrum internet (not for live TV), Netflix Youtube Premium, etc. My router is super old. More than 10 years for sure. Last night, my buddy sent a text (while I was home and devices were all on wifi) and it did not arrive until like 10 am this morning. Thinking because of my super old router. I don't know what to look for. Any advice if anyone can help on models? I will pay more if it's worthwhile as far as security and speed, etc. I live in a 3 bedroom, long, single-wide mobile home.
A 10 year old router is like a 20 year old car. Time to replace.

highfigh

highfigh

I lived by the ethernet for everything rule for a long time but wifi has come a long way. No issues here with any wireless devices. I currently use a gateway and turned my router into an AX bridge and have several devices connected to it via ethernet. All of my receivers are now connected wirelessly and I can Airplay to all of them at once without issue. Some devices with 100mb ethernet may do better with wireless AC in many circumstances. Everybody has different needs for different types of homes.
The problem is in how WiFi is advertised and sold- they tell people it's great, then the ISP installers plop it on a shelf in the basement next to where it came through the wall and can't understand why it doesn't reach the whole house. Also, many homes just don't lend themselves to passing RF through the walls & ceilings but even in homes built with drywall, I see signal strength drop off like it's hitting a brick wall.

Spectrum's lowest speed is now 200Mbps and IME, it has been consistent at my place and the projects I have worked on. I rarely need to deal with ATT anymore and that makes me happy. Doesn't mean Spectrum is a walk in the park, but I have gotten better results from tech and customer support, especially after dropping the name of Spectrum's president when things aren't moving along faster than a snail's pace. Amazing, how that works.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Placement is everything. Unfortunately, most homes predate the internet and many don't think it worthwhile to wire a new build with ethernet to each room. So, wireless is used throughout and the router might be behind a stack of towels in a hall closet, behind a door in the bottom of an entertainment center or, as was mentioned, in a basement.

Even with the increased speeds and robust routers out there, traffic can slow things down as well. If the whole block or building uses automatic settings in their systems, there will be lots going on in certain channels and things can slow down. Think of a fast car on a congested highway. Some folks in older neighborhoods also have to deal with their signal coming off of a pole using coaxial that was installed in the 70’s when the previous owners got cable.

Then, there are the providers. Spectrum bought a provider that I was happy to call mine. It was downhill from there. I did get a new cable run to the house and a bit of a break on the bill after contacting the FTC. I've since moved on as the service wasn’t very reliable and too costly.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Holy buckets. Still no idea... Hoping someone would make it easy! Thx though.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You’ll be fine with any new router set up in a central location of your mobile home. Many do just fine with automatic settings. Some of us just fuss with every setting and configuration because we can do it.:D

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
You’ll be fine with any new router set up in a central location of your mobile home. Many do just fine with automatic settings. Some of us just fuss with every setting and configuration because we can do it.:D
Shopping now. Wifi 6 not necessary for my purposes?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
New computers, cell phones, streamers, tablets and TVs will make use of 5(AC) and some 6(AX). So, it is worthwhile to get 6.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
btw, what is a usb port used for? It will not be located near a computer. Any use for a thumb drive for some reason? I think my super old Linksys has one too, but I've never used it.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Different routers have a usb port for printers or for connecting a storage device.

highfigh

highfigh

Placement is everything. Unfortunately, most homes predate the internet and many don't think it worthwhile to wire a new build with ethernet to each room. So, wireless is used throughout and the router might be behind a stack of towels in a hall closet, behind a door in the bottom of an entertainment center or, as was mentioned, in a basement.

Even with the increased speeds and robust routers out there, traffic can slow things down as well. If the whole block or building uses automatic settings in their systems, there will be lots going on in certain channels and things can slow down. Think of a fast car on a congested highway. Some folks in older neighborhoods also have to deal with their signal coming off of a pole using coaxial that was installed in the 70’s when the previous owners got cable.

Then, there are the providers. Spectrum bought a provider that I was happy to call mine. It was downhill from there. I did get a new cable run to the house and a bit of a break on the bill after contacting the FTC. I've since moved on as the service wasn’t very reliable and too costly.
Builders are a huge problem WRT to cabling- they buy into the "I don't give a rat's ass about the future, I want my money NOW!" mindset.

I have been dropping the name of Spectrum's president and it works well, but I start by telling them that I'm an integrator and that the industry I'm in is doing a lot of damage control on their behalf.

I constantly need to explain to people about why WiFi isn't always the best way to connect and that it sometimes just doesn't work. Then, there are the problems that Apple causes with their crap, holding onto WiFi networks long after they have become useless- I tell them it's like handing a baby to someone and separation anxiety starts.

highfigh

highfigh

btw, what is a usb port used for? It will not be located near a computer. Any use for a thumb drive for some reason? I think my super old Linksys has one too, but I've never used it.
You should be able to connect a hard drive and access music files which works with anything that can use DLNA- AVRs, streaming devices and computers can access them in this way..

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
You should be able to connect a hard drive and access music files which works with anything that can use DLNA- AVRs, streaming devices and computers can access them in this way..
Oh thx!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis