$1,900 Subwoofer Budget help

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
Also got my acoustic panels backlighting done and installed. Hue LED light strips.
IMG_20191007_072730.jpg
IMG_20191007_065225.jpg

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
33 inches is tall. There is no way I could let that project wait till the end of the month. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would look into a reference sub from RBH. They just finished research and development on a new twin 12” thats priced around 1k. My 1010SEN/R is flat to 10hz. The quality and quantity of low end is mind altering.
You mean in your room it's flat to 10hz? They only advertise an f3 of 24hz and it's ported so hard to believe....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I put the video of the drivers on YouTube. When I spoke to Brian at RBH, he stated that their drivers can hit single digits. He also stated he became very ill during sub development sessions from the infrasonic waves. They were completely silent to my ears, but my sound meter registered how loud the sound was. Brian added that the cabinet and room acoustics all play a roll, but the drivers will accurately perform the required movement for 10hz. My grandson playing in the room said he felt funny. The large vent was moving air like a floor fan. I took the grill off...and the jaw drops. The sub was audible around 20hz as the test moves up to 200 Hz.
It’s so damn cool.
That doesn't answer the question. It's definitely not flat anechoically or groundplane to 10hz, so assume you mean in-room. Even it's big brother didn't test flat to 10hz natively by any means, altho pretty good to 20hz. It drops off significantly after 20, tho. https://data-bass.com/#/systems/5c0ea6b80ce00400045ffded?_k=gsrn2p

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Quite the opposite, a paper cone would be lighter and therefore have a higher resonant frequency, so it would not be as adept for lower frequencies as a heavier cone such as aluminum.
Probably more a question for Rythmik but they upsell the metal cones on lower models but upsell the paper cones on the upper models. LOL :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Probably more a question for Rythmik but they upsell the metal cones on lower models but upsell the paper cones on the upper models. LOL :)
One isn't better than the other, they both have their advantages.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would look into a reference sub from RBH. They just finished research and development on a new twin 12” thats priced around 1k. My 1010SEN/R is flat to 10hz. The quality and quantity of low end is mind altering.
Lmao!!! You must’ve missed that @Jivinjoe bought an 18” vented Rythmik... The rbh is great for what it is but...

E

Ernie Schmuntz

Junior Audioholic
Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You mean in your room it's flat to 10hz? They only advertise an f3 of 24hz and it's ported so hard to believe....
The key is the volume level and size of room.

Sure, I can get 10Hz flat if the volume level is 80-85dB in regular rooms. But not at 100dB and in much bigger rooms, unless you have 10 of these subs. :D

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
Well got to watch John Wick 3 tonight, didn't do any calibration seeing I still have to finish trim work and getting everything back into place but my God is the FV18 a monster! First time I've experienced bass like that lol. Amazing, can't wait to hear it all set up correctly.

Attachments

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well got to watch John Wick 3 tonight, didn't do any calibration seeing I still have to finish trim work and getting everything back into place but my God is the FV18 a monster! First time I've experienced bass like that lol. Amazing, can't wait to hear it all set up correctly.
That my friend, is a thing of beauty!

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Lmao!!! You must’ve missed that @Jivinjoe bought an 18” vented Rythmik... The rbh is great for what it is but...
I haven't been following this thread much, but are you saying the RBH dual 12 ported sub has less output than the 18" Rythmik vented sub? If so, go look at the data-bass data. They are about the same, the RBH edging out the Rythmik at all frequencies. The SX212R is a serious subwoofer. I was shocked when I saw its numbers.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It
I haven't been following this thread much, but are you saying the RBH dual 12 ported sub has less output than the 18" Rythmik vented sub? If so, go look at the data-bass data. They are about the same, the RBH edging out the Rythmik at all frequencies. The SX212R is a serious subwoofer. I was shocked when I saw its numbers.
It is but man there subs are not cheap. Understandably so but man I was thinking of going with a couple of there passive versions of this so I can get away from internal amps and man they cost some coin. I'm thinking If I ever go monster sub in my room either rythmik or the new monoprice dual 15 and call it a day.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well, that’s interesting indeed! I’m gonna have to go look. Might have to eat some crow!!! Lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Got the 2 channel set up also, hard to work on finishing the trim when there is stereo work to be done! lol I know it's not the perfect set up but I've always wanted a 2 channel set up and don't have a room for it lol
That some sound absorption artwork behind the seats?

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
It

It is but man there subs are not cheap. Understandably so but man I was thinking of going with a couple of there passive versions of this so I can get away from internal amps and man they cost some coin. I'm thinking If I ever go monster sub in my room either rythmik or the new monoprice dual 15 and call it a day.
I want Shane to send me four of them!

Yeah they are not cheap but seem worth the money. A lot of output density. Not that they are small.

now if I may give a little endorsement to my friend Jeff with JTR speakers. His subs are an excellent value. Honestly they should be twice the price. Thick plywood enclosures, speaker power amps, and really nice custom made drivers. They are not small, but the performance is nearly unmatched. If anyone else made those they would probably be twice as expensive.

if we can find a clear day i will be measuring four of his subwoofers in the next week or so. We shall see how they do. I’m just hoping he doesn’t feel like taking them home and leaves them with me.

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
I did get the FV18 paper cone, are you comparing that version? The RBH looks nice just way out of my budget, seeing the FV18 was over budget already lol

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis