$1,900 Subwoofer Budget help

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
If i go the Dual 15H MK2's should I do the extra 3 years of warranty for $140? Have many people had problems with the amps in the 5 years?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Dual drive! I went with Hsu myself. I got the VTF-3 MK5 HD dual drive package, which is very close to what you're considering and they do a great job filling my room. My room isn't quite as big as yours but it is large and there's room for them to open up some more.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If i go the Dual 15H MK2's should I do the extra 3 years of warranty for $140? Have many people had problems with the amps in the 5 years?
Hard call. Hsu has a pretty good reputation. There have been Hsu amp failures reported, but not often. I generally figure that since someone is making money off of the insurance it benefits me to keep the $140 in my pocket.

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
I wish I would have ran a coax cable for the subwoofer on the back wall when I had them open, always think of more things after the fact lol

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I wish I would have ran a coax cable for the subwoofer on the back wall when I had them open, always think of more things after the fact lol
I wish I had one in each room so I could experiment with placement a lot easier... lol. Plus it's not a bad thing to have a sub in every room of the house, right..? Right guys?! :p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wish I had one in each room so I could experiment with placement a lot easier... lol. Plus it's not a bad thing to have a sub in every room of the house, right..? Right guys?! :p
Some of us do. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Right on....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would say that depends on how hard you intend to use them. If you are going to blast them a lot, then yes, might be a good idea to get a warranty. If not, I wouldn't worry about it. I have some older BASH amp subs from Hsu and Outlaw, never had a problem, even though I have had them for years.

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
So what really is the difference between the VTF-15H and the VTF-3mk5?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So what really is the difference between the VTF-15H and the VTF-3mk5?
I think the 15H does play a little bit deeper (slightly larger cabinet) and the finish is nicer. Aside from that I *believe* they both are using the same driver and amplifier. @shadyJ can answer that for sure, but I think I'm right.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think the 15H does play a little bit deeper (slightly larger cabinet) and the finish is nicer. Aside from that I *believe* they both are using the same driver and amplifier. @shadyJ can answer that for sure, but I think I'm right.
Same driver and mostly the same amp. The VTF15h mk2 amp has XLR inputs but the VTF-3 mk5 amp doesn't, and that's about the only difference.

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
Lol. Poncho, yes. The pair of (“ponchos”Pontiac) firebirds(F-body, same as camaro) in the picture above your old setup.

Packers huh? Where you at?
That was a signed limited ed. from the San Diego auto museum, $19 and $120 to frame it lol. Im in Chippewa Falls WI

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
So I was going to pull the trigger on the pair of VTF-15H MK2 but the total comes to $2,184 with shipping. For some reason I thought it was free shipping. So now I'm thinking maybe one Monolith 15 now and then one later. Thinking of ordering on Amazon because I get 5% back with my prime card but I also have to pay tax.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So I was going to pull the trigger on the pair of VTF-15H MK2 but the total comes to $2,184 with shipping. For some reason I thought it was free shipping. So now I'm thinking maybe one Monolith 15 now and then one later.
Yeah... that slipped by us. You always have to figure shipping in with a HSU order. Even at that they're still hard to beat. I don't think your plan to go with the Monolith now and one later is a bad one either. I'm actually itching to get my hands on one and check it out myself. They check a lot of the right boxes for me.

Did you check out the total price of a pair of VTF-3 MK5 HDs shipped? The differences in performance aren't that much. Also, if you're in or near Anaheim in California and can make the trip you can save a bundle on shipping.

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
The VFT-3MK5 dual comes to 1,881 with shipping plus tax. I will in Wisconsin so it's just a bit to far to drive lol. That's with extra warranty at 70 per sub. I wonder why its 25lbs lighter per sub

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
Or just $1,699 for FV18 paper cone rev1. No shipping no tax.......just when I thought I made a decision lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL decisions decisions. Best part is you aren't going to go wrong with any of the proposed ones....

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
May I chime in?

Just upgraded to the SVS Ultra SB16 - So nice - very nice indeed.

Or in your case perhaps the Ultra PB16

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
May I chime in?

Just upgraded to the SVS Ultra SB16 - So nice - very nice indeed.

Or in your case perhaps the Ultra PB16
Just a touch out of budget, they do have a PB16 for 2299 in the outlet

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis