$1,900 Subwoofer Budget help

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
My movie area is in my family room in the basement. Its pretty much half of the basement with my area on one end and the wife controls the other half lol. We had a mold issue due to the basement walls being built touching the foundation which resulted in our insulation getting wet and developing mold. Had to gut all the exterior walls. Bummer, but Im adding a atmos system now. The last thing I need to upgrade is my subwoofer. The room is 43x13 with a 8ft ceiling. I have about $1,900 budget. It will be for movie's only. Im just not sure which way I should go. This will be a one time deal, I will not be able to add a second sub later unless my wife divorces me lol. Here is the list I'm looking at right now. Im just torn and which way would be best to go.

Rythmik FV18 Paper cone $1,799
HSU 15H-MK2 Dual Drive $1,749
Dayton Audio 18" Ultimax Kits (2) $1,800 I don't mind building them.
Paradigm Defiance X-15 $1,499 ( my only local option )
Monoprice THX 15 $1,338

My gear is as follows
Denon AVR-X4300H
NHT ST-4's fronts
NHT SC-2 Center
NHT HDP-2 Surronds
Monoprice 8" in ceiling for atmos
Current Sub is a NHT U1 set up.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15mk2Dual.html

Attachments

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My movie area is in my family room in the basement. Its pretty much half of the basement with my area on one end and the wife controls the other half lol. We had a mold issue due to the basement walls being built touching the foundation which resulted in our insulation getting wet and developing mold. Had to gut all the exterior walls. Bummer, but Im adding a atmos system now. The last thing I need to upgrade is my subwoofer. The room is 43x13 with a 8ft ceiling. I have about $1,900 budget. It will be for movie's only. Im just not sure which way I should go. This will be a one time deal, I will not be able to add a second sub later unless my wife divorces me lol. Here is the list I'm looking at right now. Im just torn and which way would be best to go.

Rythmik FV18 Paper cone $1,799
HSU 15H-MK2 Dual Drive $1,749
Dayton Audio 18" Ultimax Kits (2) $1,800 I don't mind building them.
Paradigm Defiance X-15 $1,499 ( my only local option )
Monoprice THX 15 $1,338

My gear is as follows
Denon AVR-X4300H
NHT ST-4's fronts
NHT SC-2 Center
NHT HDP-2 Surronds
Monoprice 8" in ceiling for atmos
Current Sub is a NHT U1 set up.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15mk2Dual.html
Easy: HSU 15H-MK2 Dual Drive

:)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So your current NHT U1 Externally-powered dual 12" sub not enough or just itching for an upgrade?

NHT was the company that first introduced me to externally-powered (aka passive) subs.

Most people have never used subwoofers that are powered with an external amp. :D

What about adding a 2nd U1 sub (pre-owned)?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That’s easy. Dual drive. I like MORE the idea of an fv18 now and one later. However I’m also married so I get it. Gotta negotiate better lol.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So your current NHT U1 Externally-powered dual 12" sub not enough or just itching for an upgrade?

NHT was the company that first introduced me to externally-powered (aka passive) subs.

Most people have never used subwoofers that are powered with an external amp. :D

What about adding a 2nd U1 sub (pre-owned)?
Did you notice his room is like 43’ long? Lol

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
The NHT U1 is powered with a separate amp and even has its own pre amp with crossover. It's a great sub for music but just not big enough for the room for movies. I might keep it and do a 2 channel set up on the end of the room where the theater is and pull a chair out when listening to music.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Duals for coverage, although not necessarily for output, is the way to go. How are you figuring $1800 for the Ultimax combo? I think you'd cone in a little less, and get more out of it than the HSU. Keep in mind with the HSU specs that they're measured at 1 meter, rather than 2 meters for the CEA-2010 specs, so the numbers are "bloated". Definitely not hating- I own a VTF-3 MK4:D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Looks good! And despite the 45’ length, I think the shorter 13’ length will bolster the LF behavior and you’ll be good with the “shoes”.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Did you notice his room is like 43’ long? Lol
Just because a room is 43' long doesn't automatically mean it requires a bigger sub than what he has.

My previously house has an extremely OPEN house plan - the 18' x 20' x 10' Family room is wide open to the 18' x 20' formal Dining room, wide open to the 18' x 20' Formal Living, wide open to the 15'x15' kitchen, wide open to the 12'x12' breakfast room. So from one end of the Family room to the end of the Formal Dining room is 40', and to the end of the Breakfast and Formal Living rooms is another 48'. So that's 40' x 48' x 10' ceiling open house plan.

Yet my first sub was a NHT single 10" woofer with an 80W external amp. Yet the bass sounded like an earthquake.

So it just depends on how you define "enough" bass.

Now could it go down to 5Hz? Heck no. But it could output plenty of 30Hz-80Hz bass that could shake all kinds of things.

So it's not just the size of the room, but what kind of bass you care for.

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
Poncho? Wife is a big packer fan but don't watch football lol.
Also I did make my own bass traps and some acoustic panels

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just because a room is 43' long doesn't automatically mean it requires a bigger sub than what he has.

My previously house has an extremely OPEN house plan - the 18' x 20' x 10' Family room is wide open to the 18' x 20' formal Dining room, wide open to the 18' x 20' Formal Living, wide open to the 15'x15' kitchen, wide open to the 12'x12' breakfast room. So from one end of the Family room to the end of the Formal Dining room is 40', and to the end of the Breakfast and Formal Living rooms is another 48'. So that's 40' x 48' x 10' ceiling open house plan.

Yet my first sub was a NHT single 10" woofer with an 80W external amp. Yet the bass sounded like an earthquake.

So it just depends on how you define "enough" bass.

Now could it go down to 5Hz? Heck no. But it could output plenty of 30Hz-80Hz bass that could shake all kinds of things.

So it's not just the size of the room, but what kind of bass you care for.
Fair enough. I guess we’ll have to settle at disagreed? I know you enjoyed your powered DT’s too iirc. Different strokes...

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
Also open to other brand subwoofers if their is a better option.
I would like more bass then the 12 inch did for me. Its mainly going to be used to movies now and would like to have more low end.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Poncho? Wife is a big packer fan but don't watch football lol.
Also I did make my own bass traps and some acoustic panels
Lol. Poncho, yes. The pair of (“ponchos”Pontiac) firebirds(F-body, same as camaro) in the picture above your old setup.

Packers huh? Where you at?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Fair enough. I guess we’ll have to settle at disagreed? I know you enjoyed your powered DT’s too iirc. Different strokes...
The DT's were among the first to go, but they were fun while I had them for a couple of years.

There is a difference between what you hear and experience with actual big open rooms vs things you read about on the internet.

I do think there are exaggerations on the internet vs real life situations.

Like people needing 2400W for subwoofers and 1000W for speakers. :eek:

I recently got a friend a pair of SVTR towers with 500W amps for each SV1212NR. His room is about 40' long. His sub amp volume was 50%. We were watching Star Wars The Force Awakens. And the bass was so loud, awesome, clean, and scary as heck. He turns to me and said, "Yeah, I guess I didn't need the 2,400 Watt sub amp after all". :D

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Also open to other brand subwoofers if their is a better option.
I would like more bass then the 12 inch did for me. Its mainly going to be used to movies now and would like to have more low end.
IMHO, two is the way to go, and Hsu offers the best bang for the buck ... unless you happen to luck into an especially good discount on the Monolith or the Outlaw subs!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The DT's were among the first to go, but they were fun while I had them for a couple of years.

There is a difference between what you hear and experience with actual big open rooms vs things you read about on the internet.

I do think there are exaggerations on the internet vs real life situations.

Like people needing 2400W for subwoofers and 1000W for speakers. :eek:
Again that’s fair. But if you’re referring to me, a can tell I have a lot of experience with large(and small) rooms. Mine is open concept with the listening room being 16x24 with a 12’ vault on the right side(center between kitchen and LR), kitchen is almost the same size, but the LR is sunken 1’, opens into a foyer and another bedroom and also has a hall way. Also concrete slab. Definitely huge. I’ve tried a number of pieces over the years, and Ime, in this house, it takes a lot of subwoofage. And I don’t consider myself a crazy basshead either, but do have a true appreciation for full range playback.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis