$1,900 Subwoofer Budget help

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
Well payment sent, FV18 paper cone, $1,599 no tax pick up at local ups! Now I have to get the room done, I wonder if my wife will notice the extra motivation I have to get it done asap lol

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well payment sent, FV18 paper cone, $1,599 no tax pick up at local ups! Now I have to get the room done, I wonder if my wife will notice the extra motivation I have to get it done asap lol
Niiice!!! Congratulations, look forward to how you like it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, all 4 of those options were good so you were gonna end up with some nice subs either way. Even nicer when you can save a few more bucks. Congrats!

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
I'll post a update once I have it set up, probably not until end of October or November. Have lots of work to finish.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'll post a update once I have it set up, probably not until end of October or November. Have lots of work to finish.
Consider adding another one when you are able. What a lot of people don't understand is that the chief attribute of sound quality in bass frequencies is a neutral response, and the best, and almost only way to gain a neutral response is when multiple, properly placed subs. A single big sub can get loud, but it won't sound as good as two decent subs that have good placement.

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
That will be a option as long as nobody tells my wife how much this one was lol. I also made some bass traps for the corners and acoustic panels.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Keep in mind bass traps do not normally address subwoofer band frequencies.

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
Consider adding another one when you are able. What a lot of people don't understand is that the chief attribute of sound quality in bass frequencies is a neutral response, and the best, and almost only way to gain a neutral response is when multiple, properly placed subs. A single big sub can get loud, but it won't sound as good as two decent subs that have good placement.
Do you think it would be ok to run my NHT U1 system as a second sub? I can't find any reviews or measurements that any one has taken of it.

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
Keep in mind bass traps do not normally address subwoofer band frequencies.
Really? I didn't know that. I thought they did, more to research! I thought the thicker the panel the lower the frequency it helped with.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Do you think it would be ok to run my NHT U1 system as a second sub? I can't find any reviews or measurements that any one has taken of it.
It might be OK to run that as a second sub, but you need to measure the in-room response to be sure its helping instead of hurting. It needs to be placed in a location that would shore up a null left by the other sub.
Really? I didn't know that. I thought they did, more to research! I thought the thicker the panel the lower the frequency it helped with.
That is true, but you need really thick panels to affect subwoofer band frequencies. Those bass traps would need to be huge.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That's a bad ass awesome price for that level of sub congratulations!
Absolutely. Have to admit I’m a little jelly!

FWIW, @Jivinjoe, I would personally use a dolly with pneumatic tires if you can. I just cringed a little when I saw the old dolly on the beautiful new floor. Or put down some towels etc...

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
I
Absolutely. Have to admit I’m a little jelly!

FWIW, @Jivinjoe, I would personally use a dolly with pneumatic tires if you can. I just cringed a little when I saw the old dolly on the beautiful new floor. Or put down some towels etc...
It has soft rubber tires and belts on the back for going down the stairs. My pneumatic tires were flat as normal lol I did some scratch testing on the vinyl and it's tuff!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I

It has soft rubber tires and belts on the back for going down the stairs. My pneumatic tires were flat as normal lol I did some scratch testing on the vinyl and it's tuff!
Lol. Sounds good. I think there’s a conspiracy to make dolly tires NOT hold air.

Definitely post some pics.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
What’s the benefit of the paper cone over the metal cone?

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
I think the paper cone is suppose to play lower and better for movies.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think the paper cone is suppose to play lower and better for movies.
Quite the opposite, a paper cone would be lighter and therefore have a higher resonant frequency, so it would not be as adept for lower frequencies as a heavier cone such as aluminum.

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
Standard FV18 version uses metal cone DS1820 for its stiffness and low distortion. The independent test lab site www.data-bass.com has published the max distortion numbers for our metal cone FV18 and F18. Paper cone like the one used in Velodyne DD18+ can be made lighter than metal cone and therefore improve outputs above 50hz by up to 3db with the sacrifice of slightly higher distortions. For those who are after the maximum headroom in HT application may consider the paper cone version FV18SW

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
The dimensions on paper don't really do it justice until you unbox this beast lol. Hopefully have it set up by the end of the month. That's our kitchen garbage can next to it lol
IMG_20191013_181324.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis