$1,900 Subwoofer Budget help

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
I probably want more bass then the average person seeing my current 12 just doesn't cut it. My wife thinks differently though lol which is why once I do this Im pretty sure I would never be able to add another one lol

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Again that’s fair. But if you’re referring to me, a can tell I have a lot of experience with large(and small) rooms. Mine is open concept with the listening room being 16x24 with a 12’ vault on the right side(center between kitchen and LR),kitchen is almost the same size, but the LR is sunken 1’, opens into a foyer and another bedroom and also has a hall way. Also concrete slab. Definitely huge. I’ve tried a number of pieces over the years, and Ime, in this house, it takes a lot of subwoofage. And I don’t consider myself a crazy basshead either, but do have a true appreciation for full range playback.
If I'm watching "The Crown" and "Victoria" on Netflix and my seat isn't shaking, then that's not enough bass for me. I definitely love a lot of bass no matter the size of the rooms.

Because every room is different and everyone has their own definition of great bass, I don't tell anyone they don't have "good enough bass" without actually hearing it myself. That's for them to judge.

When people ask advice on subs, we do assume that the bass is lacking, but I always ask to make sure --- regardless of how long a room is.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I probably want more bass then the average person seeing my current 12 just doesn't cut it. My wife thinks differently though lol which is why once I do this Im pretty sure I would never be able to add another one lol
Well, you can always turn DOWN the volume when she's watching with you. :D

What's the volume setting on your sub amp? and What's the subwoofer level on your AVR?

Are you hearing distortion from your sub? Bottoming out a little? :D

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Again that’s fair. But if you’re referring to me, a can tell I have a lot of experience with large(and small) rooms. Mine is open concept with the listening room being 16x24 with a 12’ vault on the right side(center between kitchen and LR), kitchen is almost the same size, but the LR is sunken 1’, opens into a foyer and another bedroom and also has a hall way. Also concrete slab. Definitely huge. I’ve tried a number of pieces over the years, and Ime, in this house, it takes a lot of subwoofage. And I don’t consider myself a crazy basshead either, but do have a true appreciation for full range playback.
Again that’s fair. But if you’re referring to me, a can tell I have a lot of experience with large(and small) rooms. Mine is open concept with the listening room being 16x24 with a 12’ vault on the right side(center between kitchen and LR),kitchen is almost the same size, but the LR is sunken 1’, opens into a foyer and another bedroom and also has a hall way. Also concrete slab. Definitely huge. I’ve tried a number of pieces over the years, and Ime, in this house, it takes a lot of subwoofage. And I don’t consider myself a crazy basshead either, but do have a true appreciation for full range playback.
Hey William, could you give me some advice or answer to my last couple of posts I made in the sub distance thread thx

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
Well, you can always turn DOWN the volume when she's watching with you. :D

What's the volume setting on your sub amp? and What's the subwoofer level on your AVR?

Are you hearing distortion from your sub? Bottoming out a little? :D
The Master gain was at noon, LFE gain was at min, as for the AVR I don't remember. I'll plug it in tonight and see what it is set at. The sub would bottom out trying to play the low stuff and not during normal loud play. I try to make sure I'm not making it clip.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey William, could you give me some advice or answer to my last couple of posts I made in the sub distance thread thx
Will do. Having a dispute with my neighbor atm.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Will do. Having a dispute with my neighbor atm.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Master gain was at noon, LFE gain was at min, as for the AVR I don't remember. I'll plug it in tonight and see what it is set at. The sub would bottom out trying to play the low stuff and not during normal loud play. I try to make sure I'm not making it clip.
If the sub is distorting/bottoming out, then you definitely need a bigger/better sub regardless of your room size. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Will do man. In the middle of a property dispute with my bully of a neighbor atm.

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
I went into this thinking FV18 all the way now Im leaning towards the HSU 15H Dual Drive lol

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Duals for coverage, although not necessarily for output, is the way to go. How are you figuring $1800 for the Ultimax combo? I think you'd cone in a little less, and get more out of it than the HSU. Keep in mind with the HSU specs that they're measured at 1 meter, rather than 2 meters for the CEA-2010 specs, so the numbers are "bloated". Definitely not hating- I own a VTF-3 MK4:D
Hsu's numbers are not inflated, they are actually reporting the numbers according to protocol which specifies 1m peak output. Many subwoofer reviewers report at 2m RMS because that has been the distance and level of output reportage that has been the norm years before CEA-2010 was established.

One other thing, for inflated numbers, Hsu would have to be reporting something beyond what their subs are actually capable of. That is not my experience though, and I have found Hsu's own measurements to be on the conservative side.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Hsu's numbers are not inflated, they are actually reporting the numbers according to protocol which specifies 1m peak output. Many subwoofer reviewers report at 2m RMS because that has been the distance and level of output reportage that has been the norm years before CEA-2010 was established.

One other thing, for inflated numbers, Hsu would have to be reporting something beyond what their subs are actually capable of. That is not my experience though, and I have found Hsu's own measurements to be on the conservative side.
Caught regurgitating:D Mine does absolutely dominate over my SVS PC-2000

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If adding a second later without a lottery win is an issue, the dual 15Hs seem the way to go....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis