What do you use to mount your bookshelf speakers ?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Kiln-dried volcanic sand with 20%quartz, 4% lunar regolith, 1% diamond... and you’ll need to put 5 d-cell batteries in each bag to align the emf properly for phase coherent stability. All wrapped in virgin calf skin leather.
Oh... and don’t forget the special sandbag stands you’ll need to elevate them and keep any ground plane interference from affecting the...
*facepalm
I’ll... just stop.
:rolleyes:
Bluestone.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
In that case, it's gonna take a really long time- I have friends with a place on Turtle Cay, Bahamas. He took his boat there last year and left it because he has decided the boating season is just too short here.
That sounds like a dream. I would love to bring our “tub” somewhere like that. We get about 6-1/2 mo of boating here in central Mn. Not nearly enough. Fall is equal parts pain, parking my hot rod, and my boat...

highfigh

highfigh

That sounds like a dream. I would love to bring our “tub” somewhere like that. We get about 6-1/2 mo of boating here in central Mn. Not nearly enough. Fall is equal parts pain, parking my hot rod, and my boat...
They have a 39' Mainship trawler. He had a larger swim platform designed so he could keep the 14' Boston Whaler on it, added a davit (he installed it, himself) to lift it out of the water and it's strapped down. He upgraded the navionics & satellite TV, put a hard top on the fly bridge and added four solar panels with a monitoring system that has inputs for main batteries, shore power, generator and storage batteries. We had installed a Fusion Entertainment head unit and upgraded the amplifiers & speakers, added a subwoofer and he has a remote for that on the bridge. He won't need the remote when he upgrades the head unit because the new models, as well as all of the other electronics, have NMEA2000 connectivity, which will allow him to see what's playing and to control the music on the GPS touch screen. He also added a stern thruster and upgraded the bow thruster. I helped move it from Port Washington storage to MKE, so he wouldn't need to drive so far when he was getting it ready to head to the Bahamas- that.did.not.suck.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
They have a 39' Mainship trawler. He had a larger swim platform designed so he could keep the 14' Boston Whaler on it, added a davit (he installed it, himself) to lift it out of the water and it's strapped down. He upgraded the navionics & satellite TV, put a hard top on the fly bridge and added four solar panels with a monitoring system that has inputs for main batteries, shore power, generator and storage batteries. We had installed a Fusion Entertainment head unit and upgraded the amplifiers & speakers, added a subwoofer and he has a remote for that on the bridge. He won't need the remote when he upgrades the head unit because the new models, as well as all of the other electronics, have NMEA2000 connectivity, which will allow him to see what's playing and to control the music on the GPS touch screen. He also added a stern thruster and upgraded the bow thruster. I helped move it from Port Washington storage to MKE, so he wouldn't need to drive so far when he was getting it ready to head to the Bahamas- that.did.not.suck.
W. O. W.
That would not suck at all. Sounds like a dream life!We have a more pedestrian 21’ Sea Ray(named “Blue ray” lol)
I keep telling my wife we should liquidate and buy a 60 footer and launch it into Lake Superior, and head east and go south along the Atlantic sea board, or the inland waterway until we hit florida and stay awhile.
Someday...

highfigh

highfigh

W. O. W.
That would not suck at all. Sounds like a dream life!We have a more pedestrian 21’ Sea Ray(named “Blue ray” lol)
I keep telling my wife we should liquidate and buy a 60 footer and launch it into Lake Superior, and head east and go south along the Atlantic sea board, or the inland waterway until we hit florida and stay awhile.
Someday...
He went South, through Chicago and into the Mississippi before taking the Tenn-Tom to the Gulf. He crossed the Intercoastal and stayed in Miami with a High School friend of ours and replaced some of the faulty electronics before heading to the Islands- that alone was 37 hours because it's not a go-fast boat and when I say that, I mean it gets best fuel economy at about 8 knots. OTOH, the boat doesn't give a rat's butt if the water is smooth, or not.

Some other friends have a Carver Santego 38 and I could easily live on it. The fly bridge seats 14 and it has pads for the Sun Deck. The cockpit has seating for 4 plus deck chairs and the interior is very spacious. Even has a blender built into the counter. I made replacements for the white steps on the ladders from some Redwood I have, to match the extended ones his cousin made for the dog and anyone who has problems climbing in, that attach to the two lowest ones. They can be moved to Starboard, if the boat is docked on that side.

YouTube has a lot of videos that were posted by people who now live on boats, describing the lifestyle, with pluses and minuses. I worked for a boat dealer and he lives on his boat during the season- he pays $2700/season for his slip and it comes with shore power, it's relatively secure, the marina has laundry, showers, restrooms, food, a room for group activities and it's right there, at Lake Park, Bradford Beach, the Art Museum and downtown MKE are is less than 1/2 mile away and if he wants to head upriver for dinner, he can do that. He has a little electric bicycle that he tools around on and there's ample parking for his car, truck or motorcycle. That comes to about $450.month, with electricity.

Attachments

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
He went South, through Chicago and into the Mississippi before taking the Tenn-Tom to the Gulf. He crossed the Intercoastal and stayed in Miami at a High School friend of ours and replaced some of the faulty electronics before heading to the Islands- that alone was 37 hours because it's not a go-fast boat and when I say that, I mean it gets best fuel economy at about 8 knots. OTOH, the boat doesn't give a rat's but if the water is smooth, or not.

Some other friends have a Carver Santego 38 and I could easily live on it. The fly bridge seats 14 and it has pads for the Sun Deck. The cockpit has seating for 4 plus deck chairs and the interior is very spacious. Even has a blender built into the counter. I made replacements for the white steps on the ladders from some Redwood I have, to match the extended ones his cousin made for the dog and anyone who has problems climbing in, that attach to the two lowest ones. They can be moved to Starboard, if the boat is docked on that side.

YouTube has a lot of videos that were posted by people who now live on boats, describing the lifestyle, with pluses and minuses. I worked for a boat dealer and he lives on his boat during the season- he pays $2700/season for his slip and it comes with shore power, it's relatively secure, the marina has laundry, showers, restrooms, food, a room for group activities and it's right there, at Lake Park, Bradford Beach, the Art Museum and downtown MKE are is less than 1/2 mile away and if he wants to head upriver for dinner, he can do that. He has a little electric bicycle that he tools around on and there's ample parking for his car, truck or motorcycle. That comes to about $450.month, with electricity.
Wow. Super nice. Can’t imagine following the Mississippi all the way down to the gulf etc. that would be a great time, and serious commitment. Trawler(crawler lol) does not have a planing Hull, lol and would definitely be slow going. But still, it would be great. Definitely takes a special person to live on a boat I think. Pretty sure I could. As long as I could have an HT!!!
My wife and I went with her uncle on his 40’ sailboat up the north shore of Lake Superior over a couple days. She was a 1946(iirc) that he restored. I got to skipper her for a bunch of that trip and back. Simply amazing. I actually wheeled her through the canal in Duluth right next to a freighter. THAT will get your attention, passing next to a boat the size of a skyscraper.

I’ve seen some of those vids actually. Good stuff. FWIW I think the Miami boat show is on right now. Hmm. Me thinks I should be there!

highfigh

highfigh

Wow. Super nice. Can’t imagine following the Mississippi all the way down to the gulf etc. that would be a great time, and serious commitment. Trawler(crawler lol) does not have a planing Hull, lol and would definitely be slow going. But still, it would be great. Definitely takes a special person to live on a boat I think. Pretty sure I could. As long as I could have an HT!!!
My wife and I went with her uncle on his 40’ sailboat up the north shore of Lake Superior over a couple days. She was a 1946(iirc) that he restored. I got to skipper her for a bunch of that trip and back. Simply amazing. I actually wheeled her through the canal in Duluth right next to a freighter. THAT will get your attention, passing next to a boat the size of a skyscraper.

I’ve seen some of those vids actually. Good stuff. FWIW I think the Miami boat show is on right now. Hmm. Me thinks I should be there!
He had a few friends go with him on various legs of the trip- some left and others boarded when he reached Memphis and some traveled to FL and a couple went as far as the condo in the Islands. He had a running commentary on Facebook for us, with photos. He has been boating for a long time, has worked servicing boats and is certified as a charter captain, I think up to 500 tons. Lots of navigation training, too.

It has a nice TV and we installed a Fusion power amplifier that does 80 x 4 and 250 x 1, he installed the 6-1/2" ceiling speakers (also Fusion and it has an MTX 2 x 10 sub that was pretty unimpressive until I saw the wooden grate on the wall of the salon. I asked what was behind and he said "Nothing". I removed it and the sub fit perfectly- when we fired it up, the bass was excellent and I said 'Now, THAT'S what I'm talking about!". We cranked it and just started laughing. His wife showed up, he cranked it and she just rolled her eyes. I was leaving and he did it again, she rolled her eyes and I yelled "Sounds good, right?". She mouthed "F*#k you". She & I grew up in the same neighborhood and have known each other for about 55 years, so I knew that I shouldn't take it seriously. I did car audio for 20 years and it really doesn't sound like that-even the best systems I did and judged failed to sound like a real HiFi system and this does. I was genuinely impressed by the sound, so I became a dealer for Fusion. The new top model has a touch screen, WiFi (can be server or client),Bluetooth, four zones with line out for stereo + sub, four channels powered by the internal amplifier, Video Input (some have analog, this has HDMI),volume can be adjusted as a group, individually or the zones can be ganged. It has a DSP with predictive compression to prevent distortion and it has presets for Fusion speakers, as well as generalized settings for "Your Speakers" in several different sizes. It can be controlled using the face, iPhone/Android app and now, they have a BT remote control disc that can go anywhere without wires. Oh, yeah- it also works with AirPlay.

https://www.fusionentertainment.com/marine/products/stereo-units/ms-ra770

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the gimme...lol

Actually yes. Yes I am looking for an excuse. Every second of the 10 months of winter.
Just took this from my bedroom window.
Nice snow fort! That was one thing I did enjoy about growing up in Illinois....but haven't really missed since moving to the west coast since then :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Nice snow fort! That was one thing I did enjoy about growing up in Illinois....but haven't really missed since moving to the west coast since then :)
Thanks. It’s like 20’ overall and all 5 of us can fit easy. Didn’t know you grew up in Illinois. My dad was born and raised in Beloit WI. Kinda by Chicago area I guess. My mom has a cousin out in Oregon. Went one time, would love to go again. I love the west side.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. It’s like 20’ overall and all 5 of us can fit easy. Didn’t know you grew up in Illinois. My dad was born and raised in Beloit WI. Kinda by Chicago area I guess. My mom has a cousin out in Oregon. Went one time, would love to go again. I love the west side.
Oak Park IL mostly, moved back to west coast in 70....my mom and her parents were from there, moved there when I was 4 (I was born in Reno, parents met at UC Berkeley). We often didn't get so much snow to do the fort thing with a roof, but I fondly remember the several snow days where we built a network of tunnels/forts in the "blizzard of '67". It did snow here last night a bit, but is mostly melted already, we have in the last two weeks had some snow stick for a few days at 1500' but unfortunately still light further up in the Cascades this winter....

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Back in day (early 80s) I had my Allison six speakers mounted on some Bose 901 stands. I don't know if the 901 stands are still available but they were stable and very nice looking. These days I'm using tower speakers but those Allison's on top of the Bose stands were the bomb.:)

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Back in day (early 80s) I had my Allison six speakers mounted on some Bose 901 stands. I don't know if the 901 stands are still available but they were stable and very nice looking. These days I'm using tower speakers but those Allison's on top of the Bose stands were the bomb.:)
I wonder if Bose, the super litigious company that they are, ever got sued for ripping off the Saarinen Tulip table.

Saarinen Tulip Side Table:
1550453964561.png

Bose 901 stand:
1550454006473.png

Of course, I do not know the complete history of the 901 - perhaps they licensed the design from Knoll...

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I wonder if Bose, the super litigious company that they are, ever got sued for ripping off the Saarinen Tulip table.

Saarinen Tulip Side Table:
View attachment 28275
Bose 901 stand:
View attachment 28276
Of course, I do not know the complete history of the 901 - perhaps they licensed the design from Knoll...
Never saw the Tulip tables but thanks for the pics. And I doubt Bose ever got sued over those. They were the ones doing the suing.:)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Those stands are probably why the Allison’s sounded so good!!! Rofl....

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, those are the Mini-Phils on surround detail. Floor to top of the cab is 59", 16# speakers.
Man, don’t let those nose dive into the floor. Hopefully they don’t fall over like the “Sanus” Best Buy stands we had in the late 90s. LOL :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Man, don’t let those nose dive into the floor. Hopefully they don’t fall over like the “Sanus” Best Buy stands we had in the late 90s. LOL :)
*Fingers crossed
I'm pretty comfy with the center of gravity on those things now with the larger base and the placement of the speaker on its pad. :) If it ever came to me selling them, I need them whole!
Or If I rebuild to a different design: those Raals are not cheap drivers. If I switched to ported Philharmonitors, Id much rather just have to buy the ScanSpeak woofer, crossover parts and cabinet. ;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
*Fingers crossed
I'm pretty comfy with the center of gravity on those things now with the larger base and the placement of the speaker on its pad. :) If it ever came to me selling them, I need them whole!
Or If I rebuild to a different design: those Raals are not cheap drivers. If I switched to ported Philharmonitors, Id much rather just have to buy the ScanSpeak woofer, crossover parts and cabinet. ;)
Not sure a novice would come close for the first several attempts. Who knows though. Could happen if he is providing instructions.

I fear it would be like building guitars or violins. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not sure a novice would come close for the first several attempts. Who knows though. Could happen if he is providing instructions.

I fear it would be like building guitars or violins. :)
Ha! I would never try to build a saxophone, and I've had one in my hands and mouth for a long long time! But I agree. Schematics get you so far, even with all the same product. There are still variations: in drivers, capacitors, inductors... I know Dennis would test everything to with in a 2dB tolerance I think it was... even sent me a graph of the response for my Minis.
Not something I'm taking lightly, Snake. ;) This last book I'm reading might be the most dense of them all, Loudspeaker Design Cookbook v7. It's more advanced then I am for sure. But a few of the others help you more with the math involved, and then there are the computer programs.
My next step is re-reading the books again with a few subwoofer drivers selected and Mathing my way through the books. Its exciting. I like the idea of building something like this. Especially of getting to the point where its my own box design, too... but for the sub, even if I build my own box, it's all right angles.
Worst case, I open a bakery. Best case, I make speakers when I'm not doing anything else! That might change by the end of the year. :p

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
What’s the go to for sitting subs on to reduce vibration on the cheap?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis