A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
William Somerset: [discovering what's inside the package] California, tell your people to stay away. Stay away now, don't - don't come in here. Whatever you hear, stay away! John Doe has the upper hand!

Sooty: [curiously sniffs the box] What's inside the box?

b1.jpg
b2.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Pencil.jpg

How 'bout a magic trick?
I'm gonna make this slap-echo disappear.
Ta-dah! It's, it's gone.

x32 wedge foam tiles and x2 bass traps or x6 now as I ordered same last year.
download.jpg

f1.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
38912495_10156428555310149_6933233798897205248_o.jpg

Looks like the seats need cleaning :oops: I didn't notice in rooms darker lighting.

Multi-meter attached to Aura bass shaker/s checking frequency and voltage and these shakers respond vibrate with 10Hz and shade below well maybe not 50 shades below 10Hz but not bad shakers for the price.

39024280_10156428555425149_2337152307189252096_n.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
The way I see it is 1w 1m 2.83 volts but if I connect the wires back to bass shaker with the multi-meter wired up to it I see it like this.

80Hz sine wave at present vibrating the seats as well as myself feel it at around 0.5 volt and I can hear the shaker that is mounted to the underside of the cinema seats seat bucket resonating the armrests of course if I had the rest of the speakers running its going to mask it between my ears. I may see if I can get it better with less resonate noise then again I may not be able too as the seat is bit complex as other frequencies at given voltage is going to resonate the seat.

40Hz I can run it at 1.0 voltage not much in the way of buzzing resonate like with the 80Hz but the seat vibrates hums with a 40Hz at 1.0 volt.

Body shaking at 30Hz 1.0 volt. Resonate I can still hear only a deeper humming.

20Hz 1.0 volt no resonate noise I can feel mild vibration. Increase to 3.0 volts and this only applies to my home cinema others may have the bass shakers fitted differently and with each fitted differently will course its own set of resonate noises when attached mounted to seat with wooden frame seat maybe with metal frame or cinema seats I maybe a chair/stool I don't know its trail and error.

20Hz 4.0 volts I can sense the seat or some part of it humming away.

15Hz 5.0 volts I can sense body vibrating not a terrible amount of resonate noise but my ears are detecting something that should be its due to the seat. If I held these freely in my hand or lay down on the bed with it sat on my tummy I guess would be lot different until I reach its tolerance limit where it may start heating up but so far its remaining cool on the outside by touching it with my hand.

12Hz 6.0 volts I can feel like my body is being sort of naturally vibrated I can't sense resonate noises but my tummy telling my brain "hey we getting a bit seasick down here easy on with voltage"!

10Hz 6.0 volt I I sense its really rolling off more now But I can sense vibration.

I guess the amplifier is really rolling off the frequency at below 10Hz as the voltage is dropping off rapidly.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
A note that I should post. While doing tests with only Dolby Stereo 424 though the Marnatz 6012 and switching another player on to then switching the mode on the AVR back to previous setting as I was checking the Marnatz 6012 ability that it can sense when its 2 or more channels the levels are indicated on Info button that puts up the display on the screen.

When resuming the playback I noticed it sounding like well distorted and at low soundtrack playback level. I tried the pink noise test on the AVR and that was all fine normal. Next it occurred to me that becuase this is getting more and more digital HDMI I switched off one the players and switched back the the problum was corrected so somehow the signal going from one few bluray players Sony BDP-S550 must have had a bad handshake with Marantz 6012. So if anyone experiences this just switch the player off and back on again. This sort of issue thou different issue happens in digital cinemas today which is why I stopped going as I can tolerate this in the home with this sort of issue but with digital cinema I can't tolerate it as they never do anything about it.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Ordered a second multimeter UT30B week or bit will arrive so I can do duel sub bass voltage readings as I don't like changing leads all the time and like to stay focused on what I''m doing.

39024280_10156428555425149_2337152307189252096_n.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Heat shrink tubing and Heat gun arrived yesterday.
I like it.
Caution after use don't remove the noel bare hands use a pair of pinches place aside and it will cool down before the Heat gun would as it takes 10 or so minutes so don't touch the end of it.

Took less so many seconds to melt the heat shrink tubing for tight fit around the cable join.
38949091_10156428114075149_966339917586104320_n.jpg
39042081_10156428113660149_1487734524820324352_n.jpg
38903811_10156428113975149_7371679642614235136_n.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
JBL 4645C arrived today, in good condition.

Courier kindly helped me lifting up the stairs Bit of a struggle lifting it up the stairs with catching my breath with each floor.

Another few hours finding a spot underneath the stage and just enough for a 3rd one. Fitting extra cable running back kitchen amplifier rack. Fitted a speakON to cable and push and twist into the Behringer inuke 3000. The extra rear smaller JBL 12" sub will have to run bridged on the extra Alesis RA300.

Sooty & Magic had a good sniff due to the smell it which I sort of like myself.

The two JBL 18" least one tried one at a time. The 4645C my goodness it THUNDERS!! Have to try FINAL APPROACH (1991) Laserdisc PCM DOLBY STEREO with those SR-71 Afterburners, later on.

STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE (1979) theatrical DOLBY STEREO, sounds great with the 4645C along with 4645 both subs running at low gain level have nice chesty sub bass feel.

JBL1.jpg
JBL3.jpg
JBL4.jpg
JBL5.jpg
JBL7.jpg
JBL8.jpg

Mr. Scott. The right subs for the right warp power speed.

JBL9.jpg

The port is hugest one I have seen up close on these JBL 4645C.
Another thing is Sooty may crewel inside as he did when he was a kitten inside the JBL 4645 port and now a big cat can't fit in the 4645 ports but he certainly would with 4645C if the head fits the body will fit.

1545834_10152174171415149_1977406502_n.jpg

Sooty kitten few months old liked crawling into voids.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Testing some movies with new JBL 4646C with both JBL 4645/4645C THX

Avatar (2009) used the five-screen channels
dtshdma 5.1 bluray
Air battle scene with the dragon flying ships and explosions thundered the floor.
39112107_10156431972965149_5187961086409703424_n.jpg

Final Approach (1991) ntsc laserdisc
Dolby Stereo PCM
The SR-71 blackbird afterburners rumbled the room the floor the seats.
39071441_10156432009640149_4955953485725040640_n.jpg

Titanic (1997) DVD region 1
Dolby digital 5.1 using the five-screen channels dialouge pans heard moving about.
Sub bass LFE.1 with that sinking feeling enough said. Well just as the Titanic aft end was going down the water pressure blasting out the aft end pressed into my chest!
39132386_10156431973990149_733087308961546240_o.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Garbage alien movie. Didn't care for the guy in hat or anyone else in this load of rubbish movie. dolby atmos garbage. I skipped though the chapters and watched this WTF rubbish in 20 mins? Although that was the most painful 20 mins ever. hdr was rubbish 4k was rubbish and rubbish goes into the cat litter.
39287867_10156441407410149_4402299366245662720_n.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Dreadful universal 4k of rubbish. dtsx what a load of garbage it was. The lfe.1 had been removed from some of the original scenes and it was plainly distracting load of garbage. It ended up in the cat litter. The dts THX laserdisc sounds far better. Also sounded weak in dynamic range so another reason dtsx ended up in the cat litter for brand new waste of garbage.

39387242_10156442923920149_2280842086188056576_n.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General

Total utter nonsense with "bouncy atmos" its a cheap con for those too lazy to fit lightweight or even heavy speakers to the ceiling or flush mounted within the ceiling.

Back around when I was young and seeing STAR WARS and many other DOLBY STEREO films over the years at the same odeon twin screen at bournemouth, uk.

Dolby Stereo CP50 was doing OVERHEAD SURROUND flush mounted at the now closed down odeon bournemouth back in the days of STAR WARS in screens 1 and 2.

Screen 1 upstairs had flush mounted arrays scattered evenly apart and guess what. It was "immersive storytelling" With a DOLBY STEREO CP50, not some enabled rubbish.

Screen 2 downstairs had the surrounds on the sidewall rear wall and again flush mounted scattered evenly about within the ceiling. Of course the signal is playing the same sound matrix mono rear channel source only scattered about to SURROUND THE AUDIENCE within the auditorium.

When I got a job with UCI cinemas guess what UCI 10 screen used EV Eletro-Voice speakers LCR behind screen no subs installed which should have for DOLBY SR prints and arrays of OVERHEAD SURROUNDS mounted on the ceiling in the same exact way as today in commercial atmos cinemas with the same spacing between them only back then there was less of them on the ceiling and they didn't extend far forward as now with rules being changed by Dolby labs.

UCI had 7 smaller screens all same design with 6 I think on the ceiling with odd placement as the odd one was at the rear back where it narrows toward the door entrance as you walk in further it widens out and then you notice evenly placed wait for it..... "OVERHEAD SURROUNDS" I mean is there any other name for it?

UCI 1.jpg

One of seven of the smaller screens with Overhead surrounds again these smaller ones original design no longer exists its been revamped. But that is how it originally looked in 1989. A ten plex cinema with Overhead surrounds with a Dolby CP55 with SRA5 and basic Quad modified amplifiers only x3 in the small mounted rack in the projection booths with booth monitor that had a feature to adjust the mono matrix surround level within few + and - db.

UCI 3.jpg

UCI screen 5 or 6 hard to tell also the design no longer exists its been altered I think around 2010 or 11?

The two same design larger screens 5 and 6 had I think 6 or 8 OVERHEAD SURROUNDS evenly placed and a little more to middle like on the ceiling not really in the middle but sure look like the same placement as it is today.

I must have listened to and felt dozens of DOLBY A-type DOLBY SR and when left few years later dts was installed so now its STEREO OVERHEAD SURROUNDS! Still no SUB BASS installed not until near 1999 or 2000 I noticed in smaller screens where a JBL 4645B when DOLBY CP500 SR-D was installed but the OVERHEAD SURROUNDS was taken down and replaced with the typical sidewall rear wall configuration for DOLBY STEREO / 5.1 / 70mm that is really sort of common in most cinemas its just these few cinemas had something different in placement and it really did work well.

So I heard original STAR WARS DOLBY STEREO a real one off kind of treat back in its day and many more DOLBY STEREO films.

It was strange to hear STAR WARS ''97 with OVERHEAD SURROUNDS again in screen 1 as screen 2 was gutted in 1989 halved up for 5 shoe-box screens.

Hearing the OVERHEAD with STAR WARS '97 in screen 1 got a lot of my trained ear listening attention! It really was again "immersive storyteller" and I don't think even skywalker sound had Overhead at the time. Yeah we British like to take surround further.

Sadly screen 1 must have had speaker issues near upper late 90's as the OVERHEAD didn't appear active and I noticed what a projectionist must have done was taken one of the pair Hi-Fi speakers used for those mini-hi-fi used in downstairs foyer for Rear back corners only surrounds and it sounded CRAP! Talk about cinemas on budgets but really mini-hi-fi speakers and I had to put up with crap matrix rear mono surrounded until 1999 when it was revamped with JBL 8330 same old 1960's speakers behind the screen with lousy bass and no subs but a new DOLBY CP500 and amps was installed from what I could see when standing on a seat at the rear back I could see in the port window and a dts decoder I think one of the higher class models? Thou no longer as odeon is CLOSED.

So that's a little bit about OVERHEAD SURROUNDS dating back 1977 its human to explore it and for as long as it lasted trained my ears.

Hearing atmos at the CLOSED Empire Leicester Square EMPIRE 1 I say closed as cineworld doesn't exist to me with crappy fake imax LIEMAX.

Hearing atmos first time with "captain spunker lens flare kirk" Overhead Right then Overhead left reminded me of UCI tower park 24 years at the time 1989 - 2013 just reminded me of UCI with OVERHEAD SURROUNDS I wasn't all that impressed so what if its discrete for all I know the atmos might have been f**d up and playing back with some sort of upmix decoder. Of Course it wasn't I'm just cynical about it as Dolby labs are lazy not to have placed a BELOW SURROUND CHANNELS I mean the whole thing fucking bores my ears to tears that I have to wait more years while these vultures scamming the public then release another version which has been going on now for decades with stereo hi-fi world.

Best sound one can hear is called REAL LIFE check it!

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
image.jpg

https://www.audioholics.com/editorials/dolby-atmos-one-year-later

The above picture says it all. There is no discrete channel for floor speakers yes floor as in smaller speakers firing upwards or best infloor providing of course the floor is wooden which would make it easier than drilling into concrete.

atmos doesn't provide anything with these fabricated artificial mixes to convince me or really draw me into an atmos movie.

I do matrix below surround its okay but a discrete version would be nicer.

If I was going underneath the water I should hear it like this. The water all around some of it in the distance up to so many feet or so away would have defused like sound the water lapping around near to me would have some focus to the individual waves lapping over one and another at below or depends on the camera angle and the person/s performers looking at Real Life and listening to Real Life yet the director and mixers ain't even trying hard enough to draw me into their "immerse storytelling".

If I went under the water I'd hear those lapping waves louder even thou its calm waters its just the loudness against the ears as well as the feeling of it the waves will be touching pressing against my body discretely and uniformly all at once. That is something I doubt an atmos could even achieve so I might as well jump into a swimming pool.

Next as I go under further I'd hear a muffled sound in my ears as water is in my ears and I'd hear some sort of muffled overhead that would only be short brief second or so. That's underwater. That is what atmos fails on so we all gonna have to wait few more years until the present atmos we have ends up on the landfill site surrounded by immersive storytelling seagulls?

I'm really not into wasting money on fake 4k picture on discs for atmos shake of Dolby atmos tracks as it appears bluray now is been given the elbow while 4k discs are pushed out with atmos, to paying more money, what a scam. Best wait few years for the prices to drop and buy them at "bin prices".

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Acquired rare Sony Dynamic Digital Sound SDDS wall plaque just not got around to fitting it up yet.
SDDS1.jpg

SDDS2.jpg

SDDS3.jpg

SDDS4.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Shuffled the other JBL around moved it out from under the middle placed it over at right side in the early AM hours.

JBL 1.jpg
JBL 2.jpg

Magic roaming around checking what I been doing maybe looking for a hiding spot?

JBL 3.jpg
JBL 5.jpg
JBL 6.jpg

Sooty watches a scene from Gravity.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
A second Behringer DCX2496 arrived today fast dispatch since brought yesterday.

I don't yet have any ideas what I want to use the two for?
I can ether connect the five-screen channels up to them with one extra remaining input/output channel.

The two front JBL subs don't need any crossover as that is handled by the Behringer inuke 3000-dsp amplifier.

D2.jpg
D3.jpg

Magic laying on the packing that was inside the box.

D4.jpg

Moved the Dolby CP500 down 1U frame and re-positioned the remote fader screwed to the side of the rack frame.

D5.jpg

Between one I have owned for some years pictured at top I noticed the second one pictured below is a version 1.14 where's my other is version 1.16. Displays are lit differently.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Waiting, patiently, for the litter-review of the new Predator movie. Thank you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis