Marantz AV7703 vs AV7704?

A

aceinc

Audioholic
Before I get out the reading glasses, print the specs of the AV7703 & AV7704, can anyone tell me what the major differences are except 1 digit?

Is it just a nameplate upgrade or is there something different between the two?

I am contemplating forklift upgrading my Emotiva XMC-1 (rather than paying $1,000 for the Emotiva HDR & Atmos upgrade) with an AV7703. Then I see that Marantz has introduced the AV7704 and have both on their website without a "compare" checkbox.

The AV7703 is available for ~$1,300 - ~1,500 whereas the AV7704 is still selling at MSRP $2,199.

A

aceinc

Audioholic
I don't know, but was thinking the Marantz comparison tool would be the way to go, but in the av separates category those are the only two of the six shown that aren't available for the comparison tool

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductListing.aspx?CatId=AVSeparates
I wonder why that is precisely? If I were a suspicious, I might think that there isn't much difference between the two. Or maybe they don't want you to compare them to the AV8802a.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would get the AV7703 for the significantly less expensive price.

It's like getting the Denon X4300 on sale for $800, instead of paying $1,600 for the new X4400.

A

aceinc

Audioholic
I would get the AV7703 for the significantly less expensive price.

It's like getting the Denon X4300 on sale for $800, instead of paying $1,600 for the new X4400.
So you're thought is, it is a nameplate upgrade as opposed to any functional (substantive) differences.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Before I get out the reading glasses, print the specs of the AV7703 & AV7704, can anyone tell me what the major differences are except 1 digit?

I am contemplating forklift upgrading my Emotiva XMC-1 (rather than paying $1,000 for the Emotiva HDR & Atmos upgrade) with an AV7703. Then I see that Marantz has introduced the AV7704 and have both on their website without a "compare" checkbox.

The AV7703 is available for ~$1,300 - ~1,500 whereas the AV7704 is still selling at MSRP $2,199.
Save yourself some money and get the 7703.

I have the 7702mkii and bought it when the 7703 was replacing it. The difference in the 2mkii and the 7703...HEOS and the Auro3D firmware upgradeI think was included...I've never tried to upgrade to but there may be a fee to do so with the 2mkii and no fee with the 7703.

This is what, 15-18 mos later, realistically what major improvements or processing has surfaced?...looks like a remote upgrade on the 7704....like you said, without drilling down into the fine print, I'm not sure there is much more. The one feature I don't have is balance input for a source...you don't get that feature until the 8802 model.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

For that kind of price difference, unless you need the added features on the 7704, go for the 7703, or the $800 AVR-X4300H and pretend that it is a prepro.:D The AV7703 or 7704 won't sound any better.

A

aceinc

Audioholic
For that kind of price difference, unless you need the added features on the 7704, go for the 7703, or the $800 AVR-X4300H and pretend that it is a prepro.:D The AV7703 or 7704 won't sound any better.
That is the point of this thread, what are the new features of the 7704 vs the 7703?

It appears I would lose HEOS, would anyone care to take a shot at whether/why the AVR-X4300H would be a better/worse choice than the Marantz units, for use as a pre-pro?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That is the point of this thread, what are the new features of the 7704 vs the 7703?

It appears I would lose HEOS, would anyone care to take a shot at whether/why the AVR-X4300H would be a better/worse choice than the Marantz units, for use as a pre-pro?
I thought the Marantz website allows you to compare, but a quick comparison can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2919260-official-2017-marantz-av7704-owner-s-thread.html

See post#1 and #18.

My opinion on the X4300H as a prepro compared to either model is base on my experience with two Denon AVR and two Marantz prepros, as well as from what I can see in the specs, online reviews and my correspondence with Marantz. Subjective reviews by magazines and users may have you believed one sounding better than the other by design and their ears. I don't rely on subjective reviews and users comments only.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
would anyone care to take a shot at whether/why the AVR-X4300H would be a better/worse choice than the Marantz units, for use as a pre-pro?
As already mentioned, the only reason to buy the X4300 is because the X4300 is $800 brand new on Amazon, which is a lot cheaper than the $1,500 AV7703, and the X4300 will sound equally as good as the AV7703.

The only reason to buy the Marantz is if you just want a "separate" component, which is understandable.

Personally I would rather have two X4300 for about the same price as one AV7703. :D

Last edited:
A

aceinc

Audioholic
I thought the Marantz website allows you to compare, but a quick comparison can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2919260-official-2017-marantz-av7704-owner-s-thread.html

See post#1 and #18.

My opinion on the X4300H as a prepro compared to either model is base on my experience with two Denon AVR and two Marantz prepros, as well as from what I can see in the specs, online reviews and my correspondence with Marantz. Subjective reviews by magazines and users may have you believed one sounding better than the other by design and their ears. I don't rely on subjective reviews and user comments only.
Thanks for the link. Here is the upshot so people can find it easier;

 Auro-3D now included at no charge
HDMI Diagnostics
 eARC (enhanced audio return channel) via future firmware update

It appears that Auro-3D is a competing format to DTS-X and Atmos. Are there any advantages, and do we think it will last, or become Betamaxed?

I take it from your comments that you believe the X4300H is the knee in the curve where you get the best bang for your buck? The lower priced units are lacking in some way, and the higher priced offer little or nothing when used as a pre-pro?

A

aceinc

Audioholic
As already mentioned, the only reason to buy the X4300 is because the X4300 is $800 brand new on Amazon, which is a lot cheaper than the AV7703, and the X4300 will sound equally as good as the AV7703.

The only reason to buy the Marantz is if you just want a "separate" component, which is understandable.
Another reason to buy the X4300 is you could continue to use your 7 channels of separate amplification and use the 4 height channels from the X4300, not spending additional money/space on more amplifiers. I imagine using the builtin amps for height would not put much load on the X4300 and still provide decent SQ and dynamics.

In my case I have 3 additional amplifiers to play with, a Sherbourn 5 channel, an Adcom GFA 555 SII and a NAD PE2200, but space might be a problem.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
use the 4 height channels from the X4300, not spending additional money/space on more amplifiers.
Except it has 9 amps of which unused channels cannot be reassigned. So, one it only power 2 height channels at a time. To get all 4 heights going, an onboard 2 channel amp is required :mad:.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Another reason to buy the X4300 is you could continue to use your 7 channels of separate amplification and use the 4 height channels from the X4300...
Well, you were thinking of just getting a pre-pro anyway and using all external amps.

So just use the X4300 as a pre-pro, save $700, and use all external amps that you were going to use.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis